Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murdoch and the Prime Ministers

13»

Comments

• Options
    The Sun destroyed Kinnock ..'Will the last person to leave Britain please turn off the lights'

Incidentally, Neil's son is married to Denmark's first woman Prime Minister .. the Kinnocks .. the new Tudors
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think Kinnock did a pretty decent job of destroying himself! Remember the Sheffield "victory" rally?
  • Options
    I think Kinnock did a pretty decent job of destroying himself! Remember the triumphant Manchester "victory" rally?
    welll ALLLLLLLLL RITE .. twat .. and then falling in the sea at the party conference.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sheffield I think....hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro
  • Options
    Robert Maxwell was worse than Murdoch. Not only did his newspapers support an incompetent and corrupt Wilson government, Maxwell and his family stole millions of pounds from his company's pension funds, monies belonging to working people.
    Eh? Wilson ceased to be PM in 1976. Maxwell did not own any British newspapers until 1984. Agree that Maxwell was scum though.

• Options
    Oh yes Sheffield. Solly.
  • Options
    Robert Maxwell was worse than Murdoch. Not only did his newspapers support an incompetent and corrupt Wilson government, Maxwell and his family stole millions of pounds from his company's pension funds, monies belonging to working people.
    Eh? Wilson ceased to be PM in 1976. Maxwell did not own any British newspapers until 1984. Agree that Maxwell was scum though.

you're right.. Maxwell was an MP under Wilson in the 1960s
  • Options
    I think it was Wilson who first called him the bouncing Czech
  • Options
    I think it was Wilson who first called him the bouncing Czech
    I've just read Maxwell's 'Wiki' entry .. it seems that all through his career he was far more a servant of and sponsored by Israel than of the UK .. that is why he was buried on the Jerusalem Mount of Olives, whereas superficially, as he had 'married out', under the 'Laws' of Jewish orthodoxy he had relinquished the right to be called Jewish. All in all, Maxwell was a despicable obnoxious character, however, as a man of his time, WW2 and after, perhaps his history and background had made him totally ruthless and greedy, without a shred of concern for other people. He was first and foremost a survivor as well as a crook. How DID he get away with it ??
  • Options
    I must say I never thought I would live to see the day that Murdoch was brought to heel like this. And not every country would have the institutions and mechanisms to make it happen.

It's taken a long time, but I feel proud to be British because of this.

Summed up by this article by Nick Davies, a journalist genuinely worthy of our respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must say I never thought I would live to see the day that Murdoch was brought to heel like this. And not every country would have the institutions and mechanisms to make it happen.

It's taken a long time, but I feel proud to be British because of this.

Summed up by this article by Nick Davies, a journalist genuinely worthy of our respect.
    Nick Davies should be honoured for his work on this, it has been his story from day one. One must not forget just how brave a thing it was/is to take on Murdock, even now he is on the ropes some polititians will not do it.
  • Options
    I think it's a bit premature to say that Murdoch has been 'brought to heel'. He and his kind are like cockroaches. You think they are finished but when your attention has been diverted, they come back
  • Options
    Blimey Loco I could hear you typing that from here!
    Who is worse? He who offers payment or he who accepts?

I have no problem with Murdoch or his empire.
    When they bribe policemen? Hack the phones of dead school children and numerous other people, when they have politicians in their back pockets...
  • Options
    I think Legal's likening of Murdoch to a cockroache is particularly apposite.I fear that Murdoch's 'bringing to heel' will amount to no more than him limping away and seeking out some other dung heap to exploit and procreate in.

• Options
    Possibly that pessimism is justified, but as i heard somebody say, in the past senior civil servants were given to say about a proposed policy "how will that play in the Murdoch press?", and those days are over.

And don't forget the Americans are waiting in the wings to see what comes out.
  • Options
    Prague,genuinely,can you enlighten me on the American issue?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yesterday Murdoch accused Gordon Brown of making a phone call to him after it became clear that the Murdoch empire was going to support the conservatives at the election. Rupert claims Brown said that the Government would declare war on News Int. Brown claims the call never happened. One of them is lying. Today Murdoch claims that the very senior staff at News Int ie him and his son were kept in the dark over phone hacking by less senior managers. In other words they knew nothing about any of the skulduggery being used by their Newspapers and their staff. This man is a about as low down the evolutionary tree as you can get in terms of everything decent and the politicians of every flavour guilty of toadying up to him over the years are below contempt.
  • Options
    Ah,Fox News.
  • Options
    Yesterday Murdoch accused Gordon Brown of making a phone call to him after it became clear that the Murdoch empire was going to support the conservatives at the election. Rupert claims Brown said that the Government would declare war on News Int. Brown claims the call never happened. One of them is lying. Today Murdoch claims that the very senior staff at News Int ie him and his son were kept in the dark over phone hacking by less senior managers. In other words they knew nothing about any of the skulduggery being used by their Newspapers and their staff. This man is a about as low down the evolutionary tree as you can get in terms of everything decent and the politicians of every flavour guilty of toadying up to him over the years are below contempt.
    i think going by brown's tempramental character, and the fact he's been known to vent at people who displease him. I wouldn't rule out that it's murdoch who's telling the truth here.
  • Options
    Ah,Fox News.
    No NewsCorp Fox is a subsiduary, Newscorp own Sky (39%) and News International (The Sun and the Times) here and Fox, National Geographic, the NY Times etc etc in the Sates. Under American law the head of any company trying to bribe or corrupt a foreign official is deemed responsible under the "foreign corrupt practices act". There were also suspicions of them gaining mobile numbers from 911 victims via a NY policeman although as both parties are in denial this is less likely to concern them.

The FCC licenses for broadcasters carry (as our law does) a fit and proper person clause, terminology maybe different. Fox is just one of many, there are also a host of radio stations.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I know the state offers free education but is it not a parents duty to ensure their offspring learn the important things in life?
    Well said Loco.
    I'll second that...