Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flashing Lights

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone know what the flashing light in tonights sky is? Happens every couple of minutes, almost like a light outside being switched on and off.

I have seen it in Mottingham, and my sister has seen in in Greenwich, as well as various sightings around South East London being announced on twitter. Are we being targeted by aliens, or is there a more reasonable explanation to this?

Comments

• Options
    Lightning
  • Options
    Very funny, but the reason I brought it up as it's nothing like Lightning I have ever seen, the whole sky goes bright and for more than a split second, and it's been very regular. There's been no sign of any thunder either, so is it a special type of lightning, and am I just too used to seeing a solitary bolt? Or is it something completely unrelated?
  • Options
    I don't mean to be rude... But are you serious?
  • Options
    I thought the same here in Swanley.............looked out about 10 mins ago to see if it was lightening as I hadn't heard any thunder.
  • Options
    Local weirdo forgot to turn the flash off his camera...
  • Options
    I'm working at baker st underground station tonight and was wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    While we're at it, I think there is some water falling out of the sky but it is stopping and starting...Any idea ?
  • Options
    The body snatchers have arrived. Do not go to sleep!
  • Options
    sam - sometimes when the storms are many miles away, you can see the lightning flashes but there is no thunder to be heard.

It is most likely that that is what you are experiencing as they talked of "isolated" thunder storms this evening. The fact that they seem regular flashes is because being that far away, you are seeing all the flashes from the whole storm, rather than when the storm is close by, when you mainly see only those close to where you are nut more intensively.

Hopefully that makes sense.
  • Options
    Thunder and lightning. Now rest your weary head
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be happier thinking the aliens are here, i mean they might take Iain Dowie for one of their own.
  • Options
    It was lightening, in enfield last night we had the maddest weather I have ever seen

Firstly a hail storm hit with the biggest hardest hail I have ever seen

And then lightening I think they call it sheet lightening as it seemed to go theft opposite way to normal lightening ,
  • Options
    Brilliant, forum gold!
  • Options
    I missed the lights last night, but I woke up to see giant flowers marching across my lawn this morning.
  • Options
    I noticed this last night and briefly wondered if it was lightning. About 10 mins later, it started chucking down, so there was my answer...........................alien invasion.
  • Options
    Is this thread what the newspapers call "the silly season" ?
  • Options
    Is this thread what the newspapers call "the silly season" ?
    Take your pick. There's plenty on here to choose from...............................
  • Options
    if it was misty sometimes the sky gets lit up by the trains. with the sparks from the tracks?
  • Options
    That's just stupid. We all know aliens don't drive trains.......................
  • Options
    BBC RADIO KENT ‏ @BBCRADIOKENT
    Owing to signalling problems between #HitherGreen and #Lewisham fewer trains are able to run and there are delays of around 15 minutes.

Hmmmmmmmmm...............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a similar vein I was driving in this morning and noticed there was some grey fluffy stuff that was really low, this grey stuff slightly obscured my view when I was driving, any ideas what this phenomenon is?
  • Options
    If we all start agreeing with each other then we know something is seriously wrong.
  • Options
    Were the lights anything to do with all the security stuff they are doing around the Olympics?
  • Options
    Anyone know what the flashing light in tonights sky is? Happens every couple of minutes, almost like a light outside being switched on and off.

I have seen it in Mottingham, and my sister has seen in in Greenwich, as well as various sightings around South East London being announced on twitter. Are we being targeted by aliens, or is there a more reasonable explanation to this?
    Blimey, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was out the back garden having a quick smoke last week and there was a lighting type strobe appearing every 30 seconds or a minute, I wasn't timing it but I was definitely transfixed by it. This is 100% true. Im with you sam i did wonder what it was but completely forgot all about it as went away next day.
  • Options
    I'm a season ticket holder, and when i asked if i could buy a seat where i usually sit, they said it was not available.
    What's that all about?
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Blimey, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was out the back garden having a quick smoke last week and there was a lighting type strobe appearing every 30 seconds or a minute, I wasn't timing it but I was definitely transfixed by it. This is 100% true. Im with you sam i did wonder what it was but completely forgot all about it as went away next day.
    The original tower at Canary Wharf has a lighthouse type beam that flashes every night. Depends on the night sky cloud coverafe as to how bright it appears.

Last night was lightening though, thr type you get in summer, very blue and there was a lot more lightening than thunder.
  • Options
    there was a light almost like a lighthouse type light strobe one night last week going into the sky. not lightening, it was like a helicopter search light but going up instead of down? as driving from new eltham towards lee, I would have said it was over Bromley way the direction it was coming from. weird.
  • Options
    Van Susans were filming the video for their next single "Fireworks"
  • Options
    I saw the strobe driving late last week and just presumed it was from canary wharf
  • Options
    I saw the strobe driving late last week and just presumed it was from canary wharf
    It is.
    There's nothing to see here. Move on. That's what the MOD said to me.