Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bad Old Day's

I was looking through some old box's when I found a "Operation Ewood -We are staying up" flag from our premiership relegation battle. I remember taking the plane up to liverpool airport where we got a coach to the ground. Does anyone remember going to that match away at Blackburn? (I know it wasn't the best of days and I shouldn't be bringing it up now but oh well :) )

Comments

• Options
    The bad old days were 1983/84!
  • Options
    you do make it sound like it was decades ago.

it was a shite day though.
    luckily i didn't go up. i was tempted but I’m never a fan on anything with the word 'operation' in it.
  • Options
    I'm 15 that was the bad old days for me lol
  • Options
    Hardly bad old days. They were more like the glory years.
  • Options
    Bad old days !?!?

If you call them the bad old days, You've had it good!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    OK, so what's everyone's personal low point?

Mine is 1974, we're sinking badly, we have literally gone beyond a joke, we are irrelevant. Charlton 0 Southport 1. Not a cup upset. In the league. In the f***ing LEAGUE.
  • Options
    As I only started going from around 1976 I can't comment on the above post, but my persoanl low point must be playing in the 1st round of the FA Cup after years of entering it from the 3rd round and then subsequently losing to Northwich Victoria - that season we had also lost to Hereford in the 1st round of the league cup & so we were out of the major cup comps (and with it the chance of playing anyone decent) by early November.
  • Options
    Stoke at home 1985. Could never feel lower than that.
  • Options
    be fair he said he's only 15!
  • Options
    Yeah but redlanered asked what other's low points were
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aimed at people above you al
  • Options
    Oops, sorry !
  • Options
    I was on one of the planes for operation Ewood, as said above it was a sad day but not the worst. I think Alan has nailed it because no matter the result or how bad the team plays leaving The Valley to ground share at selhurst park was the pits
  • Options
    I'll second Stoke in 1985
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bad old days of the 2009/2010 season sticks in the mind as a low point. Don't think I have ever seen a Charlton team so piss poor, gutless and clueless. You knew that most of that squad didn't give a toss and we had to sit and suffer that crap week after week. Bad times.
  • Options
    Bad old days of the 2009/2010 season sticks in the mind as a low point. Don't think I have ever seen a Charlton team so piss poor, gutless and clueless. You knew that most of that squad didn't give a toss and we had to sit and suffer that crap week after week. Bad times.
    Er, that was the season we finished third and two points off automatic promotion.....

• Options
    Er, that was the season we finished third and two points off automatic promotion.....

4th...He must mean one of the seasons either side of that.
  • Options

Yep, you're right, fourth behind the Scum.
  • Options
    2006 Carling Cup QF v Wycombe. 0-1. Real chance to get to a proper Wembley cup final. Then came Les Reed.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic 0 Blackburn Rovers 1, Full Members Cup Final, Wembley, March 1987.

a] Losing in a final at Wembley to a shite Blackburn team in a game we dominated.
    b] Only 40,000 fans there - and most of them were Blackburn fans.
    c] We were in the bottom three and seemingly doomed for relegation.
    d] We were homeless, skint and seemingly without much hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing at Home to bottom of the table Cardiff 1-4 on a Tuesday night in 1985, we were truly hopeless that night, think we were just above relegation zone in old Second Division (Championship level now).
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic 0 Blackburn Rovers 1, Full Members Cup Final, Wembley, March 1987.

a] Losing in a final at Wembley to a shite Blackburn team in a game we dominated.
    b] Only 40,000 fans there - and most of them were Blackburn fans.
    c] We were in the bottom three and seemingly doomed for relegation.
    d] We were homeless, skint and seemingly without much hope.
    It was more of an anti-climax for me. Depressing, BUT... It was the first time I had seen MY team at Wembley, and remember this was in the days when an appearance at Wembley meant something before every Tom, Dick and Harry played their semi-finals and play-offs there.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Apologies, I was referring to the glory days of 2008/09.

• Options
    Ive been going since 73/74, There have been too many Bad Old Days to remember. Thats what makes winning the League 1 title a big deal for our club. Echo redlanered above but more recently the 6 that Leeds scored against us at home sticks in my mind as a low point.
  • Options
    2006 Carling Cup QF v Wycombe. 0-1. Real chance to get to a proper Wembley cup final. Then came Les Reed.
    This was definitely one of my low points. One of the most venomous crowds I've ever experienced at Charlton.

That is part of what made winning the league against Wycombe six years later so special. The difference in atmosphere couldn't have been any bigger.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    There are a few.

71/2 when Barry Endean was strutting his stuff, 74ish as stated above, 79/80 relegation team was pretty grim and the year before not much better, 1984 for off field reasons, 1985 for off field reasons. 2008/9 for both Charlton onfield and personal offfield reasons.

Decision? Well speaking in purely footballing terms I'd choose 79/80.
  • Options
    Am I alone in thinking that the 'exodus' from the valley rejuvenated a club that was on the inexorable downslide? . The years of wandering in the wastelands of south and east London strengthened both the players and the fans who became determined to build a new jerusalem on the sacred valley turf. Lord Llewellyn came along at just the right time and with shrewd financial backing, and the support of a superb group of players, masterminded a climb to previously unknown footballing heights. But what goes up must come down and that has been our recent lot. Now .......
    The low point for me was the 70s. Three thousand or so spectators in the huge valley bowl watching demoralised and passionless CAFC teams being humiliated on a regular basis. Never again will that happen.
  • Options
    2006 Carling Cup QF v Wycombe. 0-1. Real chance to get to a proper Wembley cup final.
    Definitely one of the worst ever
  • Options
    The low point for me was the 70s. Three thousand or so spectators in the huge valley bowl watching demoralised and passionless CAFC teams being humiliated on a regular basis. Never again will that happen.
    Bad times ... and yet we still went week after week ... made the later Premiership days even more worthwhile ... and we did have Killer to make it fun :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Relegation season in 1979, think we won
    about 4 games all season.

The early to mid 80`s(grim)

3,000 crowds at The Valley

The Valley gates being locked

Leaving The Valley

Tuesday night matches at Selhurst Park

Greenwich council saying Nein you pigdogs!

Iain Dowie

Amdy Faye

Jimmy Traore

2 quick relegations and a spineless, gutless team that
    didn`t deserve to play for our football club!

All of this will be forgotten for a while come this Saturday
    afternoon! ;)