Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Different author, same story !! West Ham feedback

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
Very hard to judge having to play 70 mins with ten men. At that point we were 1-0 up and to be honest, pretty comfortable. You can play 20 mins with ten men, but not 70. Just a case of holding on for as long as you could. Sadly, it wasn't very long.

Hard to get a proper grip on the game sitting so low, but thought Faye did some bits and pieces quite well, and if he gets fit Reid will be an asset. Benty looked sharp which is a bonus, and great he has got off the mark early. On the negatives, our ball retention with 10 was poor, Herman seemed to have his boots on the wrong feet, while Sorondo and El Kak are never going to be a pairing. Fortune should of been there instead of one of them.

If your looking for positives, after we settled down after the first few minutes, i thought we looked comfortable to the sending off. Sadly that's where the positives end.

Comments

• Options
    aGREE eL kAK AND sORINDO CAN'T PLAY TOGERTHER. In all honestly, it's going to be a long season ....
  • Options
    hopefully too early to tell, but most thought it was going to be a tough start, lets hope everyone is in it for the long haul. Sadly my view that we've bought in the wrong areas looked painfully accurate at times today.

Note Sidwell scored for Reading as well....
  • Options
    Why didn't the referee send off Gabbidon for deliberate handball and why when he had not whisled for the free kick and Traore was only just getting up did he book him again, really poor refereeing.

Neither of their goals were offside though.
  • Options
    I reallly don't know know whether we are biased or not. but 2 things stood out out for me today with means the rules in the game are wrong. Traore got booked for an 'agressive' challenge which he won the ball clearly from. ok, a bit harsh, but i'll take it. then sent off for standing up and putting a foot out. Now put together, we're they any worse than konckesy deliberately taking out player down on the halfway line ? I think jnot. but it changed the whole game.

Its gone, let it go, and onwards and hopefully upwards.
  • Options
    What was the atmosphere like? Any new songs?
  • Options
    ok, not great, though the lower tier there doesn't make for creating a good atmosphere.
  • Options
    I think the most disappointing thing is to still see Holland and Hughes together in midfield. I would have rather seen Faye and Kish in the centre, dropping Holland.

From Steve Brown's commentary, it sounded like same old Charlton, can't keep the ball (with 11 that is). El Kak seemed to make for some tense moments. Don't think I heard Holland's name, other than in the announcing of the teams. Seems Hughes set-up one or two attempts at goal.

The problem with all the new training techniques and motivational talk, which I am in favour of, is that those 11 players still have to go out on the pitch and do it. When they don't, after more talk and more defeats, it then becomes twice as hard because they no longer believe all the hype.

Let's hope they can get going soon.

Do they still have the Premiership anthem ritual at the beginning?
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Was it really that bad? I saw enough in the 30 minutes with 11 men to be encouraged for the rest of the season.

Oh and does Steve Brown every say anything positive when he's doing the Radio London coverage
  • Options
    If that's directed @ me Rothko, then no, I'm sure it's not really that bad at all. I would rather see Faye and Kish together, with Holland missing out.

In terms of not keeping that ball, I think that is been a constant over the last few years, and I think Holland has a lot to do with it recently. I think we miss JT, cos he likes the ball at his feet and can hold on to it and beat players, which relieves the defence.

My point about the motivational hype is just a general one.

All in all, it's only the first of the season and it was Traore's sending off which made it difficult. It just makes sense to draw a line under it and try to get going next time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]If that's directed @ me Rothko, then no, I'm sure it's not really that bad at all. I would rather see Faye and Kish together, with Holland missing out.

In terms of not keeping that ball, I think that is been a constant over the last few years, and I think Holland has a lot to do with it recently. I think we miss JT, cos he likes the ball at his feet and can hold on to it and beat players, which relieves the defence.

My point about the motivational hype is just a general one.

All in all, it's only the first of the season and it was Traore's sending off which made it difficult. It just makes sense to draw a line under it and try to get going next time.

Nope it was directed at Steve Brown
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree, what was needed in the 2nd half was a dogged and discipled performance, i think Kish for Holland and Fortune for El Kak or Sorrondo would of made it harder for West Ham to break us down.

The main disappointing thing for me it was difficult in the circumstances to see what will be different this season, particular with what we do in possession and our approach play. With Man U next, again we are not likely to see a natural performance, so it probably be the Bolton game before we are likely to get a better feel of what the Dowie team will be about.
  • Options
    As resurrecting old threads seems to be flavour of the week at the moment I thought I'd give this one a bump.

And bloody depressing it is too. It all seems like another lifetime away now.
  • Options
    Amazing how accurate some of the comments were about it being a long tough season just after one game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Amazing how accurate some of the comments were about it being a long tough season just after one game.

Having saidthat, i think that is the charlton fans mantra, after one game and usually its right.