Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Free MP4 to .AVI Convertor

On the hunt for a bit of free software to do this.

Have tried a couple and the conversions are usually crap. File freezes or is jerky.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I use videora to do avi to mp4 not sure if it can do both ways...
  • Options
    Format factory
  • Options
    Try cnet - they should have reviews of whats available.
  • Options
    Try Handbrake, works well and can convert to lots of formats
  • Options
    Not saying it can't be done but think logically about it, MP4 is generally for ipods, phones etc, things with much smaller screens, so the conversion will always be lower in quality. Just like when you blow up a picture.
  • Options
    Format factory
    This

I've converted some stuff that uses some really odd codecs using FF and it's by far the most reliable at doing so when you need a GUI and don't have time to fart around doing it 'under the bonnet'.
    Not saying it can't be done but think logically about it, MP4 is generally for ipods, phones etc, things with much smaller screens, so the conversion will always be lower in quality. Just like when you blow up a picture.
    Don't mean to sound harsh here, but your post indicates that you don't understand the topic at hand, so probably aren't best placed to give technical advice about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Format factory
    This

I've converted some stuff that uses some really odd codecs using FF and it's by far the most reliable at doing so when you need a GUI and don't have time to fart around doing it 'under the bonnet'.
    Don't mean to sound harsh here, but your post indicates that you don't understand the topic at hand, so probably aren't best placed to give technical advice about it.
    It didn't sound harsh, just predictable that you have something negative to say about my post. I DO know what I'm talking about and would not comment on something I didn't understand. I have been using AVIs/DIVXs for years, downloading films/tv shows, ripping DVDs for compression or format issues and watching on my tv through the AVI/DIVX enabled DVD player I have. When I wanted to put one of them on my ipod or phone I would convert to MP4. If I wanted to test the conversion or new file type, I would play through Quicktime on my computer. It would load in a small screen, displaying similar quality to that of the original file on the tv. If I/one was to maximise the Quicktime screen to make the visual bigger, the quality level would decrease because it was designed to be displayed on a screen around 5-10cm.

So actually I know exactly what I'm talking about, and take offence to the claim that I would bother to comment on a topic I didn't understand. In fact I challenge you to find a topic where I've offered my 2 pence worth that I didn't understand without admitting it. (With the exception of animals, which, coincidently I just don't 'get').
  • Options
    Whoa - relax there chief. I don't even know who you are!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I believe that all the torrents are converting to MP4 because it has a better quality to file size ratio than the, now out dated, avi/divx codec, thus MP4 is going to be the future for large screens as well as small ones

If one downloads a video it might only be a available in MP4 but that won't play on older DVD players so conversion might be needed.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Leroy, but that's how I understand it.

I suspect Format Factory is the best, as I don't know tat much about it, but I've always used Handbrake for conversions - don't know if it converts to avi but it will definitely convert to iPad/iPhone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Format Factory sorted it.
  • Options
    I use any dvd and associated apps

plus vuze - torrent client - has some transposers i think and its free

Both are worth a look in general but i can't vouch for them for this particular thing