Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch invasions

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
I heard that two palace herberts invaded the pitch at selhurst last week.

Got me thinking we seem to have been very light when it comes to this, and can only think of a few.

I remember a guy i know soon after we returned to the Valley running out of F-Block and pushing over a Bristol player, i remember the big fat streaker (home to Blackburn ?), Vince has been drinking off his dash for Killer for 14 years, and i made into onto the turf with a handful of others after Leaburn scored up at Ewood Park in the early nineties.

I can also remember people on the pitch after scoring at Crewe and Walsall in the promotion season, and Southend before that, and one bloke at the New Den after we scored there.

Has there been any others ?

Were any of you on the pitch at the Stoke game when we left the Valley ?

Comments

• Options
    no. course not.

re the big streaker tho i was told by his mate that he ran up to Gareth Southgate and said "allright gareth mate my name is bla i think we must be related"... "not with the size of that we're not" was GS cruel reply.
  • Options
    oh actually my mate was on the pitch at the stoke game, ive seen him on the centenary dvd. i shall ask him to write an article for you.
  • Options
    Best one i saw was the cat who strolled onto the pitch during a Monday night match- sure they must have wonder WTF was going on- "it's not normally like this"
  • Options
    Not only was I on the pitch, (briefly) but I took home some of it too.

A part of the Old Valley pitch continures to thrive in Foots Cray.
  • Options
    after sealing our promotion to the top flight with a draw against wimbledon at selhurst.1986.
  • Options
    Only ever been on pitch at Stoke Game last at Valley to pick up some turf that is still in my Mum's back garden & when we got promoted under Lennie not the Wimbledon game but the Midweek one previous vs Fulham where we were all but assured of promotion to old First Division.
  • Options
    The best one I remember was a Welling United one. It was Paul Barrons last game against Northwich maybe. Players fighting, supporters running on and trying to fight .... so much fun
  • Options
    AFKA,

I remember that Blackburn game well.When Leaburn scored me and my mate climbed on the fence thinking we were all big and tough,when I notice about half a dozen lads on the pitch!I seem to remember the steward just looking bemused and ushering you all back in.Great day that was.

Think that other incident when someone leapt out of the covered end and shoved a player was against Notts County,not Bristol.He's put on some serious weight that lad too,doubt he'll be vaulting anything anytime soon!(No offence to your mate!!)
  • Options
    I remember the Spurs fan who jumped on to the pitch when Ginola scored (I think) to make it something like 4-2 (it was a midweek game but otherwise it's all a bit hazy) - he was then ushered into the East Stand and promptly received a right hander for his troubles from one of the natives.
  • Options
    AFKA...A lot of these pitch invasions probably happened before you were born but from my dim and distant past...

There was a pitch invasion against Stoke in the league cup c1977. Two fella's ran the length of the pitch to confront the Stoke fans.

Then there was the infamous Sunderland pitch invasion in the mid 70's when the South Stand was being constructed. The Sunderland fans were placed on the East Terrace and decided to take the quick route out of the ground across the pitch. This prompted a mass pitch invasion by Charlton fans.

Around the same time there was a pitch invasion against Brighton. Again they were located on the East Terrace and Charlton fans were trying to get to them via the pitch in the NE Corner. That, BTW, was a classic match. 1-0 down, 2-1 up, 3-2 down. Went on to win 4-3.

There was a confrontation on the pitch between Charlton and Cardiff fans in the early/Mid 70's...

And the best pitch invasion of the lot...1975 against Preston to celebrate promotion to the old 2nd Division. Thousands of Charlton having a knees-up and singsong
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Wolves coming on in the early 80 to celebrate their promotion. Charlton piled on to help them celebrate with some fisty cuffs.
  • Options
    Boro came on the pitch last day of 93/94 when they'd done us 5-2 with,i think,a John Hendrie hat trick.They were carrying him on their shoulders,all quite good natured.The Covered End then poured on and there was some good natured banter for a fair while til the pitch got cleared.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]The best one I remember was a Welling United one.

That was the other thing that annoyed me about this summer's Welling game - the weather was so bad, invading the pitch afterwards was a bad idea!
  • Options
    what about the 2 at Blakcburn at home ;ast season.

I made it on to the pitch Wimbledon at home when we got promotion AT Sellout