Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Looking for a Car

edited May 2012 in Not Sports Related
I've been looking and looking for a car in London over the past few days, I am 21 so I am looking for a car which has a relatively low engine size (1.2-1.6litre) preferably with as low a mileage as possible, and with a budget of £1,000-£1,800. I have been looking online on things like autotrader but I generally have had a bad experience from trade sellers, has anyone either seen a car that matches this description for sale? Or has anyone seen a decent car dealer in the south east london area that they could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hope you've thought about insurance. It's gonna hurt.
  • Options
    I can get insurance for around £1,000. A lot better than it has been in the past... It goes down significantly once you are 21 and have had your licence for 3 years. Luckily I have just got both.
  • Options
    That's reasonable these days.
  • Options
    He meant £1,000 a month Shooters :-)
  • Options
    Hahaha
  • Options
    Jesus. I moan about having to pay £250. My advice is to get an oyster card.................
  • Options
    Jesus. I moan about having to pay £250. My advice is to get an oyster card.................
    I agree entirely about the Oyster card thing, too many young people believe they need a car for going round the city. I want one so I can drive to a house in france (a few times a year with mates) renting a car for a week incurs a £200 premium as I am under 25, on top of the £230 rental fee (£430) on top of flights for 4 people (£970 return) = £1,400

Ferry + petrol + tolls = £500 return.

3 times a year = a saving of £2,700
  • Options
    Going to France a few times a year with your mates.................................Carp Fishing by any chance???
  • Options
    Haha, it's more of a chance to relax with several beers by a nice pool, and on top of that my girlfriend is giving me non stop grief over not going on holiday enough with her in the past 3 years (went camping once to Dartmoor for a week, proper special)
  • Options
    No worries, just thought I would ask as there is some very nice Carping to be had in France, a few beers round the pool sounds just as good though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah might give it a go then, don't mind a bit of fishing and it fits in with my relax for a while ethos haha. Need a car to get there first though!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'd say don't be too hung up on buying something with low mileage. Modern engines are very good and can do high mileages - just be sure that it's been regularly serviced.

Also, low mileage is not always a good thing - cars are built to be used, if they are left standing for long periods of time you get problems - brakes seizing on, rubber hoses perishing, etc. Some years ago a friend and I had the same model of car. I had a job which involved a lot of travel and his car sat outside his house most of the week - he had far more go wrong with his than I did with mine, over about an 8 year period.
  • Options
    Also, when looking at the milage, try to find out what type of journeys the previous owner used the car for. A motor with 120,000 miles of motorway use is going to be in better condition than one with 60,000 that's just been used around the towns.
  • Options
    Good point Tango - my driving was mainly motorway. Sold the car with 123,000 on the clock - it was good for double that I should think.
  • Options
    Cheers guys :-)
  • Options
    Oh and another thing! On some cars major work is required at certain mileages. I made the mistake of buying a low mileage car which had 53,000 on the clock, not realising that the cam belt would need to be changed at 60,000. I would've been better off buying one with 70,000 on the clock which had had the cam belt done.

So you need to do a bit of research and make sure any jobs like that have been done before you buy.
  • Options
    Hate trade with a passion, want 30-40% mark up on everything on the forecourt, even on stuff under £2k and if you go in there with anything to barter with they want to give you half it's real value. Keep searching those private ads, even a website like carandclassic.co.uk will have a lot of newer vehicles on there. Never used eBay myself but friends have and generally had good experiences. Agree re the engine comments above. Don't forget the usual things when you do finally get to see the car, give it a proper look over (any rust and walk), a thorough test drive (go right through the 'box), press all the buttons and also be aware of the more disreputable tricks people get up to like pre-starting, pre-warming the car before you turn up. Research and knowledge on a model's particular/common faults is needed too.