Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anthony Wordsworth!!

Was chatting to a mate before I played football on sunday and hes convinced this is a done deal. As the game was about to kick off i did not have time to ask him his source. He is however normally pretty reliable.

I dont know a great deal about Wordsworth apart from he plays midfield and looked decent against us.

Was wondering if anyone else has heard this rumour and what they know about the player?

Comments

• Someone posted on here that a pre-contract deal was sewn up a couple of weeks ago. Jacko mark II?
  • Posted on rumours but I heard on sat he's signed
  • edited May 2012
    This was on Sky yesterday , he obviously is saying all of the right things which does not mean he could not be tempted away.

Colchester midfielder Anthony Wordsworth has stated his intention to stay at the club next season.

The U's leading scorer recently collected the player of the year award and his future has been subject to much speculation with only a year remaining on his contract.

But the 23-year-old admits there is no reason why he wouldn't be at the Weston Homes Community Stadium next term.

"I've got another year at Colchester. It's up to the gaffer, and I don't see why I won't be here for another year," he told the East Anglian Daily.

"I feel like I'm getting better and better as a player, and I've managed to get a bit of consistency this season.

"I've got used to playing in central midfield, and feel comfortable there. My fitness levels have also improved."

• That's all well and good but if he's only got one year left Colchester will undoubtedly want to sell. He only mentions staying with them for another year and I can't see Colchester running the risk of letting him leave on a free.
  • Colchester have been working very hard to ensure that their paybill to turnover ratio is in line with the incoming League 1 salary cap. As one of the teams with lower attendances (less revenue) in that division, a reasonable cash offer may prove hard to resist.
  • If he's got a year on his contract he won't have signed a pre-contract with us. He can only do that if his contract is expiring this year. That's not to say we've not agreed a deal with the Us of course.
  • A tweet to Anthony yesterday

And a great reply from man himself

To right an all, Wimbledon struggling so why shouldnt he celebrate a win.
  • On that point did anybody else notice Ryan Babel not celebrate scoring against the Scousers? I mean how many games did he play for them, before skulking off as a renowned failure? He just scored an equaliser against one of the best teams in Europe, so should be ecstatic - if I was a Fulham fan I would be seriously unimpressed with that.

• On that point did anybody else notice Ryan Babel not celebrate scoring against the Scousers? I mean how many games did he play for them, before skulking off as a renowned failure? He just scored an equaliser against one of the best teams in Europe, so should be ecstatic - if I was a Fulham fan I would be seriously unimpressed with that.

That's how I feel about players doing that. it isn't gracious it is the opposite 

On that note it seems every single one of our previous players go batshit when they score against us 
  • Carter said:
    On that point did anybody else notice Ryan Babel not celebrate scoring against the Scousers? I mean how many games did he play for them, before skulking off as a renowned failure? He just scored an equaliser against one of the best teams in Europe, so should be ecstatic - if I was a Fulham fan I would be seriously unimpressed with that.

That's how I feel about players doing that. it isn't gracious it is the opposite 

On that note it seems every single one of our previous players go batshit when they score against us 
    Yeah , cos we have prolly cried cos they went on to get a better contract and prospects elsewhere and given the player grief for even thinking of leaving us .

I loved it when Solako scored for us and give it to palace in our Championship winning season during our 12 wins on the bounce 
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    On that point did anybody else notice Ryan Babel not celebrate scoring against the Scousers? I mean how many games did he play for them, before skulking off as a renowned failure? He just scored an equaliser against one of the best teams in Europe, so should be ecstatic - if I was a Fulham fan I would be seriously unimpressed with that.

Yann started to apologise before his first for Reading crossed the line and gave a ‘what can you do?’ shrug on his second 
  • Did anyone see JFH on MOTD2 last night, they spoke about Babel not celebrating and he said he thought it depended on how close you were to your previous club, and mentioned for us against Chelsea "because he had been there four years". He seemed to forget the two at Chesterfield and the one against Middlesbrough that he didn't bother celebrating either...     
  • edited March 2019
    Surely it is down to the individual player. 
  • Yann never celebrated against us and I am pretty certain that practically everyone on here thought it was a fitting gesture. 

For me it's down to the player. 
  • I have no problem with an ex-player celebrating if they score against us if they have been getting grief from the crowd (Charlton reject etc), but when Yann and others who have been loved score, it is nice that they show some respect.
  • Neither Scott Parker or Andy Reid celebrated in front of us either; the latter was extremely respectful when Forest scored at the Valley a few years ago - As for Scott I remember him scoring the sole goal for Newcastle in front of the Covered End when they lost 3-1 at the Valley in our last season, he celebrated but did so by purely turning his back on us and going to celebrate with the Newcastle fans in the Jimmy Seed which I thought was pretty fitting
  • Forget the sentiment, i want to see every player celebrate like Adebayor did when he scored for City v Arsenal
  • Neither Scott Parker or Andy Reid celebrated in front of us either; the latter was extremely respectful when Forest scored at the Valley a few years ago - As for Scott I remember him scoring the sole goal for Newcastle in front of the Covered End when they lost 3-1 at the Valley in our last season, he celebrated but did so by purely turning his back on us and going to celebrate with the Newcastle fans in the Jimmy Seed which I thought was pretty fitting
    It was some goal too if I remember correctly?!?
    It was some goal too if I remember correctly?!?
    Yeah was very similar to those that he scored when we lost 3-2 @ Southampton
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    If a player had been with us for several years and was a real fan favourite, then yes I think it correct that they don't celebrate a goal or at least keep it respectful. After the game is a bit different though, it's quite right a player should celebrate a win with his fans.

However with a player who barely appeared for us or was unpopular it would look a bit ridiculous. If say Roger Johnson scored against us in the FA Cup I would expect him to celebrate fully.
  • Most players are with clubs for such a short time now that it's unlikely they feel any emotional attachment especially in the Prem.

If a player has been with you several seasons, is loved by the fans and feels like parr of the club history then if they celebrate when scoring against you it will annoy.

• Carter said:

Players not celebrating for their current club is the equivalent of being out shopping in Bluewater with your wife and suddenly letting go of her hand as you see your ex coming out of M&S. 
    That must have been difficult.
    The Covered End had been giving him abuse & he made a big thing about sprinting to the Jimmy Seed stand pushing his fellow players away who were trying to celebrate with him to stand in front of the geordies