Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moscow - Safe/Unsafe?

DA9DA9
edited May 2012 in Not Sports Related
Mrs is out there next week for a couple of weeks delivering training sessions for her firms local office, safe or unsafe, any tips, places to avoid, scams to look out for?

Cheers lifers

Comments

• Options
    Just spend the companys money....................
  • Options
    We went a few years ago and didn't encounter any problems E. Didn't stray too far from the touristy areas though. Fantastic place, although I think prices may have risen since we were there.
  • Options
    When I went to Romania the locals told me to watch out on two people walking up to you in plain clothes and just flashing a badge saying they are police and asking to see your documents (passport etc), they would then say they have to verify it at a local cop shop and to collect it later in the day.if you allowed them to take it you would be taking a trip down the local embassy! A big scam in eastern Europe and Russia I have heard
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Same as any world city, some places are no go for visitors, best advise would be for her to get advise from the local workers.

Edit, I second what Dave said, great place to visit
  • Options
    We went a few years ago and didn't encounter any problems E. Didn't stray too far from the touristy areas though. Fantastic place, although I think prices may have risen since we were there.
    Her hotel and office are right next to Red Square/The Kremlin.

• Options
    She should be fine then, the demonstrations are not in that part which would be the only thing to watch for.
  • Options
    My boss is Chelsea and he was out there for the Euro final a few years ago. They were told not to leave the hotel unless they were in a large group otherwise they'd be sorted out by gangs who drive around in cars looking to beat tourists up. Doubt that would happen to your Missus though, E.
  • Options

Should be fine then mate.
  • Options
    She should be fine then, the demonstrations are not in that part which would be the only thing to watch for.
    :-)

• Options
    My boss is Chelsea and he was out there for the Euro final a few years ago. They were told not to leave the hotel unless they were in a large group otherwise they'd be sorted out by gangs who drive around in cars looking to beat tourists up. Doubt that would happen to your Missus though, E.
    Cheers

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Cheers D

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2012

Cheers all
  • Options
    Been there a few times on business trips, there isn't really an official taxi system so suggest to make sure her company has arranged transport while there otherwise its just flagging down a lada and getting in......
  • Options
    Been there a few times on business trips, there isn't really an official taxi system so suggest to make sure her company has arranged transport while there otherwise its just flagging down a lada and getting in......
    Luckily there is a group of 6-7 going, and she is travelling with one female colleague, all transport arranged (limo to be exact, law firm, loads of cash), hotel looks top class, the Hotel National, cheers BFP

• Options
    I lived in Russia for 6 months in 2008, there are no problems on the street especially in central Moscow. Even the unofficial cabs are safe but obviously be on the safe side and don't take them, especially late at night and not alone. If you are white as well, it helps! If your wife is of any other ethnicity i would generally advise staying off the street in the evenings especially. Officials may ask for bribes but i suppose your wife is unlikely to come into contact with any police while she is there!
    My main tip would be to enjoy !
  • Options
    I lived in Russia for 6 months in 2008, there are no problems on the street especially in central Moscow. Even the unofficial cabs are safe but obviously be on the safe side and don't take them, especially late at night and not alone. If you are white as well, it helps! If your wife is of any other ethnicity i would generally advise staying off the street in the evenings especially. Officials may ask for bribes but i suppose your wife is unlikely to come into contact with any police while she is there!
    My main tip would be to enjoy !
    Thanks for this, how about white irish gingers (she says strawbery blonde)

• Options
    Allways bag up, but probably another "not applicable"
  • Options
    On the underground everyone looks at you like they hate you, but apart from that it's a great place to visit. I stayed in Hotel Ukraine twice which was great, but there are several other buildings that look very similar and I did end up leading a group to the wrong one, which made me look like a twat.
  • Options
    I have very negative views of Moscow but not for unsafe reasons. They're are mainly just very grumpy people and the food is awful.
  • Options
    St Petersburg is definitely nicer, but there is something very impressive about Moscow. It helps if you like soviet era architecture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If she meets a vertically challenged local called Putin tell her to run for it!
  • Options
    Yeh I must admit moscow is my least favourite place that I have visited for business or pleasure, never had any real problems but felt very uneasy about the whole area. Also had to pay a customs official at the airport last time 2 of us were there.....
  • Options
    If your there for football with England, dodgy as fuck.
    She should be fine though!