Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Konchesky

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
is a first rate cock

one of the worst players to pull on an England shirt - up there with the likes of Keith Curle & Geoff Thomas

i know he came through the ranks, i remember his goal against Oxford but unilke pretty much every other ex-Charlton player he has no zero respect from me or a lot of other, over the way he left & subsequent attitude

thought he was too big for us,?? Well he's crap & not fit to lace the boots of the likes of Chris Powell & Benjaminn Thatcher

or am i being harsh on the boy?

Comments

• Options
    Slightly harsh. The trouble is he's an OK wing back, but he's not good enough positionally to play orthodox full back in a 4-4-2. Some of his best games for us were on the left and centre midfield - remember that game against Chelsea where he got harshly sent off for an alleged elbow? He had a blinder that day up til then. But he's so fixated on the fact that he's a left back that he doesn't like playing elsewhere.

I was glad Shaun Newton got a good reception today. He's another player that isn't the brightest in the world, but at least has enough sense to know that badmouthing your former clubs can backfire on you.
  • Options
    Konchesky is an absoloute c***.
  • Options
    nah,you are spot on.although i felt his booing was a bit harsh today.

absolutely bbattered typing this and i think the guy is a fanny.
  • Options
    I had a bit of respect for him but soon lost it all today.Sorry Konch you bald,Britney lookalike.
  • Options
    "Britney...Whats the score?

Britney, Britney. Whats the score?"

Classic!!
  • Options
    I remember an interview he and Scott Parker did with Mark Bright. Bright asked them where they want to be in 5 years time. Parker gave the textbook, I want to be with Charlton, taking them to Europe. Konchesky mumbled, I want to be at man united. The guy's a tit.
  • Options
    yeah I remeber that.......

He was rubbish yesterday as well, he got wound up, got booked, we kept putting it on him, he knew he wasnt curbs first choice, only in through injury....

Also... we know that there were several players would have greeted the news curbs was coming with total disappointment.... not what you need in a relegation battle. I wonder if that jug eared weird looking biscuit merchant knew the history curbs had with several of the West Ham players when he appointed him??
  • Options
    My mate Shadow -The Whammy, couldn't believe how good he was last year in the early part of the season. He wanted him picked for England. I said you wait until he gets picked, his form will disappear and so it did. His problem is that he isn't as good as he thinks he is. He is a reasonable wing back but he's just not good enough as a full back. I don't blame him for being thick and inarticulate, he just needs to wake up and smell the coffee. He will be a better balanced player when he learns to accept his limitations. Look at the difference between him and say Holland. Holland knows he's not the best technically but he makes up for that with his brillantly professional hard working modest attitude, something Konchesky can only dream of emulating.
  • Options
    This is a really interesting debate on Konchesky because at first glance he can seem like a really decent player and for a long time I really struggled to understand why Curbs was not giving him a chance to make himself the first choice at left-back.
    However, when you go back and watch the highlights of games it is amazing to see how many goals get scored by people getting in behind Konchesky because of his poor positioning, caused by either a concentration lapse or getting caught upfield, just look at the goals on Saturday!
    Even when he moved to the Spammers and they were playing well last season they were really vulnerable down that left side and Dazza showed him a clean pair of heels at The Valley to set up Bartlett for the opening goal in that game in December 2005.
    That's why Curbs does not rate him as a left back, simply because although he looks the part (good on the ball, agressive tackler, decent in the air, good on set-plays) he does not read the game as well as someone like Powell who very rarely got caught out against even the quickest forwards because he knew how to block off runners space.
  • Options
    indeed.i always feel that it was great buisness from curbs to get 2.5m for him. just what sort of clown would pay that kind of money for him.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha, Touche!!!
  • Options
    Ambroses goal came down his side, he lost the ball to Hasselbaink for Bents goal and thomas' second came down that side too. Says it all really.
  • Options
    I didnt boo Konch, always quite liked him as a player apart from when he played left back.

Always remember seeing him at Lakeside once when I was wearing my Charlton shirt and he stopped me for a chat. Nice fella but a bit deluded about his ability as a left back. He was shocking Saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Ambroses goal came down his side, he lost the ball to Hasselbaink for Bents goal and thomas' second came down that side too. Says it all really.[/quote]

The first and last goals came from crosses from the right - Marcus Bent to Ambrose for the first and then Ambrose to Thomas for the fourth. I think he was more at fault for the first, having allowed M Bent to get behind him and get the cross in, but saying that Ambrose was left unmarked in the box.
  • Options
    Other than Tevez he was the only Hammer who looked interested. He constantly tried to get forward (hit a drive across the goal mouth at 0-0) but was caught out defensively on many occasions. Curbs only played him cos McCartney was injured on Friday. A better wide midfielder than full back.
  • Options
    So long as Konch believes he is a left back (and has an England future there...yeah, right) he will continue to underachieve. Probably his best spell of football was at Spurs on loan playing left mid. Talk about blind ambition...
  • Options
    I remember when he came back from his Tottenham loan & his first game back Curbs put him on in front of the back four as a sub to help us close out a game we were winning narrowly. He went right through some bloke with a magnificent tackle winning the ball. Totally committed player, but a bit of a liability at times. As a player I had no problems with him, just the stuff that comes out of his mouth.
  • Options
    'Britney, what's the score!!!'
  • Options
    to be fair, konch is not a left back and, short of seeing spector playing in that position for west ham on saturday, it was nice to see him in that spot...and it was good of him to signal the point that west ham had thrown in the towel when he took out ambrose from behind with a sliding tackle...
  • Options
    Don't normally agree with booing former players who put in the effort for us.

Although I didn't boo him myself I can understand why Konch got it though. He has said some disparaging things in the press and made it crystal clear for a long time before going that he wanted away.

Newts on the other hand got a good round of applause which he fully deserved. He also had the class to clap the Covered End after the game. Top Man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Don't normally agree with booing former players who put in the effort for us.

Although I didn't boo him myself I can understand why Konch got it though. He has said some disparaging things in the press and made it crystal clear for a long time before going that he wanted away.

Newts on the other hand got a good round of applause which he fully deserved. He also had the class to clap the Covered End after the game. Top Man.

I didn't boo him either Len. He made some disparaging remarks about us after he went. Big deal Benny Hill. He is employed as a footballer, not a PR expert and a brain surgeon.

"Shock horror, footballer leaves and then slags off former club, manager and always wanted to play for new team". If I had a pound for every time I heard that one...........

Us fan's get hung up too much on loyalty issues when frankly, there is very little loyalty left in the game. We all clapped Newts when he came on. Why? Because he was off loaded whereas Konch wanted out. (Or thats what they'll have you believe). Hey I'm just as much a sucker for the romantic loyality story as the next person because it give me a nice warm feeling but the reality is that players are bought and sold. Some appear to go willingly, some reluctantly and some engineer their departure. Some praise their former employers, some keep quiet, and others slag off. Which players are being truthful and which are covering up their duplicity?
  • Options
    Bing, wise words - you hit the nail on the head. Times have changed - loyalty is a thing of the past, with a few exceptions.

You should forthwith be known as the 'Sage of the East Stand' to be seen wandering amongst your flock at the half time interval!

Seriously, great comment...
  • Options
    But football isn't sensible, never has been and never will be.
    Fans scream abouse at players all game and if one turns round and sticks a finger up they all have heart attacks.
    We are all hypocritcal, well real fans are. Imagine if we signed Robbie Savage or Joey Barton. Would you boo them or cheer them. Yes of course we would cheer them. It's just the way it is. No amount of sensible talk is going to change it.
    I think Konch was put off his game, I think he got a far worse reception than he expected.
    Also people who cannot feel anything for the West Ham fans on Saturday do not understand what it's all about.
  • Options
    Cheer Robbie Savage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not while I have breath in my lungs
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]But football isn't sensible, never has been and never will be.

I freely admit I am a fan and therefore will always be an irrational and hypocritical. I acknowledged that with my earlier post. The Robbie Savage point is a good one. I'd rather call it the Ben Thatcher point. I was very much against us buying him. I hated him, his Spanner connections and his thuggish reputation. I have posted over the last few days that he has won me over. Why? Because he's Charlton now and playing great for my team. Hypocritcal and irrational? Yep that's me.

On the subject of booing, I just don't like it. You say Konch played crap against us and that his reception was a big factor in that. He did have a 'mare but I think that was more to do with his lack of form/ appearances prior to the game and his obvious displeasure at Curbs favouring McCartney . On the other hand booing him could have made him more determined and effective. That's why I dislike booing - because more often than not, the player booed plays a blinder or scores.

On the other hand we stood and applauded Newts. Did he play well because of it?
  • Options
    For the record, I don't boo. Never have.
    As for Newts, I think his reception may have had somethig to do with us being 3 nil up with 20 mins left!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]For the record, I don't boo. Never have.
    As for Newts, I think his reception may have had somethig to do with us being 3 nil up with 20 mins left!

Fair enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    Also people who cannot feel anything for the West Ham fans on Saturday do not understand what it's all about.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]is a first rate cock

one of the worst players to pull on an England shirt - up there with the likes of Keith Curle & Geoff Thomas

i know he came through the ranks, i remember his goal against Oxford but unilke pretty much every other ex-Charlton player he has no zero respect from me or a lot of other, over the way he left & subsequent attitude

thought he was too big for us,?? Well he's crap & not fit to lace the boots of the likes of Chris Powell & Benjaminn Thatcher

or am i being harsh on the boy?

Harsh on Geoff Thomas I think! Geoff Thomas is a thoroughly decent bloke and does not deserve that comparison.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited February 2007
    he might be a nice bloke and all that, but for england, he hit the corner flag with a shot ffs!