Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best finish to a title race?

I can only think of two off of the top of my head, '89 and yesterday, of which I would rate '89 higher as Liverpool lost the title on their home ground/fortress on goals scored.

Which of the two was the better finish and can you think of one that was even more dramatic?

Comments

• Options
    Possibly the Arsenal Liverpool one in the eighties. Can't deny yesterday was fantastic drama - the only thing that spoilt it a bit for me was that I didn't wan't either team to win it. Man City have spent silly money - not altogether wisely but have succeeded by the sheer weight of it and United are United.
  • Options
    The '89 Arsenal just eclipses it due to the fact that no-one at that time could beat Liverpool at Anfield, let alone by 2 goals.

It was also helped by the fact that it was the delayed last game of the season, played on it's own. All was at stake and it was still decided in the last minutes.
  • Options
    Enjoyed both very much but the Liverpool v Arsenal match edges it for me.

Neither a patch on ours v Sunderland though and there must be loads of other games that have decided titles and/or relegations that were equally entertaining but don't get a fraction of the hype that one will in years to come.

How about Jimmy Glass scoring in the last minute for instance?
  • Options
    Yesterday tops it for me, based on the fact that it was between two major rivals. One of which has been taunting the other for decades and have always had the rub of the green go their way against them in injury time.

You honestly couldn't have written it better if you were a City fan. It can't be topped.
  • Options
    Best end of season for me, was only 6 in 89. The fact that both of yesterdays games were televised made the armchair fan feel a proper part of it too. I was exhausted after watching that, can only imagine how the fans at the ground felt :)
  • Options
    In thirty years of watching football I have never seen anything like Yesterday.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yesterday tops it for me, based on the fact that it was between two major rivals. One of which has been taunting the other for decades and have always had the rub of the green go their way against them in injury time.

You honestly couldn't have written it better if you were a City fan. It can't be topped.
    Apart from in '89, when Arsenal won 0-2 at Liverpool. Took the title from Liverpool who were top, in added on time, needing to win by 2 goals. Edited.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jiBIdtUKhs
  • Options

Apart from in '89, when Arsenal came from behind to win 1-2 at Liverpool. Took the title from Liverpool who were top, in added on time.
    You're rewriting history!
  • Options
    This one, I mean any good race ends with us top of the league
  • Options
    michael thomas winner takes it for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'It's up for grabs now!' The great Brian Moore yelling as Michael Thomas bore down on the Liverpool goal in the last minute just edges it for me. but it's bloody close! To go to Anfield and win 2-0 in those days took some doing, let alone with the 1st. Div'n title hanging on it.
  • Options
    Especially as Liverpool players were strolling around and passing back to Grobelaar towards the end, back in the days when goalies could pick the ball up.
  • Options
    yesterday beats 1989 for me - 1989's game only involved 2 teams unlike yesterday when both Man U and QPR (and to a lesser degree Bolton) were sweating on the result. Yesterday game also contain a couple of "swings" - during the 90 + mins Man City had the title, lost it & regained it again in the very last minute. In 1989 Aresenal only won it in the last minute - they were never ahead, losing, and then winners again like man City ........... yesterday contained more emotion and therefore, for me, the better game.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    This for me personally ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCZGUb9rhU
  • Options

Good shout!
  • Options
    Perhaps '89 made more of an impression because live league games were pretty rare in those days and there was only MOTD and The Big Match at weekends. Even then ITV only used 2 or 3 cameras, today's technology would soon have sorted out whether Alan Smith touched that indirect free kick or not.
  • Options

Good shout!
    except it was not to win the title....

• Options

Good shout!

Proper football:

Goal about 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KejwqhLDeOs&feature=related
  • Options
    It has been a two horse race for many, many months.

I think there were a few more close finishes featuring 3 or 4 teams in the 70s. Derby in 72 winning it on the beach, Arsenal beating Spurs at the Lane to take the first half of the double, Leeds blowing it a few times.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Indeed, Henry. In 1976 QPR finished their season 1 point ahead of L'pool at the top of the table. Liverpool's last game was away to Wolves who had to win to avoid relegation. On a wet Wednesday night Wolves went ahead but eventually lot 1-3 and Liverpool won the 1st, Div'n by one point. Of that night I particularly remember crowds of ticketless L'pool supporters crowding the turnstiles and hands running through my coat pockets as my Wolves chum and I made our way through the throng. An unhappy night for my mate and a long drive back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good shout!
    Yeah, I know...
  • Options
    yesterday beats 1989 for me - 1989's game only involved 2 teams unlike yesterday when both Man U and QPR (and to a lesser degree Bolton) were sweating on the result. Yesterday game also contain a couple of "swings" - during the 90 + mins Man City had the title, lost it & regained it again in the very last minute. In 1989 Aresenal only won it in the last minute - they were never ahead, losing, and then winners again like man City ........... yesterday contained more emotion and therefore, for me, the better game.
    I completely agree with you, yesterday was good not just because of the last 2 minutes, but because of how the previous 90 had gone as well.
  • Options
    I was speaking to an Arsenal fan today who reckoned that yesterday was the more exciting. I do like it on MOTD when they have that switching between games. It's usually to find out who gets relegated, so its a big change to get the Champions like that. It would be yesterday for me, but for one thing: Back in April a team became Champions, they'd led the division all year and were on a long away trip to a place they've been promoted twice before. They beat their opponents and then had an agonising three minute wait to find out what their opponents had done. But it all worked out well, their Massive opponents had slipped up to a minor Essex side. That was far more exciting!
  • Options
    Suprised nobody has mentioned the year that Blackburn won it. Blackburn needed a result at Liverpool which they failed including a last minute Redknapp free kick. At the same time Manure failed to win at the Hamsters with andy cole missing a sitter in the last minute.

The 1972 title had 3 teams being able to win on the last game with Derby winning it as Leeds and Liverpool both failed to win.
  • Options
    Yesterday was amazing. I spent all this morning just thinking about it - for some reason I just got a real buzz from it. I can't imagine how Man City fans must be feeling.

Nevertheless, the 1989 game was a step better. I remember the build up to that game more than the aftermath. It was played on a Friday night if I remember rightly and at school there was just this feeling of anticipation. I was 16 and my whole life had been spent with Liverpool the kings of English football. For Arsenal to go there and steal the title on their own patch with a goal in the last minute to pull off this seemingly impossible quest to win by two clear goals........well, I'm sorry but that was.....well, a book and a film got made about it, that says it all.

• Options

Good shout!

My thread, my rules. It's on the list!
  • Options
    Ha ha.

OK then ' That night in Barcelona' (copyright Clive Tyldesley).
  • Options
    I can only think of two off of the top of my head, '89 and yesterday, of which I would rate '89 higher as Liverpool lost the title on their home ground/fortress on goals scored.

Which of the two was the better finish and can you think of one that was even more dramatic?
    Liverpool-Arsenal was the last game of the season between the only remaining contenders, and for Arsenal to win 2-0 at Liverpool was unthinkable at the time. That it was done with virtually the last kick of the game just added to the drama.

City's last gasp win runs it close, but they were expected to beat QPR and exciting though it was I don't think it matches the achievement.

• Options
    I'll just go with 89 as well as it was all down to 1 game between the 2 contenders with no other distractions. Like most other people I couldn't see arsenal getting the 2 goal win they needed until "it's up for grabs now!"
  • Options
    Yesterday was amazing. I spent all this morning just thinking about it - for some reason I just got a real buzz from it. I can't imagine how Man City fans must be feeling.

Nevertheless, the 1989 game was a step better. I remember the build up to that game more than the aftermath. It was played on a Friday night if I remember rightly and at school there was just this feeling of anticipation. I was 16 and my whole life had been spent with Liverpool the kings of English football. For Arsenal to go there and steal the title on their own patch with a goal in the last minute to pull off this seemingly impossible quest to win by two clear goals........well, I'm sorry but that was.....well, a book and a film got made about it, that says it all.

I think this is maybe the difference between the older and younger generations on here. I'm 26, but I didn't start getting into football until I was 12. For the whole of my life where I've even been aware of football, Man Utd have been the top team who have won everything all the time. Part of the excitement on Sunday, for me anyway, was seeing them getting taken down a peg.

Incidentally, Liverpool haven't been good at any point during my football-liking lifetime, so I find it hard to empathise with people's Arsenal stories.