Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snow White and the Hunstman short review

edited May 2012 in Not Sports Related
Saw this at the World Premiere last night. Quite a dark interpretation of the classic fairytale, but then again those children's tales of old were pretty dark before Disney had produced animated movies of them with as much sickly sweet syrup interlaced with the core narrative, which has for the most part been good versus twisted evil.

Without giving any of the story away, it keeps you glued for the most part and has a fair amount of heart in it. It is a tad too long and a could have done with a few more snips around the good band's journey to the wicked Queen's castle.

Charlize Theron is expectantly excellent in her intensely evil, but equally beautiful wicked Queen role, whilst the dwarves of Hoskins, Winston and McShane bring some much needed lighter moments.

A cross between Alice and Wonderland and Lord of the Rings in the main and worth a watch if you like fantasy, CGI and lots of battles.

4/5

Comments

• Options
    Saw a trailer for it last night. Agree that if you actually read the originals of many fairy tales they really aren't very plesant. The Brothers Grimm were spectacularly grim in their day!
  • Options
    Charlize .. gorgeous and a superb actress .. I'm glad you enjoyed the show
  • Options
    "Grimm" on Monday night on channel 109 Watch is a terrific series based on Fairy-tales.
  • Options
    Saw this trailer briefly the other day. Can I take it it's not suitable for kids?
  • Options
    "Grimm" on Monday night on channel 109 Watch is a terrific series based on Fairy-tales.
    I thought that was rubbish! Once upon a time on Channel 5 was much better!
  • Options
    looking forward to this ... looks good
  • Options
    Depends how old the kids are Uboat and what they are used to watching? My in laws have allowed my 7 yr old nephew to watch all of the Harry Potter series, whereas my kids have paused at film 3, as they are 7 and 5 and more sensitive to 'scary' stuff compared to my nephew.

It is darker/ more violent than the Avengers and probably more akin to Lord of the Rings (parts 2 and 3). Very few really bloody scenes, but the odd empalement and a dark Queen with serious anger management issues would likely have a more senstive 5-10 year old losing some sleep. It's 12A and I would say that is about right. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Cheers Pavo. They're 9 and 12, so we might go along.
  • Options
    Shouldn't this film be called Snow White and the Huntsman (and) 7 short reviews ?
  • Options
    Might well check this out - thanks for the review.