Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - "One of the most Inspirational figures in the country"

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
Sorry if it's a repost, I've only just noticed this on the OS.
He's already been chosen as League One's manager of the year after leading Charlton to the title, and now Addicks chief Chris Powell has been named as one of the most inspirational figures in the country.

A new survey compiled by the Independent on Sunday has selected Powell as one of the top 10 'celebrities who inspire' on its annual Happy List.

The Charlton manager has been chosen alongside the likes of Sir David Attenborough, Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington, England cricketer Monty Panesar, artist David Hockney and actors Timothy Spall and Victoria Wood.
Linkie

I must say, thats a pretty damn impressive accolade - and I think he deserves it. However, it's interesting to see that we don't seem to be the only love struck ones at the moment - I've heard good things about him from other managers, from the media, other fans... I think we've got a good 'un! ;)

Comments

• Options
    And he is all ours!!
  • Options
    Wow, great award.
  • Options
    This is impressive.
  • Options
    Impressive indeed.

Victoria Wood though?
  • Options
    Now please don't shoot me, but...
    I don't entirely understand why this makes him one of the 10 most inspirational people in the country.
    He has won a League 1 title to put things into perspective.
    Is it purely because he's black, and therefore supposed to be seen as some sort of role model? (ie why hasn't Nigel Adkins or Paul Lambert been recognized)

Cant put my finger on it, but its more good news regardless.
  • Options
    I would imagine it is because he is a positive black role model but also because he is a genuinly great guy and most likley inspirational in terms of the way he acts and conducts himself, through chairty work to general positivity.
  • Options
    I think Athletico has probably hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    What a bizarre collection of names. Timothy Spall?

SCP always has had a good reputation, there was much happiness when he was called up for England, and he came over then very well.
  • Options
    I don't entirely understand why this makes him one of the 10 most inspirational people in the country.
    Is it purely because he's black, and therefore supposed to be seen as some sort of role model? (ie why hasn't Nigel Adkins or Paul Lambert been recognized)

No, I wont shoot ;) I understand completely - it took me back a fair bit when I read it.

I think he is pretty inspirational though, he had a successful playing career in a field where arrogance and egotism is rife (football obviously) and has gone on to manage in this field. He's managed to take a difficult job (a team on a downward spiral) and persevere through some difficult times - and even abuse. (Think DnR last year)

Despite this, SCP showed some great spirit and rebuilt a team - went against all the traditional managerial ideas of "giving the team a time to gel" and completely turned his fortunates around. He did this whilst also being recognised as "a nice guy", shaking the hands of opposition players after games and generally holding himself in a really likable way.

Obviously, yeah - he's black; and unfortunately he was being used as an "anti-racism poster boy" at the begining of the season - and that's only unfortunate as it took away from what a brilliant job he was doing.

Then again, I'm gonna say that - I'm a Charlton lad. ;)
  • Options
    Chris Powell on FM. Determination 20 Professionalism 20. Says it all...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just love him even more.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Think you are reading too much into it. It's not a scientific study just a bit of fun journalism most likely written by a Charlton fan or someone with another connection to Powell.

He is an upbeat person, he is very well respected and liked and I think a lot of people in football are pleased he is doing well. That's because he is the person he is, little or nothing to do with his ethnicity.

• Options
    I like this honour, and I can personally say that I think he's inspirational. That said, I expect it's just the musings of one journalist, or at best something their editorial board chatted about in the pub one lunchtime. I bet if you asked the general public you'd end up with a list that included Lady Gaga, Wayne Rooney, and Alan Bloody Sugar.
  • Options
    Lord Alan Bloody Sugar, if you don't mind. :-)
  • Options
    Just surprised hes even been acknowledged really
    tis charlton n all
  • Options

He is an upbeat person, he is very well respected and liked and I think a lot of people in football are pleased he is doing well.
    Well put, Henry. I'd just like to add that people respond positively to him and that he's hugely influential in so many ways....... and the way he does it is first considering other people's needs and the impact on them of his own wishes.

More than anything, he is a superb role model.

• Options
    Is he black then ?

I hadn't noticed.

• Options

And Timothy Spall is in because he is a good role model for fat blokes? ;0)

• Options
    No, elocution students.

It has to be said that when Powell was appointed the general opinion was pretty sceptical as he was untried and you weren't having the best of times. When he was throwing the cheque book around that deepened a bit but more power to the bloke's elbow, he got his head down, had a plan and followed it and the results are there to see.
  • Options

Think you are reading too much into it. It's not a scientific study just a bit of fun journalism most likely written by a Charlton fan or someone with another connection to Powell.

He is an upbeat person, he is very well respected and liked and I think a lot of people in football are pleased he is doing well. That's because he is the person he is, little or nothing to do with his ethnicity.

Not so sure that SCP being black is not part of the thinking here and quite rightly so. The black community is crying out for successful and respected figures in every aspect of society because for whatever reason their is a lack. He's not just a successful football coach like Lambert, Adkins or dozens more like them SCP is all of that plus a lot more.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have heard that he used to put a lot back into the commuinty while playing. He was also PFA rep to look after other professionals etc. He's an all round good bloke.