Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roberto Martinez

Comments

• Options
    They sold Fellaini for £27m and will no doubt sell Baines (who they clearly haven't missed in the last few games) for probably another £12m-£15m.

Any shortfall next season will be met by Everton being in the Champions League ;-)

• Options
    Deulefou is going to be a world class player, but he has the likes of neymar, messi and Pedro in front of him at barca, and will be for years to come. Can only see him doing a fabregas/pique/alba and moving away for a while and then Barcelona realising what they've missed.

Martinez is next in line for one of the top top jobs in the premier league now surely.
  • Options

Think he'll turn Everton into a great club.

Seems that Moyes' job there was very overrated.

He is very good, but Evertons growth potential is limited by money - they ain't got none!
    Well, certainly bugger all compared to the big boys.
    The irony is that when John Moores, the owner of Littlewoods pools and stores, was 'chairman', Everton were known as the millionaire club. Rather like the Glikstens, though on a much bigger scale, when daddy died, no family member was prepared to finance the club. Indeed, rumour was that one of his sons had such a beef against his father that he invested in and heavily backed Liverpool FC. On the blue side of Merseyside that is a sin worse than drowning your children at birth .. well almost.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Lets see how Everton do when Lukalu, Barry and Deulofeu go back to Chelsea, Man City and Barcelona respectively. Will Man Utd come back in for Baines?

Not knocking Martinez for a moment but without them three/four, Everton will be a totally different proposition.

Martinez has done a great job so far though.

That's a bit like saying "how will Spurs do without that £100m they spent during the summer?".
    Barry, Lukaku & Deulofeu aren't worth £100m (some might argue that the players Spurs signed aren't either!). Or, put another way, how would Martinez do with that £100m worth of talent plus the rest of Spurs magnificent squad.

Everton are above Spurs and have only lost one game this season - away to Man City and everyone loses there. Their next run of games are:

Everton v Fulham
    Swansea v Everton
    Everton v Sunderland
    Everton v Southampton
    Stoke v Everton
    Everton v Norwich
    West Brom v Everton

Southampton in 8th are the top placed of those clubs and that set of fixtures is rather indicative that, coming to the half way stage, Everton have already played all the "top" sides.
    Er not quite what I was getting at.

When them players go back to their parent clubs, how are they going to replace them with no money? Its common knowledge Everton are millions in debt and Bill Kenwright hasnt got any cash to throw around. He's been trying to sell the club for the last 4-5 years but they cant find a buyer. If there's one PL club that needs a cash injection its Everton.

I wasnt having a go at Martinez or Everton, it was a valid observation. I certainly wasnt writing that from a Tottenham perspective. I'd happily see us miss out on a CL place if it meant Everton got it ahead of the likes of one of the big clubs. It needs more teams like Everton and Spurs having a go.
    The thing is Everton have a lot more money than Moyes and Kenwright liked to let on. Their wage budget under Moyes was consistently the 6th highest in the league and they signed Fellaini £17 million which is no small fee. It's also worth noting that the amount of money Everton have will increase the higher they finish. If the three loanees get them into the Champions League spots (unlikely I know) then the prize and TV money may be enough to replace them with permanent signings, as well as the fact they could now offer players European football
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I just read this interview www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2132819/Matt-Lawton-Interview-Roberto-Martinez--man-shook-season.html It's one year old so sorry if it's been posted elsewhere on CL before.Despite the fact that he left Wigan after they were relegated,he came across as a very intelligent man in this interview and seemed to have a great affection for the club.I've watched a few Everton's games this season and I must say I've been very impressed by their performances.They look so much better under Martinez.
  • Options

as I have said here before .. Moyes and Martinez to do a job swap at Christmas ? ... Man U got the wrong man it seems

No chance at all.
  • Options
    The website sportingintelligence publishes a Global Sports Salaries Survey. Based on that, Kevin Pullein of the Racing Post has produced a table in which he calculates how many points a Club should have received.

Everton come top as they should have got 48 points and actually got 72 so were +24. Second were Palace (+16) followed by Southampton (+15) and Liverpool (+13).

Needless to say Manchester United came bottom with -15.

Pullein argues that this is a sound basis for estimating how successful a Manager is. Interestingly though, he also points out that Everton have surpassed expectation in nine of the last ten seasons and equalled it in one. So, perhaps, we shouldn't underestimate the work from Moyes.

Of all Managers, I would still consider Martinez the best fit for us. Sadly, that ship sailed a few years ago.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Lets see how Everton do when Lukalu, Barry and Deulofeu go back to Chelsea, Man City and Barcelona respectively. Will Man Utd come back in for Baines?

Not knocking Martinez for a moment but without them three/four, Everton will be a totally different proposition.

That's a bit like saying "how will Spurs do without that £100m they spent during the summer?".
    Barry, Lukaku & Deulofeu aren't worth £100m (some might argue that the players Spurs signed aren't either!). Or, put another way, how would Martinez do with that £100m worth of talent plus the rest of Spurs magnificent squad.

Everton are above Spurs and have only lost one game this season - away to Man City and everyone loses there. Their next run of games are:

Everton v Fulham
    Swansea v Everton
    Everton v Sunderland
    Everton v Southampton
    Stoke v Everton
    Everton v Norwich
    West Brom v Everton

Southampton in 8th are the top placed of those clubs and that set of fixtures is rather indicative that, coming to the half way stage, Everton have already played all the "top" sides.

When them players go back to their parent clubs, how are they going to replace them with no money? Its common knowledge Everton are millions in debt and Bill Kenwright hasnt got any cash to throw around. He's been trying to sell the club for the last 4-5 years but they cant find a buyer. If there's one PL club that needs a cash injection its Everton.

I wasnt having a go at Martinez or Everton, it was a valid observation. I certainly wasnt writing that from a Tottenham perspective. I'd happily see us miss out on a CL place if it meant Everton got it ahead of the likes of one of the big clubs. It needs more teams like Everton and Spurs having a go.
    £28m for Lukaku is serious cash.

• Options
    Just reading back up this thread. The suggestion that David Moyes' work there was "overrated" is ridiculous. He did an incredible job, and Martinez is continuing that.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Everton v Fulham
    Swansea v Everton
    Everton v Sunderland
    Everton v Southampton
    Stoke v Everton
    Everton v Norwich
    West Brom v Everton

£28m for Lukaku is serious cash.

Have just seen it on SSN. I'm scratching my head. Bill Kenright even came out and said he was trying to sell the club. Fair play to them, thats a cracking signing but really wonder how they can afford that given their turnover and FFP rules etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Combination of Fellaini + Sky money.
  • Options
    And they have the insurance if things do go belly up of getting top dollar for the likes of, now that they are on long term contracts, Barclay and Coleman.
  • Options
    I have to say though, its great for the PL they look like they're really giving it a go. The more teams competing at the top surely has to be good for the league.

Man City will be strong, Ars*nal will be stronger for the signings they've made, Man Utd I expect to be more competitive under Van Gaal, Liverpool will be in the thick of it even without Suarez, Chelsea have made some huge signings too. Of course it goes without saying I hope Spurs will be somewhere around the top 6/7 too.

Its going to be even harder this year for the likes of Everton & Spurs to be pushing for 4th place from now on. Best chance is probably as winners of the Europa League tbh.
  • Options
    There's a thing on twitter about the top scorers in league games at the age of 21

Lukaku has more goals at this age than Messi, Aguero, neymar, RVP, Ibrahimovich, Rooney, Balotelli, Suarez.

I think that fee is extremely good value for him given some fees these days

• Options
    So he is now manager of Belgium, have not lost since his opening game in charge against Spain, have sailed through World Cup qualification and scored 41 goals in his dozen games in charge.

Meanwhile, since his departure, Everton have sold Lukaku and Stones for a combined profit of almost £100m.

But they have also spent almost £200m on players in the last two seasons. And they currently sit in 16th place and scored just 4 goals in their 7 League games.

They won't go down but they don't appear to be progressing. And Koeman looks like following Martinez out of the door unless he changes things pretty quickly.
  • Options

So he is now manager of Belgium, have not lost since his opening game in charge against Spain, have sailed through World Cup qualification and scored 41 goals in his dozen games in charge.

Meanwhile, since his departure, Everton have sold Lukaku and Stones for a combined profit of almost £100m.

But they have also spent almost £200m on players in the last two seasons. And they currently sit in 16th place and scored just 4 goals in their 7 League games.

They won't go down but they don't appear to be progressing. And Koeman looks like following Martinez out of the door unless he changes things pretty quickly.

Roy Hodgson, Sven and Capello all sailed through various qualifications for major tournaments. Martinez is, as he has proved time and again, a crap club manager.
  • Options
    A rich man's Karl Robinson.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

A rich man's Karl Robinson.

Except Martinez speaks three languages, has a bachelor's degree in physiotherapy and also a postgraduate diploma in business management whilst Robinson speaks .........
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Roy Hodgson, Sven and Capello all sailed through various qualifications for major tournaments. Martinez is, as he has proved time and again, a crap club manager.
    A 'crap' club manager? Don't be stupid. Not the best, but harsh to call him crap.

How have Wigan and Everton done since he left them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought while he was still at Everton that he'd make a good international manager
  • Options
    that is a very very impressive record
  • Options
    Good record, but not the toughest set of fixtures that's for sure
  • Options

Good record, but not the toughest set of fixtures that's for sure

Point taken but Germany have lost four matches in their last six to Brazil plus the likes of Mexico, Austria and South Korea . Italy didn't even make the WC Finals. Argentina lost to Nigeria (4-2), Spain (6-1), Croatia (3-0) and France (4-3) in their last eight games. And Belgium did beat England - with not one outfield player that started tonight's game before someone says that it was England's reserves!
  • Options

Martinez first match in charge of Belgium was a friendly which they lost 2-0 to Spain. Since that game Belgium's record is:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

No country in the world can match that run. Yes they do have some great players. But so do a lot of other countries who are already going home.

And they proved tonight that, under Martinez, they can play one touch football or direct if needs be. Look at how Chadli, who couldn't get in the WBA side last season and Fellini, who rarely got a kick for Man Utd, performed when they came on.
    But then both Fellini and Lukaku were brilliant under Martinez at Everton.

In the time since Martinez got Everton have spent £217m on players and look where that has taken them - about the same place as Martinez left them but he never had the benefit of those funds to improve the side.

You used to say the same about Gerard Houllier.