Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can you actually see the player's faces from the North Upper?

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
I'm not going to lie, I don't actually know what some of our players look like...

Comments

• Options
    I'm up there and no, I can't say that I can see their faces clearly (also, I really should take my specs one day).

However, I don't find it a problem as you get to know a player by his body shape, movement and posture. Also helps to note the colour of players boots, as they all seem to wear different ones these days, which helped a few times when not sure if it was Wiggins or Stephens. Their position on the pitch can also help.

And if in doubt, look at the number on their back...............................;-)
  • Options
    danny hollands

• Options
    Chris Solly.

• Options
    I didn't even realize Ben Hamer wore a hat.
  • Options
    must admit when I went to the sponsors do there were a couple I weren't 100% sure on
  • Options
    You can't see them from the bar under the stand, that's for sure

• Options
    must admit when I went to the sponsors do there were a couple I weren't 100% sure on

That's explains why you asked me to sign a shirt : - )
  • Options
    Me too! Mainly the younger ones tho.

The beginning part of the season was hard work learning names and numbers.

• Options
    I usually get to know the players by the way that they run. All players run and move differently if you watch them enough. Anybody else find this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solly has a very distinctive run, the way he carries his hands.
  • Options
    Can you actually see the player's faces from the North Upper?

I think most of the fans in the North have had so much booze they can't see the pitch , let alone the players faces! :-0
  • Options
    I usually get to know the players by the way that they run. All players run and move differently if you watch them enough. Anybody else find this?
    I found Andy Reid's waddle very distinctive
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm always surprised when people say they've seen so-and-so player in Adsas/McDonalds/Spearmint Rhino as I struggle to recognise OUR team when they're wearing civvies
  • Options
    Keith Jones had the most distinctive run of any footballer I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Also, I've sat in the North Upper several times, and I don't recall having many problems telling people apart.

A couple of seasons ago it was quite difficult with Youga, Racon, Semedo, Sam and McLeod all on the pitch at the same time, especially as at the time I hadn't been for a year or two.
  • Options
    I only knew a couple of the players at the sponsers do. I asked Hamer for his autograph three times
  • Options
    ...Also helps to note the colour of players boots, as they all seem to wear different ones these days, which helped a few times when not sure if it was Wiggins or Stephens....
    Yes, the old orange/blue difference has helped me out more than once.
  • Options
    Also, I've sat in the North Upper several times, and I don't recall having many problems telling people apart.

A couple of seasons ago it was quite difficult with Youga, Racon, Semedo, Sam and McLeod all on the pitch at the same time, especially as at the time I hadn't been for a year or two.
    a bit racist but never mind...

• Options

Tosh; a perfect example of PC gone mad - and this is from a 20 year old guy from the clinically politically correct generation.

I have trouble between Solly and Wagstaff at times (from North Upper) if I don't get a good eyeball on the shirt number - that's not racist; so why would it be racist to say the same about black players? From the distance of the NU, if the field of play is towards the Jimmy Seed stand then most players can be difficult to differentiate between at times. Similarly, I identify Haynes by his bright boots - and even Danny Green with his distinctive hair could be picked out by the colour of his boots.

If he had said "All of those look the bloody same!" however - that would be a bit different!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tosh; a perfect example of PC gone mad - and this is from a 20 year old guy from the clinically politically correct generation.

I have trouble between Solly and Wagstaff at times (from North Upper) if I don't get a good eyeball on the shirt number - that's not racist; so why would it be racist to say the same about black players? From the distance of the NU, if the field of play is towards the Jimmy Seed stand then most players can be difficult to differentiate between at times. Similarly, I identify Haynes by his bright boots - and even Danny Green with his distinctive hair could be picked out by the colour of his boots.

If he had said "All of those look the bloody same!" however - that would be a bit different!
    All of these brothers play in completely different positions! Also have different playing styles and faces. You obviously ain't a racist but probably haven't met too many brothers in the real world. I bet you got me and Mortimer mixed up all time! (Easily done, we were both physically fragile ball wizards)
  • Options
    I can tell if the refs a banker ;)
  • Options
    Here, take this along next match and you'll have no problems:

• Options

All of these brothers play in completely different positions! Also have different playing styles and faces. You obviously ain't a racist but probably haven't met too many brothers in the real world. I bet you got me and Mortimer mixed up all time! (Easily done, we were both physically fragile ball wizards)
    Yeah, I generally ID them by position - but you can never be too careful; especially with set pieces.

As for not meeting too many brothers; I'll have you know that growing up I was surrounded by so many brothers that I nearly changed my name to "Walton".. ;)
  • Options
    Stig, you forgot the assistant manager

and the First team coach

• Options

Surely calling them 'brothers' is more racist than anything I said? Have a think about that.
    Also, yes they played in different positions, but I did name 3 midfield players. And saying they have different faces is nonsense, read the title of this thread!!!
    Finally, it's really not racist in the least - 5 men with similar skin tone, hair colour and hair length are mildly difficult to distinguish from a long distance. If you're offended by that, then you're trying too hard to be offended.
    If you're still unsure, I can tell you that last year I taught a class of children where there were 7 white boys with blonde hair - on the first day, I found it difficult to remember who was who. Is that OK?
  • Options
    I sometimes struggle to differentiate between Taylor & Morrison, but I'm racist so it's understandable :-)
  • Options
    Sat in North Upper for the first time against Hartlepool and IMO they are the best seats in the house. As someone else mentioned... you very rarely look at a players face during play, body movement is generally enough to pick up on.
  • Options
    Which one was Keith and which one was Steve?

I could probably tell them apart now, as Steve is the one with the money in his back pocket but then I struggled
  • Options
    I struggle between Jackson, Hollands and Wiggins especially if they overlap positions. They have the same haircut. Hollands in particular i have trouble with I sometimes confuse him with Kermit.