Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton ... a London team

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Doi you consider Charlton a kentish team or a London team?

When was the last time you heard "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner" sang?

Should we promote around Greenwich/ Lewisham/ Hither Green/ Lee ....???

Comments

• Options
    A lot of us are born and bred SE London but house prices have forced us out into Kent.

Kent has more ST holders than anywhere else I believe I've read somewhere.
  • Options
    Of course we should be promoted more in these areas. I believe we have handed the area on a plate to Millwall to easily. Last night proved there are teenage kids willing to come to Charlton. Our problem comes from the fact that these lads want to congregate with the noisy section of the crowd, and its not possible with the current set up due to the popularity of the centre blocks of the upper north. They have no interest in being scattered around the quiet areas of the ground in twos and threes.

As for the London club thing, maybe its because its what i know, but i have always seen the true heartland of the club support as the Borough of Bexley.
  • Options
    Oh North West Kent
    Is wonderful
    Oh North West Kent is wonderful .....
  • Options
    Is it wonderful ????

Blimey ...
  • Options
    Charlton are in se7 and are a London club simple as.
  • Options
    sarf landon la la la
  • Options
    We are a London team...
  • Options
    We must be London else how could we have our East London Derby with West Ham...(snigger snigger!)
  • Options
    We are a London club....however whenever I like to wind up my mate who is a Jills fan I make sure he knows we are 'the best team in Kent' !! (gets him every time).
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Our problem comes from the fact that these lads want to congregate with the noisy section of the crowd, and its not possible with the current set up due to the popularity of the centre blocks of the upper north.

Well, I have a season ticket in the J Block third row from above, but during the Pompey match there were 4 seats empty both left and right from me (and I didn't have a bad smell!). I'm not saying I would like having those kids around me, but it's not all season ticket holders up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]We must be London else how could we have our East London Derby with West Ham...(snigger snigger!)

Heh - reminds me of the Sky Sports build-up to our 4-4 with West Ham (over lots of shots of the Barking Road, the tunnel, the Dome, signs to the Woolwich Ferry and the Woolwich Road). "Forget about the Fowlers and Beales... this is the Powells and the Di Canios we're seeing tonight!"

[cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]As for the London club thing, maybe its because its what i know, but i have always seen the true heartland of the club support as the Borough of Bexley.

True, but Bexley's a London borough too. And if you say it isn't we'll triple your bus fares and make sure your fire brigade's staffed by part-timers who have to squeeze themselves out of the pub each time someone dials 999 :-)

I expect the club would say (with some justification) that promoting the team around Lewisham would run into some problems because of the way football in the community schemes are divided up by borough - a perfect example comes each summer when both us and Millwall hold kids' events on Blackheath, us on the Greenwich side, them on the Lewisham side...

But yeah, it does frustrate me. Growing up close to it when it was derelict, I still have to pinch myself when I go to The Valley, yet the club seems all too keen to deny its roots in favour of driving Minis down the steps of Maidstone (?) town hall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]We must be London else how could we have our East London Derby with West Ham...(snigger snigger!)

At least the one good thing about relegation is we won't have to put up with Lineker cocking this up every year no more....
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And the award for dredging up a post form the bowels of time goes to ..............
    ;o)
  • Options
    London end Of
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The 1881 census includes Charlton as part of Kent:-)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The 1881 census includes Charlton as part of Kent:-)

Len, don't quite know how to break this to you mate, but it ain't 1881 anymore!
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    True,

but there is a Kentish tradition attached to Charlton geographically and footballwise and that's my point.
  • Options
    And the latest Target 40k initiative is targeting schools in.....

Wait for it......

..........Greenwich, Bexley and Bromley.

In part this is an acknowledgement that these are our core areas of support and that the perception has often been, wrongly IMHO, that all the T40K work goes on in Kent.

NB that is Kent 2007 not Kent 1881 : - )
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite] True,

but there is a Kentish tradition attached to Charlton, both geographically and footballwise, and that's my point

No, you're right - was just jesting. It doesn't really matter anyway though does it, SE London/NW Kent is all the same really. I mean, I live in the Borough of Bexley but have a Greenwich postcode - how does that work?
  • Options
    Same with me, the road opposite me has a SE2 postcode, i have DA7. crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Whichever way you look at the map Charlton is still on the East Side of London, so when we play WHU it IS an East London Derby. People pay too much attention to postcodes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Whichever way you look at the map charlton is still on the East Side of London, so when we play WHU it IS an East London Derby. People pay too much attention to postcodes.

Especially Postmen. They should get a life.
  • Options
    We're a London club, end of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We're a London club, end of.

But we like Kent as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

But we like Kent as well.

Apart from Bromley FC......
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Did you hear they drew 2-2 in their last friendly?
  • Options
    We are part of London but traditionally part of Kent, in the same way Lords is London but Middlesex which no longer exists play there and in Uxbridge which is also in London. Surrey play at the Oval, Essesx play at Ilford, Kent used to play at Blackheath and now play at Beckenham.