Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shafted by the man - On this occasion Microsoft

Following on from tha phones 4 u thread it amazes me how often people seem to get shafted by these big brand companies and it makes you wonder how they ended up getting so big if their customer service is so shocking.

My situation is slightly different in that I'm not acting as a consumer. As a lot of you know I do photography. I have a lot of my photos represented by Getty Images who are responsible for licensing my images to their clients big and small.

For those who dont have an understanding of this. There are two methods for licensing an image.

Royalty Free means the client pays by the size they need and they can pretty much use it in whatever format they want.

More valuable images are called Rights Managed and the client has to specify not only what size they want, but the duration of use, the territory of use and various other things.

Well my best selling image over time hasnt sold since the tail end of 2010 after Microsoft purchased it. I always try to research where my images have been used which is often difficult when they are bought by ad agencies etc. So yesterday I did an image search of my photo called "Stormy Rye"

It turns out it's been used on shed loads of places and is being offered as a free downloadable wallpaper. Now this shouldnt be possible as the image cannot be licenced to be given away for free so I couldnt work out how it had happened.

Then I realised that every version of the image had "Bing" in the corner.

It turns out Bing have made it a Windows 7 wallpaper (which obviously is pretty cool and I'm proud of that) and have offered it on their website for free downloads. (not cool at all)
Now I know this is not allowed within the terms of licence so they must have screwed up. But effectively they have made my most valuable image worthless as it's everywhere and any level of exclusivity has been destroyed.

Getty's legal team are "looking into it" but this is their biggest client and I just absolutely know I'm going to get mugged off with some token attempt of a payoff and told that if it's not good enough I'm welcome to pursue the legal angle myself and let's be honest me against Microsoft? I should imagine whatever lawyers they have will be better than I could possibly get on a pay if you win deal, because I certainly cant afford to pay anyone up front!

Shafted!

I cant post the image here because ironically that would probably be against the terms of my contract but you can see it on my website

talkinginwhispers.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Home-Counties/G00006RiwLD6771s/I0000xjiOlxtvaQI

Comments

• Options
    Wow, that's an amazing photo. Not fiddled with at all?
  • Options
    Yes a truly amazing picture. Hope you get something near what you think it's worth.
  • Options
    Did you get my permission to use the roof of my house in that picture?

:-)
  • Options
    i wonder if microsoft or getty images would be so lenient if the shoe was on the other foot?
  • Options
    Legaladdick is your man ?
  • Options
    Sadly not SHG! Not my area. I sympathise with Blackheath but unless he can get someone interested on a pro bono basis I suspect that the old maxim 'might is right' is going to apply - unfortunately. A wonderful picture of one of my favourite towns.
  • Options
    That is a fantastic picture.
  • Options
    There are some wonderful pictures there Heathie, my wife came in as i was looking through them and has asked for the link to the website. She is looking for a photographer and might be in touch if you are interested in that kind of work (she works with historic buildings - but likes the full sky included for dramatic affect).

Standard caveat that it might not lead to anything ......
  • Options
    Must...Resist....temptation.to...post..picture.
  • Options
    You could have taken it on a nice sunny day....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't help but feel that if some how ollywozere appeared in the picture it would just enhance it so much
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I still havent had a response but I'll let everyone know once I do get one.

@ cordoban addick thanks for that. Looking for work at the moment so any potential leads at the moment are appreciated.

My guess is they'll charge Microsoft some token licence fee for it. Say $300 of which I'll end up with less than $100. But of course I might end up with nothing which is probably more likely.
  • Options
    Microsoft (or at least bill gates) owns Getty images.

Hope you get what you deserve mate.
  • Options
    Can't find the source now. Maybe I'm incorrect.
  • Options
    My mistake, he's involved in Corbis.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    About a month ago the Times Educational Suplement printed a potograph taken by my wife without credit or payment, it appears that they lifted the photograph from a school website.

She won't even contemplate going to all the hassle to try to get her rightful payment.
  • Options
    Do you know any journalists who might be interested in covering the story? I always find that threat works quite well, the bigger the company the better.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thats awful blackheathaddick; I don't suppose there's any major alternative to getty is there? (For avoiding any future issues)

They wouldn't copy and paste a newspaper without attributing it to the source, nor would they repackage someone else's software as their own - why should they be allowed to do this?

I suggest just getting the word out there, look for sympathetic journos and see if there is anyway of getting some negative PR for them. Let them know about it though. One of my many hats at the moment is doing web development for a start-up portraiture house (standard portfolio jazz, custom CMS etc), and combined with my (amateur) passion for photography, I can imagine just how much that must sting to see.
    About a month ago the Times Educational Suplement printed a potograph taken by my wife without credit or payment, it appears that they lifted the photograph from a school website.

She won't even contemplate going to all the hassle to try to get her rightful payment.
    I have a friend who took The Guardian, The Daily Mail and a couple of others to court over using images that they hadn't got permission for; it's general sloppiness that seems prevalent throughout the industry. There's standard invoice templates and documents to get a claim against them going; I know quite a few guys that have managed to get payments from papers for the exact same issue. The advantage is, often there is no real fight as they're banged to rights - I'd give it a go mate.

• Options
    What an extraordinary picture,Blackteeth. My grandfather was an FRPS and was very fond of 'a bastard sky'
  • Options
    Thanks all. My slight problem is even if I do get shafted as I suspect I will, Getty still represent 500+ of my images which I'm unlikely to be able to move elsewhere and quite frankly I need the money however small it is that I earn from those. If I burn my bridges I might end up even worse off.

I guess that's just another example of where they hold all the cards in this situation.

The next step is to see their response. I got another email overnight confirming that it's still being lookin into so at least I know I'm on their radar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine you have seached the web to look for info, but I have anyway.

What to do when your image is stolen online

No Win No Fee for photographers
  • Options
    Cheers D, the only issue with that is Getty have their own legal team to do this for me. The only way I can go this alone is if Getty tell me them wont pursue it and that I'm welcome to go for it myself. I think this is unlikely, hence I think I'll be offered some token payment.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to the world of 'image rights' blackheath.
    As an ex-employee of Getty, I am sure you know the score,and you are right to take the cover of them and try and get some sort of financial compensation, but as you have already stated the image has really lost it's value to you as far as it's future use.......
    In February I was trying to get a 'deal' with Getty for 10 images, because the so called 'publisher' wanted a 'royalty free' licence worldwide for a brochure. I explained to him that he did not need that type of licence as it was going to cost a bout £1,000 an image. I had one of those feelings that he also wanted to use it on the web, and every place possible, not only for his 'business' : franchising and being a start up company, I told him to get a photographer to take some photos, and get full rights..... failing that go to 'i' stock and get what you pay for. There are some very dubious sorts who have moved into the media world of late......
    IPR has always had it's issues. I have been the victim myself, it almost comes with the job. I must admit when individuals do it, or small companies I just try and get a credit. When I knew David Bailey had issues with vogue 30 years ago with his copyright from Vogue you could see where this was going to end up, and he just wanted to reprint them in a catalogue for the show at the V&A. And that lot are supposed to be a class act. 'Publishers'...... seem to have the moral compass of a sink estate drug dealer,not that of course that I am bitter.........
  • Options
    Ask them for $1 per licence of windows 7 they have shipped.
    Then invest in Charlton :)
  • Options
    Photographers get shafted in copyright all the time. That's why all photographers should be in the NUJ. Whilst photographers make up one of the smallest sectors of the union they make up most of the legal work. Now I'm sure you have a reason why you aren't in the union (I guess you're not by your legal costs point) and therefore face the prospect of paying your own legal fees to take on Microsoft but that is your decision., I'm just saying there is another way.
  • Options
    This may be slightly off topic, for which I apologise.

A few years ago I took a picture of an incident and sent it to the News Shopper, who used it on their front page. In the corner of the picture was a notice saying it was copyright Getty Images - how did that happen and how come I never saw a penny?!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I imagine part of their terms is that when you send in a photo they take ownership of it.
  • Options
    This may be slightly off topic, for which I apologise.

A few years ago I took a picture of an incident and sent it to the News Shopper, who used it on their front page. In the corner of the picture was a notice saying it was copyright Getty Images - how did that happen and how come I never saw a penny?!
    Now that's a whole new ball game. Welcome to the world of 'citizen journalism'. If you just send a photo or article to a newspaper without 'selling it in' to them or making it clear in advance that you are wiling to sell them the piece then they will assume it is all in the name of citizen jounralism and would never think of charging.

The picture desk you sent it to probably claimed credit for it and either sold it to Getty or the pitcure desk was outsourced to Getty hense the branding.

If you want paying you have to make that clear. Although newspapers steal other people's work so often that if you had sent them an invoice the next week stating Saga Lout Photography, cost of one image £150, they would probably have just paid it to you to save you making a fuss.

Yes I have successfuly done this a few times.

• Options
    Cheers DRF - I will remember that for next time (if there is one).
  • Options
    Photographers get shafted in copyright all the time. That's why all photographers should be in the NUJ. Whilst photographers make up one of the smallest sectors of the union they make up most of the legal work. Now I'm sure you have a reason why you aren't in the union (I guess you're not by your legal costs point) and therefore face the prospect of paying your own legal fees to take on Microsoft but that is your decision., I'm just saying there is another way.
    Good point DRF......
    I thought that Blackheath worked either for Getty or the PA, so he probably had his work protected under there copyright.
    There is also the issue that if you work for certain organisations that they have a claim on your work, because they demand that you sign an exclusive contract and any work done, even on your own camera, and in your own time, at your expense is also there copyright.
    There seems to be a world of difference in using a companies equipment, in there core time on company business, than the above You have to remember "There is a big difference in bending down and bending over".....as Frank Zappa once quipped