Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Lewis, money savings expert

NugNug
edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
Sold his website to moneysupermarket.com for £87 million, apparently going to give £10 million to charity. If true an amazing gesture.

Comments

• Options
    He does seem like a pretty decent chap. Fair play to him if it is true. I hope he enjoys his wealth.
  • Options
    Rumour on twitter (I know!!) is he wants to go into politics. He seems like a straight talking bloke, be a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    Sold his website to moneysupermarket.com for £87 million
    Via quidco?

• Options
    Good for him. He's saved people millions and millions over the 10 years or so the size has been around, and 10m to charity is a great thing.

This is from the site for those that are interested:

Q. £10 million is going to charity – which charities? As soon as the deal completes, I plan to donate £1 million straight to Citizens Advice, which desperately needs it for debt advice as, shamefully, its public funding has been cut (as you can't talk about these deals before they're announced, I've not been able to speak to Citizens Advice yet).

With the rest of the funds allocated to charity, there are so many good causes, so I want time to think about where the donations can do the most good, and not splurge them all at once. So I will put donations into a Charities Aid Foundation trust, which locks it away so it can only be used to give to official charities and be put to good use over the coming years.
  • Options
    He'll get tax relief on the charitable donations also - another money saving tip! :-)
  • Options
    Good for him. He's saved people millions and millions over the 10 years or so the size has been around, and 10m to charity is a great thing.

This is from the site for those that are interested:

Q. £10 million is going to charity – which charities? As soon as the deal completes, I plan to donate £1 million straight to Citizens Advice, which desperately needs it for debt advice as, shamefully, its public funding has been cut (as you can't talk about these deals before they're announced, I've not been able to speak to Citizens Advice yet).

With the rest of the funds allocated to charity, there are so many good causes, so I want time to think about where the donations can do the most good, and not splurge them all at once. So I will put donations into a Charities Aid Foundation trust, which locks it away so it can only be used to give to official charities and be put to good use over the coming years.
    He is a super-affiliate. Don't think that he isn't making money out of every purchase that he recommends.
  • Options
    Nice guy, good luck to him
  • Options
    He'll get tax relief on the charitable donations also - another money saving tip! :-)
    This, anybody gaining 87million would do the same
  • Options
    Yeah many congratulations to the guy. Started watching him on tv in the last 2 years. Great advice. I saw an interview with him and he struggled financially in his early years. Went to uni and to make ends meet he did comedy. this is a guys that deserves it and shame you dont have people like him teaching kids at school finance
  • Options
    Through MSE I have recouped a few squid in the past, so I'm well pleased for him. MAy take the info on there with a pinch of salt from now on though as it is now owned by Money Supermarket who, I think I'm right in saying, are a much more commercial concern?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top bloke. Love listening to him on Daybreak. He's saved me so cash over the years :-)
  • Options
    Through MSE I have recouped a few squid in the past, so I'm well pleased for him. MAy take the info on there with a pinch of salt from now on though as it is now owned by Money Supermarket who, I think I'm right in saying, are a much more commercial concern?
    He's retained editorial control free of commercial concerns according to the man himself.
  • Options
    Top bloke. Love listening to him on Daybreak. He's saved me so cash over the years :-)
    Wouldn't have thought you would need advise on saving cash...
  • Options
    A certain very well known poster on here is one of his staff

Reckons he's a very decent chap
  • Options
    He's retained editorial control free of commercial concerns according to the man himself.
    Nice one, even more credit to the fella.