Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jumbotron ..

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Do we have the smallest Big Screen in the world?

Discuss ....

Comments

• Options
    LOL
  • Options
    perhaps it could be a prize in the Valley Gold draw when its replaced.
  • Options
    I heard we are replacing it with a bigger one,was in the program yesterday or something.
  • Options
    Not much point unless they are going to show something on it.
  • Options
    Yep it's my Dad's project to sort out, won't be properly up & running for the Arsenal game though.
  • Options
    Meant to be coming in today. Twice as big and half the weight with much better definition etc etc.
  • Options
    according to the programme...80 Metres wide by 60 Metres high...surely it meant feet!!!!!!
  • Options
    No it is Metres, Charlton are gonna put it in front of the Jimmy Seed stand so away supporters cannot see & we get a completely different perspective of the match. The players can then check their hair at any time on the big screen so they'll look good on Match of the Day later that evening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] The players can then check their hair at any time on the big screen so they'll look good on Match of the Day later that evening.

Would it be worth it for about 30 seconds then???
  • Options
    Does anyone know why we don't show instant replays of the game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    probably with the old "jumbo"tron it wasn't worth it because no one could see it.

But seriously, do we really want to see highlights during the match??
  • Options
    Wasn't the match boring enough first time around? I think they prefer not to show replays because it may highlight controversial decisions.
  • Options
    Not sure if it is still in the rules, but i think they are prohibited from showing controversial incidents during the match.
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind seeing goals replayed there and then.
  • Options
    Why didn't they even switch it on last night, it can't be that expensive to run, surely.

Anyone have a clue why they bothered opening all the stands last night? West Upper and East could have been closed and we would have still all had room to swing a cat. Must have cost a lot in staffing, stewarding, etc.
  • Options
    i desperately hope they don't show instant highlights during the game, its a bigger killer of atmosphere than even seating. You see it at Spurs, chant just about to start up after a shot, then everyone goes open mouthed staring at the telly.

Not that they've had a lot of shots lately !

Keep the highlights to half time and full time.
  • Options
    Went to Germany in the summer, and a t full time they showed the higlights for about 40 minutes on the screens in the bars; with great sausages and beer and pretzels and a suprising amount of people stayed in the ground until 30 minutes or so after full time.

Is this something Charlton should consider?

Though they would need to provide REAL beer and fresh pretzel's to keep me there.

Seems a bit beyond them at the moment; and why can't we have a drink in sight of the pitch?
  • Options
    Good idea pickwick, that may be a way to avoid the kind of congestion we see now after a match. They'll need to do something in terms of the ground expansion and if it helps generate a bit of extra income with fans hanging around and spending money, then I'm sure they'll see it as a plus.
  • Options
    LOL, half the East Stand can't stay for the 90 minutes, let alone another 40 mins !
  • Options
    Hands are tied on instant replays as FA don't allow clubs to show "controversial" incidents such as fouls and sending offs. I agree with AFKA about it being a distraction as well but the club may use it. Not heard one way or another.

I'm sure the club would love people to hang around and spend more on beer but that has never been part of football culture (unless you were an away fan in the 80s when you were "invited" to stay in the ground for an hour and enjoy the atmosphere.

Again with drinking in view of the pitch that is a criminal offence and the police will arrest you. I raised this with them and although they are not too bothered about it they have to enforce the law or at least expect stewards to eject you for it. The police have no issues with bottled beer and we may yet get that if Greenwich council can change the club's saftey licence to allow it. (at the moment we're not even allowed to sell bottled soft drinks except on a "trial basis")
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got a diet coke on tuesday and the fella left the lid on , I ran away quick giggling like a girl at my achievement.
  • Options
    knowing that you now could, did you feel more inclined to launch the bottle 40yds towards the pitch ?

the decision to take tops off plastic bottles is ridiculous. Not only is it impractical and unhygenic, any idiot who was to use it as a missle would of smuggled something in anyway.

Its Charlton that miss out, i now smuggle a drink in that i would of bought on the concourse because of it.
  • Options
    a trained assasin would already have his stash of bottle tops ready for action.
  • Options
    One of the blokes I go with is a builder/decorator. One evening game last season he had to come straight from work and so still had his tool bag with him. He went up to the steward by the turnstile and asked if there was somewhere he could leave his bag, but was told it was fine and he walked straight in.

Makes me laugh to think that you not allowed to have a top on your coke bottle but it's ok to have a bag full of claw hammers and chisels!
  • Options
    Does seem strange that they'd let someone in with a Milwall bag....
  • Options
    Your story regards your builder friend reminds me of a flight I took just after Sept 11, at check-in I was given a long list of things that i would not be allowed to take on the plane in my carry on luggage, this included all the usual stuff, glass bottles, penknives, baseball bats etc. Having ascertained that I wasn't taking any of those things on board I went through the check-in process and duly boarded my flight and was then promptly served a meal with metal knife and fork, a drink in a glass and so on.