Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DHL advert

Would DHL tying themselves in with Manchester Utd make you less or more likely to use them? Or would it make no difference?

Comments

• Options
    Theyd be fools not too. Just announced a fanbase of 695million world wide. Can imagine a lot of them who use UPS and other rivals will make the switch to DHL to make them feel closer to the club they "support" thousands of miles away in a country most their fans have probably never been to.

I opened my first Building Society account as a kid with the Woolich purely because they sponsored us. Grown out of that sort of thing now but lots still do.
  • Options
    DHL

Don't hurry lads.
  • Options
    DHL

Don't hurry lads.
    Royal Snail or Parcelfarce are no better

• Options
    Many years ago my old boss was at a (very) high-level meeting in Japan. He was introduced to the CEO of Sharp Electronics who proudly said that his company sponsored Man Utd. His response was: "I know, but I support City and that's why I'll never ever buy one of your products" He then walked away, leaving one very bemused Japanese gentleman!
  • Options
    Theyd be fools not too. Just announced a fanbase of 695million world wide. Can imagine a lot of them who use UPS and other rivals will make the switch to DHL to make them feel closer to the club they "support" thousands of miles away in a country most their fans have probably never been to.

I opened my first Building Society account as a kid with the Woolich purely because they sponsored us. Grown out of that sort of thing now but lots still do.
    But, that potentially means squillions of other people who don't support them, some of whom, such as cafcfan's boss dislike them so much, it may have the opposite affect?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Doubt it works to the same degree Algarve....I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid Palace or Millwall's sponsors/ links ie i wouldnt have not flown Virgin or boycott the SLP but on the other hand if a company had a link with Charlton and i wasnt already a comitted customer of a rival product id probably go with the linked one.

I still think that on the balance of things if every leeds, liverpool and man city fan boycotted DHL on the basis that man utd are linked to them the numbers they would gain from being linked to them would more than make up for any lost scousers.

695 million fanbase....being ultra conservative say 10m use or will use parcel services once in their lives and being uber conservative say 1 million of these will ensure they use DHL as a result of the connection with their team i still think that would outweigh the number of potential lost customers from rival clubs.

If you had a product that would mean that you would be able to gain a significant market share of all the brown haired people in the world at the risk of alienating less common ginger folk it would be a no brainer. ;-)
  • Options
    But Utd are the gingers, not the ones with brown hair? Just under 7 billion people on the planet so they make up just 10%. I think they would have done their research, and you are right Rodders and they have decided its a winner, but if cafcfan's boss represented a company with a £1'000'000 contract, one salesman and one branch is sure going to be ABU fairly quickly.