Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Punk Britannia at The BBC

Just watched it on catch up. Footage of :-
Sex Pistols, Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks, Sham 69, X Ray Spex, The Skids, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Undertones, The Damned, Ian Dury, Joy Division & more..

Comments

• Options
    yeah I watched it as well, I always find it strange that the stranglers ( who I love ) barely get a mention, which always pisses's me off?
  • Options
    yeah I watched it as well, I always find it strange that the stranglers ( who I love ) barely get a mention, which always pisses's me off?
    I know what you mean. I think it's because musically they were a cut above everyone else. They were also older, I believe. I'd like to think they'd have become popular with or without punk. With most of the other bands they'd have never got a hearing in a different guise.
  • Options
    The Jam end up on a programme about punk, they may have appealled to many punks but were never punks themselves and towards the late 70's became Mods. That said there anti-establishment lyrics/songs were appealling to the punk 'movement'.....really enjoyed the programme anyway.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it.

I can't remember the Damned being that rubbish though.
  • Options
    Well i know that the ex-lead signer Hugh Cornwell got interview in great detail...so i'm guessing they are on it next week.

Stranglers never class themselves as 'punks' anyway, so they might get more of a say in the post-punk era..focusing on the Black and White album.
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll turn up on it, it's been very good so far

I know that The Stranglers have been overlooked in these type of programmes in the past, Hugh reckoned it was because they "upset" a few journalists at the time. Some of these are now pulled in as experts when they are putting these shows together and are getting their own back. HC mentioned Jon Savage as one example, another poor sod ended up gaffa taped to the Eiffel Tower and left there, probably a hoot for the band at the time but not the best PR exercise.

I think JJ Burnel used to overdo the physical intimidation, in the end the aforementioned Hugh had enough and walked. That's a story in itself, he was watching the test match before setting off to a gig and Devon Malcolm hit a boundary. HC decided something as unusual as that must be a sign and decided that was the night to quit. I just hope none of my favourite bands were watching that shambles at Edgbaston this morning....

• Options
    Hopefully he'll turn up on it, it's been very good so far

I know that The Stranglers have been overlooked in these type of programmes in the past, Hugh reckoned it was because they "upset" a few journalists at the time. Some of these are now pulled in as experts when they are putting these shows together and are getting their own back. HC mentioned Jon Savage as one example, another poor sod ended up gaffa taped to the Eiffel Tower and left there, probably a hoot for the band at the time but not the best PR exercise.

I think JJ Burnel used to overdo the physical intimidation, in the end the aforementioned Hugh had enough and walked. That's a story in itself, he was watching the test match before setting off to a gig and Devon Malcolm hit a boundary. HC decided something as unusual as that must be a sign and decided that was the night to quit. I just hope none of my favourite bands were watching that shambles at Edgbaston this morning....

Yeah JJ did have that intimidation that has been said by other members of the band..but without him, The Stranglers wouldn't be anywhere as near good!

Just been told that Jet Black (drummer) was also interviewed for it, so they must be on it at some point next week haha!

Jon Savage slagged off The Stranglers for the 'No More Heroes' track, so they took revenge on him by kidnapping him!

Another reason why the BBC don't always get along with The Stranglers is due to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBcKVECSPkc
  • Options
    Classic stuff...probably my all time favourite song. You could overdub the bit from the live album - "Did somebody say w*nker?" the BBC would really blow a fuse with that one.
  • Options
    Jools Holland "The sound of London" was a good watch the other night.

As was "lost routes" thought it was about the 89 from Lewisham but it was about a Thames sailing barge

some good docs on the box at the moment