Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tuesday 5pm - Greece v Czech Republic - Preview/Match Thread

Monday 5pm Greece v Czech Republic preview/match thread

Fifa Rankings

Greece - 15
Czech Republic - 27

As the first round of games conclude we circle back round again to group A with Greece against the Czech Republic.
With Russia heavy favourites to win the group, the race for second heats up with both teams needing wins to keep their hopes of reaching the quarter finals very much alive as Greece look to seize the opportunity to go second, if perhaps only momentarily, and the Czech’s fight to avoid being the first side to be eliminated from the competition.

Tactics:

Greece are likely to maintain their 4-3-3 formation and workman-like ethic to continue, although with ‘first game syndrome’ no longer an excuse we could perhaps see the solid mentality relaxed slightly in favour of a more attacking approach in search for goals to progress through the group.
Santos faces a selection headache with Sokratis Papastathopoulos suspended and both Avraam Papadopoulos and midfielder Giorgos Fotakis out with injuries, however Kyriakos Papadopoulos is expected to come into defence.

Czech Republic will be despearate to win the game at all costs and expectations are that they will really go for the win, the team possesses pace amongst its ranks and will be looking to utilize this asset to get behind the Greek defence and gain an early goal to settle the nerves. Veteran goalkeeper Petr Cech will be hoping to cut out the errors for this crucial game and manager Bilek is also reported to be set to make changes to the starting line up by placing Michal Kadlec back to centre half after struggling at left back in the previous fixture.

One to watch:

Giannis Fetfatzidis – Dubbed the ‘Greek Messi’, a young player rated highly in his home country.

Milan Baros – Will be looking to fire his country into contention

Odds:

Greece win: 9/5 (Ladbrokes)
Czech Republic win: 11/8 (Ladbrokes)
Draw: 9/4 (Ladbrokes)

Prediction:

A very determined and motivated Czech side to edge out Greece and take all 3 points leaving group A wide open with everything to play for still.
Czech Republic 2 – 1 Greece

Comments

• Options
    I think the Czechs will have enough to win, though Greece were not too shoddy in the first game.
  • Options
    Great preview.
  • Options
    Czechs 2 - 0 Greece
  • Options
    Greece V Czech Rep 2-2 Scoreline ( 24-1 Betfair)
    Pilar to score anytime ( 7-1 Sporting Bet )
    Karagounis to be shown a card ( 12-5 Betfair)
  • Options
    Czechs 2-Bubble & Squeaks 1
  • Options
    I don't know how the Greeks can 'bail out' of this one, 2-0 to the Czechs.
  • Options
    I'm sure one or two czechs have bounced in Greece recently so I'm going for 3-1 CR win.
  • Options
    Game over after 6 mins?
  • Options
    Oh dear Greece , 2-0 Czechs after 5 minutes.
  • Options
    2-0 already no even 6 mins gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great start
  • Options

Get in there ! 7-1
  • Options
    Now why can't we start off games like that?
  • Options
    I feel cheated - no goals in this one for 13 minutes now!
  • Options
    No idea why the keeper needed to go off ...
  • Options
    "and there we have it, a game involving greece and some bouncing czech's"
  • Options
    No idea why the keeper needed to go off ...
    He could probably see what was coming...

• Options
    Does Georgios Samaras actually do anything ?
  • Options
    shocking goalkeeping right there.
  • Options
    oh dear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Get in there ! 7-1
    this is the one I ment to quote !
  • Options
    Dartford , good read , did you edit your predicted score , or are you a whizzkid at this kind of stuff? :-0
  • Options
    Thanks appreciated.
    Haha, just edited a typo honest!! Thought I'd got it completely wrong after the first 10 minutes though