Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wednesday 7-45pm Holland vs Germany Preview/Match Thread

The Details:
Holland vs Germany
Wednesday 13th June 2012
Metalist Stadium - Kharkiv
Kick off 7-45pm

Fifa Rankings:
Holland - 4
Germany - 3

Form:

The Dutch will be looking to get points on the board in Group B after a shock defeat to Denmark in their first game. For all their possession, they failed to take the chances that came their way and were made to pay by a solid Danish side.

For the Germans, it was a rather different story. They got off to the best possible start on Saturday evening with a 1-0 win over Portugal. It was an efficient and strong performance from a side who are being tipped by many to go all the way in the tournament.

Tactics:

In their opening game, Holland went with Robin Van Persie up front on his own, with Afellay, Robben and Sneijder operating in behind. However, these four could not find a way past the Danes. Therefore, it is a possibility that they opt for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar instead on Wednesday evening. With regard to their game plan, there may not be any drastic changes. The attacking quartet will be instructed to move it out to the respective wide men and deliver the ball into the box to the strikers.

Germany also boast a world class front four. Podolski, Ozil, Mueller and Gomez are all world class players who're progressing into superstars for their country. It is likely Joachim Low will stick with the same eleven that delivered the points on Saturday. The side has great technical ability, and players like Ozil and Schweinsteiger will be key to unlocking the Dutch defence. With the predatory instincts of Mario Gomez, the experience of Philip Lahm and the prowess of Manuel Neuer in goal, the Germans look the team to beat.

Ones to Watch:

Robben

Gomez

Odds:

Holland
2/1
Germany
11/8

Prediction:

Galvanised and still on a high from Saturday, Germany will be raring to go again on Wednesday evening. They'll be well organised and disciplined from the start, making them hard to beat. Holland will have to throw everything at them if they're to still have a chance of progressing past the group stages. This is likely to result in the Germans picking holes in the defence, leading to another convincing German victory.

Germany to win 2-0

Comments

• Options
    Expect the Dutch to start with a recognised striker ( Huntelaar ) and as much as they have world class players the defence is still iffy, so although everything here in Holland is Oranje, I predict a draw which won't do the Dutch any favours.
  • Options
    Massive game. Dutch defence looks shaky as anything but they looked very good going forward. Could be a cracker this
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this one.

Could have a massive influence on the spreads comp as well. Netherlands were the most backed team in the comp, 52 people buying them. Only 4 sold them, and 2 of those for the full 200 quid, so lots of interest here.
  • Options
    Watching it with Dutch family at the old dears, the whole house is covered in a mix of orange and St George's crosses.

HUP Holland HUP
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Really looking forward to this one.

Could have a massive influence on the spreads comp as well. Netherlands were the most backed team in the comp, 52 people buying them. Only 4 sold them, and 2 of those for the full 200 quid, so lots of interest here.
    Come on Germany.

• Options
    Farewell to the Oranges .. Germany 2 v Netherlands 0
  • Options
    Backing the Germans in this, that Dutch defence is truly awful, I do fancy goals in it and a number of cards. Should be a cracking atmosphere as well. These sorts of games are why I love international tournaments, the Euros especially.
  • Options
    Holland v Germany 2-2 scoreline ( 15-1 188bet)
    De Jong to receive a card ( 8-5 Betfair)
    Both Teams to score ( 8-11 Betfair)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Van Bommel or De Jong to get a card is simply buying money
  • Options
    Van Bommel received one in the last game so he might be a bit wary of being suspended, thats why ive gone for De Jong.
  • Options
    That's what people said about Parker before the France game.
  • Options
    Van Bommel is an animal. Wouldn't surprise me if he didnt hold back Beds! Especially v the Germans
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Van Bommel is an animal. Wouldn't surprise me if he didnt hold back Beds! Especially v the Germans
    True. I won on him getting booked in the first game.
  • Options
    Its going to be a blood bath. Germany 2-1 Holland, 3 red cards and 7 yellows.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Gotta love a Germany v Holland match up. Lots of history on and off the pitch and the way the group is set up it should be a cracker. For all their techncial talent Holland will have to up their workrate if they are going to get anything out of the game and RVP must have his shooting boots back on, unlike the first match.

Having seen all the teams now I really like the look of the Germans and can't see them slipping up.

What are the odds on van Bommel picking up a red, 'cos if they are behind with 10 to go I can easily see that happening?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    At the back of their minds the Germans must be thinking that a draw is a decent result, so if it's level in the second half it could turn into Dutch attack v German defence. In that situation it would be typical of the Germans to nick it with a goal on the break.

BTW does anyone else always misread Metalist Stadium as Mentalist Stadium? That would definitely be a better name.
  • Options
    can't help feel after the hype and excitement it will be dull 0-0
  • Options
    can't help feel after the hype and excitement it will be dull 0-0
    With all that attacking flair on the pitch? Surely not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BTW does anyone else always misread Metalist Stadium as Mentalist Stadium? That would definitely be a better name.
    Yep, did exactly the same. Maybe it says more about us though :-/
  • Options
    Yep, did exactly the same. Maybe it says more about us though :-/
    Or our perception of Ukrainians?
  • Options
    I reckon the Germans by a narrow margin which is the end for Holland I am afraid I have a lot of Dutch colleagues and they were distraught after the Denmark game.
  • Options
    I am seriously up for this one. I just hope the Dutch can get their act together and throw the group wide open.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Apparently the Dutch have reverted to footballing type and are bickering amongst themselves. Or is it just banter?
    So hard to tell nowadays.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I am seriously up for this one. I just hope the Dutch can get their act together and throw the group wide open.
    Me too.

I bought the Dutch!
  • Options
    I don't think the Dutch will get their bikes back, but I can hope!
  • Options
    got a second of a double riding on Germany winning this @5/1.....with £20 free bet from PaddyPower....Portugal have delivered now just a 1-0 from Germans and I'll take that!!
  • Options
    If the Dutch lose they're still in it though aren't they? A decent victory over Portugal and a Danish defeat to Germany would put them through, or I have I made a mistake?
  • Options
    Did the commentator just say the ref was a multi millionaire from Sweden?