Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thursday 5pm - Croatia v Italy - Preview/Match Thread

Italy v Croatia-Thursday 14th June- 5pm kick-off

FIFA Rankings:
Italy 12, Croatia 8

Whilst you might struggle to recall too many famous Croatians, one that comes to everyone’s mind is, of course, Andrija Mohorovicic, the pioneer of seismology. And, at first sight, you might expect there to be shock waves through European football if Croatia were to topple Italy in this Group C fixture. However, Sepp Blatter and his cronies presumably take the ranking system seriously and it would surprise some to find that Croatia is four places ahead of their close neighbours.

With 3 points for a win and only 1 for a draw, the pressure is on The Azzurri to win this one – a draw could leave them sweating on Spain to beat Croatia and a defeat could mean the end of their tournament.

Tactics

Croatia looked a classy side against Ireland, although they will find the going tougher against Italy. We are all familiar with the silky skills of Modric in midfield, but Rakitic and Perisic also had the Irish chasing shadows for long periods. Up front Mandzukic and Jelavic will be hoping to add to their goal tally even though they won’t have the help of diving headers from Shay Given. Italy’s manager, Prandelli, describes Croatia’s tactics and formation as changing over the course a game making them a difficult team to counter and less predictable than Spain.

How Italy will line up is difficult to judge. A defensive system against Spain (described by one paper as 4-6-0) succeeded in limiting the chances of the Champions, but this game is pivotal in Group C and Italy will need to try to wrap up three points. Di Natale scored after replacing an increasingly frustrated Balotelli in the Spain match and is rumoured to be in line for keeping his place.

Ones to watch: Modric (Croatia) Pirlo (Italy)

Odds: I’d keep your money in your pocket for this one, but, if you fancy a flutter, the best odds seem to be: Italy (4/3 – 32Red), Croatia (5/2 – Totesport), the draw (23/10 Bet365)

Prediction:

Less than 50 miles separate the borders of Italy and Croatia and this game could be a close one in the Battle of the Adriatic.

Recent tournaments do not help much in assessing the likely outcome. At Euro 2008, Croatia won all three group matches, including a win over Germany, only to succumb to Turkey on penalties. Italy, at the same tournament, scraped through the group stage with 4 points, but lost on penalties to Spain.
At the World Cup in 2010, Italy returned home after coming bottom of a group that included New Zealand, while Croatia failed to qualify.

Whilst the Croatian shirts look like a chequered flag (for those watching in black and white), it seems unlikely that they will have the legs to be there at the finish of this event. However, they are no mugs. Italy has never beaten Croatia and it could stay that way as a 1-1 draw looks a likely outcome.

Comments

• Options
    2-1 to the Croats who are Italy's bogey side and will continue to be so...
  • Options
    Got a feeling this might be our first goalless game. 0-0
  • Options
    Good preview Thai.

I'm with Beds, think its going to be a tight, low score one, but thin Italy will edge it.
  • Options
    Croat win purely for the Comp
  • Options
    Italy V Croatia score 0-0 ( 8-1 Sky Bet )
    Motta to Receive a card ( 5-2 Betfair)
    10-12 Corners ( 12-5 Betfair)
  • Options
    Ive done a couple of quid on: Di Natale/Italy 9/1 @ Betfair
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I'm with Beds, think its going to be a tight, low score one, but thin Italy will edge it.
    It could be the fat Croatians, AFKA
  • Options
    Sticking with Croatia to win the Tournament and can't see them losing today.
  • Options

A defensive system against Spain (described by one paper as 4-6-0)
    Must have been a pretty poor publication. I'm first to have a pop at Italy, but several good chances, 7 shots and they were clearly playing a 352/532 system: suspect the 460 comment may have been aimed at Spain, who were also not particularly defensive, but I'd not expect some journalists to actually spot such tricky things as formations and tactics.

For today despite the encouraging first match, I think Croatia will edge it, but I'd take a draw.

Strange odds on the Motta redcard. It's not like he gets sent off every three games that he plays...

• Options
    Stop Modric, stop Croatia ... and the Italians will stop him. Italy 2 v Croatia 0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croatia 0 - 2 Italy
  • Options

A defensive system against Spain (described by one paper as 4-6-0)
    Must have been a pretty poor publication. I'm first to have a pop at Italy, but several good chances, 7 shots and they were clearly playing a 352/532 system: suspect the 460 comment may have been aimed at Spain, who were also not particularly defensive, but I'd not expect some journalists to actually spot such tricky things as formations and tactics.

For today despite the encouraging first match, I think Croatia will edge it, but I'd take a draw.

Strange odds on the Motta redcard. It's not like he gets sent off every three games that he plays...

Agree with Mort here, wouldn't have said it was particularly defensive by Italy, I was quite impressed by thema actually but then I shouldn't be surprised as Prandelli is a god
  • Options
    Italy starting 11 -
    Buffon, Bonucci, De Rossi, Chiellini, Maggio, Marchisio, Pirlo, Thiago Motta, Giaccherni, Balotelli, Cassano.

croatia starting 11 -
    Pletikosa, Srna, Corluka, Schildenfeld, Strinic, Rakitic, Vukojevic, Modric, Perisic, Jelavic, Mandzukic.

Ref - Howard Webb
  • Options
    Mute button on now. Pardew talking to Lineker
  • Options
    Backed your corners bet as I think that is good value
  • Options
    Great Goal from Pirlo!!
  • Options
    These card bets are great. Mr Motta in the book!
  • Options
    Have you blanked on any game yet ?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Have you blanked on any game yet ?
    One or two games have come up blank but ever day i've had bets pay out. ( 12 in total so far)

• Options
    Ive done a couple of quid on: Di Natale/Italy 9/1 @ Betfair

If he doesnt come on, do I get my money back ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    if it's first goal scorer and he wasn't on when the first goal went in - Yes. or if it's anytime and he doesn't come on at all.
  • Options
    Crap... Come on the azzuri
  • Options
    if it's first goal scorer and he wasn't on when the first goal went in - Yes. or if it's anytime and he doesn't come on at all.
    cheers

• Options
    Deja vu