Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky TV deal

2»

Comments

• Options
    In that case it just proves my point more. If the majority of clubs are earning less than I said from tickets sales, say £10m instead of the £15m I said, then that means, it's currently 20%, not 25%, and therefore a 25% increase in ticket prices would mean a 2% increase in revenues, is that really going to allow them to sign better players? When you factor in hospitality, sponsorship and other revenues, you're basically looking at club alienating it's fans and having empty seats, for a <1% increase in gross venues. That has got to be crazy!
  • Options
    I think the increased money that the clubs get will go on higher wages not on any benefit for the fans. After all how can these footballers survive on £100,000 plus per week, we're all in this together.
  • Options
    The only one of those 3 who could conceivably go pop is Sky, and I think they would require the current media investigations to result in them losing their license to broadcast. Of course, if that happens it could lead to the PL going pop, as the clubs will have spent that money already, and £3billion is a far deeper hole to climb out of then the FL had to when ITV Digital went bust.
  • Options
    In some ways it would be very funny if Sky and the PL went bust. If all of the clubs went into Administration the 9 point penalty wouldn't mean anything.

If Sky went I suspect another company would come along and pay almost as much for the TV that Sky would have showed.

Besides if the Tory party are able to sweep away the current BSkyB scandal I suspect they will find a way to protect them from any significant punishment moving forward.
  • Options
    Oh, I agree, I can't see Murdock and his empire getting more than a slap on the wrist. They'll give up some sacrificial scape-goats (Brooker and Coulson should be very worried I think), and it'll quickly be forgotten about.
  • Options

If Sky went I suspect another company would come along and pay almost as much for the TV that Sky would have showed.

I honestly don't think there is another media company that could put forward that kind of cash.
  • Options

I honestly don't think there is another media company that could put forward that kind of cash.
    Maybe not one but the games could be broken up and sold to several companies. If Sky can make money from it then I would assume that sooner or later someone would apply a similar model.
  • Options
    Yes, but if you removed the dominant player in the market it's likely the price would collapse. No way it's going to happen, though, as the most that could happen to Sky as a result of the current scandal is that the Murdochs will be excluded as fit and proper people to control the company (and even that is unlikely). It would just continue without them.

• Options
    All this talk of money is brilliant but my only interest is will it make clubs more financially stable? The evidence so far suggests it will not.