Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

question re the officials behind the goal.

why is it that the linesman are running the left back touchline, and the officials behind the goal are between the keepers left hand post and left corner flag?
surely if they are positioned between the right hand post and right flag, the referee would have less of a diagonal to run, and any 'was it over the line' decisions would be viewed from both sides.

Comments

• Options
    Always thought that, doesn't seem to make any sense having the extra officials the same side as the lino, still leaves the other side as more of a 'blind spot' if the ref isn't there
  • Options
    i haven't seen one of them do a single thing yet this competition. even from yards away.
  • Options
    and what are those magic wands that they hold?
  • Options
    i haven't seen one of them do a single thing yet this competition. even from yards away.
    How can you tell they're not doing anything, when they are mic'ed up to the referees. Could be that they're advising referees to not give penalties. That in itself it "doing a single thing". In most games they probably won't have any decisions to make, but if they help to make one call a game, and get it right more often than not, then that surely justifies them. Without any data though it's hard to know.
  • Options
    They use them during Europa league games, don't really make much difference as the ref has the final say
  • Options
    they do seem to miss a fair amount... are they only allowed to intervene if it is a goaline decision? One that springs to mind was a very clear dutch corner given as a goalkick - but then again linemens get these wrong when they are right in front of them too
  • Options
    they do seem to miss a fair amount... are they only allowed to intervene if it is a goaline decision? One that springs to mind was a very clear dutch corner given as a goalkick - but then again linemens get these wrong when they are right in front of them too
    yeah i noticed that one today. right in front of him.

i think they're all a bit useless. including the linesman on the other side. There he was waving away as if he was in charge of the chequered flag at the silverstone grand prix for what was he thought was a foul when in actual fact the German had tripped himself up. right in front of him.
  • Options
    and what are those magic wands that they hold?
    the sticks they are carrying are cattle prods.............just in case anyone gets rowdy.
  • Options
    How can you tell they're not doing anything, when they are mic'ed up to the referees. Could be that they're advising referees to not give penalties. That in itself it "doing a single thing". In most games they probably won't have any decisions to make, but if they help to make one call a game, and get it right more often than not, then that surely justifies them. Without any data though it's hard to know.
    Last night in one of the games (can't remember which one) you could clearly see the 5th(?) official chatting over the radio following a clumsy (but legal) challenge in the box presumably advising against a pen.

Back to the OP - I wondered that too. Only thing I could think of was that if the are assisting the ref and NOT the lino then they should be on the opposite to the refs diagonal. Must admit it seems a bit odd though
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Gary lineaker has promised he is going to answer the question...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like the fact that clown Clattenberg is only good enough to stand waving a wand behind the goal. Arrogant prick
  • Options
    There has been a lot less shirt pulling at corners. So they have had an effect
  • Options
    The fifth official could be on the left so he is on the opposite side to the referee's assistant. This way the officials can judge if the ball is over the line from both sides such as when it is a corner.
  • Options
    I have a question about this tournament. Why are the pitch markings so big? There's centre circles that are bigger than the ball and the corner arcs seem to sweep out for yards on end, if they get any bigger there'll be people tacking corners from within the penalty box! And still players are trying to do The Kinsella and gain an extra foot.