Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friday 5pm - Ukraine v France - Preview/Match Thread

FIFA Rankings

Ukraine 52 France 14

Last Time Out

Despite being on a Huddersfield like unbeaten run and having far more possession and shots against the English, the French came away from their opening game with just a point. For all their movement and tidy passing they failed to trouble the English goal that often. They were also quite happy to "put it about a bit" to block English runners, something that is likely to draw more fouls and free-kicks against the home side.

Ukraine turned round a one goal deficit to Sweden with two Shevchenko goals much to the relief of the UK commentators who are always much more comfortable fixating on players they have heard of (ie have played in the premiership). But Sweden ran the co-hosts very close and the home side looked vulnerable at the back.

Predictions

Ukraine have the luxury of topping the group and home advantage while France will not wish to go into the last match without a win. Expect to see France again dominate possession but this time turning that into goals. Dodgy pen will rescue the hosts. Ukraine 2 France 2

Ones to Watch

Ukraine: Andriy Yarmolenko - The "new Shevchenko" by all accounts. A goal scoring left winger/forward
France: Super Yann. That's M'vila not Kermorgant. Left on the bench in the last game Blanc may call on this defensive midfielder to bring more decisive passing to their midfield

Odds

France – 11/10
Ukraine – 3/1
Draw – 9/4

Comments

• Options
    I fancy Ukraine for this one and to qualify comfortably, 2-1
  • Options
    France to win 3-0 (Benzema hat-tick)
  • Options
    I agree with the possibility of Ukraine getting a dodgy penalty but Ukraine have an even more Dodgy keeper!
    France may need 3 to win it but a couple of half decent efforts from both Nasri and Benzema should seal a win.
    I think a France win is a better bet than an English one unfortunately (but due largely to my estimation of the opposition's defences).
  • Options
    Ukraine will play with passion, France will attempt to be nonchalant et debonaire .. France has the skill, Ukraine the desire. A hard game to predict. but ....

Ukraine 0 v France 2
  • Options
    2-1 France
  • Options
    Ukraine V France Score 1-2 ( 9-1 Stan James)
    Benzema to score anytime ( 7-4 Betfair)
    Evra to be shown a card ( 3-1 Betfair )
  • Options
    Easy French win
  • Options
    2-0 France

Would love a draw though.
  • Options
    France are odds on in most places now to win. It seems that the England to win outright price is going out by quite a margin (if you are betting big).
  • Options
    Ukraine in their own back yard will be difficult to beat and it all depends, rather like in the rugby, which French side turns up.

I can see Ukraine winning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being the first game I think France gave us more respect than we probably deserved and our defence is clearly better than the Ukrainians. Coupled with a very dodgy keeper as Jimmy says above I expect France to get at least 2.

Yarmolenko did look lively though so can see him getting one back for them.
  • Options
    Hellfire and brimstone! This game will be cancelled at this rate
  • Options
    Game suspended
  • Options
    Wow...match suspended...torrential rain, lightning strikes all round stadium!!
  • Options
    Good. On train going home so won't miss so much
  • Options
    No chance of them coming out right now, the amount of standing water there is I can see them postponing it until tomorrow
  • Options
    It won't restart before 6pm they just said & maybe not then or not at all. Still fork lightning coming down & pitch drenched.
  • Options
    it looked like close encounters of 3rd kind - the roof of the stadium made it look like a UFO coming in to land.
  • Options
    Game will restart at 6pm.
  • Options
    Looks really waterlogged to me....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is ridiculous. EUFA knew that Ukraine had weather and they still went ahead. If that had been English weather.......
  • Options
    One unfortunate side-effect of all this is repeated views of Thomas Brolin in his "expert" role. It's a gross sight, I swear he's put on weight even since the last time he was on a couple of days ago.

I think I might have to switch to the BBC
  • Options
    Huh, Henry didn't tell us that this might happen in his preview.
  • Options
    You just know they'll put the sprinklers on at half time.......
  • Options
    This lot clearly wasn't at Yeovil Town a couple of years ago if they think this is bad.
  • Options
    Well 2-0 France. England need to win.
  • Options
    The storm was the most exciting bit.
    Thought Menez was never going to score - until he did.
    Ukrainian keeper looks like a young, Roy Chubby Brown.
  • Options
  • Options
    'I remember you. You were 'ugly bloke' once on TFI Friday, weren't you?'
  • Options
    'I remember you. You were 'ugly bloke' once on TFI Friday, weren't you?'
    They're team-mates, weird incident.