Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saturday 7.45pm - Russia v Greece - Preview/Match Thread

Russia v Greece -Saturday 16th June- 7.45pm kick-off

FIFA Rankings:
Russia 13, Greece 15

Aside from six bad minutes at the beginning of the Poland game, the Greek team has looked more solid than their recent Governments. Their qualification for Euro 2012 was comfortable, although they were the lowest scoring group winners with only 15 goals from 10 games.

The Russian team seems to turn up to tournaments as being strong outsiders, but have a habit of flattering to deceive. In their warm up games, they beat Italy comfortably, but drew with Lithuania. They started impressively against the Czech Republic with a 4-1, but many question whether they can keep that momentum going.

Leagues of four teams are strange things. With goal difference being less significant than the result between teams tied on the same number of points, strange things can happen. After one game, you would have said that Russia were almost home and dry for the knockout phase, but a win for Greece will eliminate the Russians unless the Czech Republic and Poland draw with each other. Weirdly, Russia could end up as the only team in the group with a positive goal difference yet still not qualify.

Tactics

Too much of the liqueur called advocaat would undoubtedly make you sick, but Dick Advocaat’s attacking-minded charges have made most football fans feel good. They outplayed the Czech Republic in their opener and after a slower start against joint hosts, Poland, they looked dangerous throughout. Young Dzagoev proved hard for the Polish defence to contain while Zhirkov’s probing runs were threatening.

Greece stuck at the task in their opener against Poland, recovering well after the almost unpronounceable Papastathopoulos was harshly red carded. (Do referees still ask players for their name or do they look at the back of the shirts?) The Greeks were caught cold in their match against the Czech Republic going down 2-0 down in 6 minutes. They never fully recovered managing only one shot in a poor first half performance; the final outcome was a 2-1 win for the bouncing Czechs.

Ones to watch: Alan Dzagoev (Russia) Giorgos Karagounis (Greece)

Odds: Greece have long odds for two closely ranked sides, but bookies are no fools - Russia have looked far sharper. However, if the goal doesn’t come Russia may get the collywobbles and try to hang on, thus inviting a shock. Russia (3/4 – Paddy Power), Greece (9/2 – Stan James), the draw (14/5 Stan James)

Prediction:

Group A is still wide open. With the exception of Russia finishing bottom, every team can end up in any of the four positions. However, for Greece, it is clear cut. A win means they qualify, anything else means they are on the next flight to Athens.

Greece won their qualifying group comfortably pushing Croatia into second spot. They are an organised team that are capable of getting results. They were, however, the lowest scorers of the qualifying group winners and this may be their downfall. If they go one down, they will struggle to chase the game. Put your week’s salary on a 2-0 win for Russia.

Comments

• Options
    I think Russia have been my favourite team to watch this tournament, looking forward to this one.

Great preview.
  • Options
    Greece V Russia 2-2 score ( 17-1 188Bet)
    Shirokov to get a card ( 7-2 Betfair )
    Russia Halftime /Draw Fulltime ( 16-1 Betfair)
  • Options
    Excellent preview. Had I read it earlier, I wouldn't have bet so much on Russia (400€, to win 280).
    Still confident, but less dead-cert.
  • Options
    The former workers' paradise v the current shirkers' paradise .. easy win for Russia .. Russia 3 v Greece 0
  • Options
    Russia 4 - 0 Greece
  • Options

I have my money on Russia for tournament winners (praying for simultaneous food poisoning in the German and Spanish camps)

Respect the views in the preview but still predict a workman-like Russian demolition of the bankrupt Agean loafers and the final end of austerity measures like paying tax, going to work occasionally and cutting holidays to less than six months per year.
  • Options
    Another excellent preview Thai. Think it will comfortable for Russia personally, though Greece have performed better than I thought they would.
  • Options
    1-0 to the greeks after prolonged russian pressure, makes things very interesting now, both these teams through if it stays this way
  • Options
    stone wall pen denied for greece!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Is it worth turning over for , the Poland Czech game is shockingly poor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    greece hit the bar from a FK, good game greece have been great second half
  • Options
    And as I write that the Czechs score
  • Options
    Russia and Poland go out on these results
  • Options
    stone wall pen denied for greece!
    It's a Swedish referee, isn't it?
  • Options
    discgraceful cheating from the greek player, very amusing.
  • Options
    two awful teams into the quarters then
  • Options
    Will have to borrow to pay the rent.
    Send them all to Siberia, Putin included.
  • Options
    Goodness me - the only team in the group with a positive goal difference is out.
  • Options
    Another great call by from the 'experts' telling us Russia were a team to watch. Thankfully they don't give much for England's chances lol
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I have my money on Russia for tournament winners (praying for simultaneous food poisoning in the German and Spanish camps)

Respect the views in the preview but still predict a workman-like Russian demolition of the bankrupt Agean loafers and the final end of austerity measures like paying tax, going to work occasionally and cutting holidays to less than six months per year.
    It's a funny old game, Saint
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Goodness me - the only team in the group with a positive goal difference is out.
    That is quite bizarre isn't it. Makes a complete mockery of the criteria used.

Well played Greece. I feel sorry for Karagounis though; no way should he miss the next match. Something else UEFA have got badly wrong. Yellow=automatic suspension is far too harsh, especially when you look at the propensity of refs to make decisions that are totally wrong.
  • Options
    Indeed, truly bizarre and I can't remember this happening before but I suppose it must have done sometime.

• Options
    Well done Greece. It's nice to give something to cheer about to a people who are going to work without getting paid, or not having received their pension for a year. I bet they'd love to beat the Germans in the next round.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    What a great way to look at the Greek result

Great return to the people of Greece
  • Options
    Well done Greece. It's nice to give something to cheer about to a people who are going to work without getting paid, or not having received their pension for a year. I bet they'd love to beat the Germans in the next round.
    Or failing to pay there taxes. Could Greece do it again?
  • Options
    2 turnups so far as I'm concerned .. I fancied Russia and Poland to qualify. The Russians ran out of puff and the Poles were just not good enough.
  • Options
    Nice sentiments but in my opinion they ruined Euro 2004 and I hope they don't do it again.
  • Options
    That is quite bizarre isn't it. Makes a complete mockery of the criteria used.

But this format made it possible that any team could go through if they won. I think it works quite well and makes teams go for the win a bit more.