Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Delano Williams.

2»

Comments

• Options
    He's not a plastic Brit. He is British.
    If he is British then why is he going to represent T & C in next months world student games? I am confused.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Chris Hoy represents Scotland at the Commenwealth games. Is he British ?
  • Options
    If he is British then why is he going to represent T & C in next months world junior championship? I am confused.
  • Options
    Completely different thing.

• Options
    Chris Hoy represents Scotland at the Commenwealth games. Is he British ?
    No he is Scottish. Their is a very long answer to that but historically/politically and according to IOC rules he is British. The Turks and Caicos Islands particpate in the commonweath games which makes the position clearer. Delano Williams will only be competing at the olympic games as a brit and at all other events like the world champs/ Carreabean games as a T & C citizen, so back to my original point. He is a plastic brit.
  • Options
    So Chris Hoy is also a plastic Brit because he competes for a nation other than GB in some competitions ?
  • Options
    No Chris Hoy is Scottish. You have to ask him if he is British. National identity is very complex and beyond the remit of this thread.

• Options
    Hoy represents Scotland in the Commonwealth games, Team GB in the Europeans and Worlds - that's the same as Williams in other comps????!!!!
  • Options
    No Mark Cavendish then, as he rides for the Isle of Mann in the Commonwealths
  • Options
    Have to strip us of the 1908 field hockey crown. Captain was a falklander.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Dwain has made it into Team GB, no Delano though
  • Options
    He can always try to represent Haiti.
  • Options

They have already screwed Aaron Cook out of a place for political or diversity reasons.
    You know this for a fact or is it an "opinion"?
  • Options
    Nope. Think it all proved a bit too much for the lad in the end but he will a star of the future.
  • Options

They have already screwed Aaron Cook out of a place for political or diversity reasons.
    Why does it have to be either? He has a Haitian mum, he can compete for Haiti. He is not quick enough for Jamaica or Team GB.

• Options

Why does it have to be either? He has a Haitian mum, he can compete for Haiti. He is not quick enough for Jamaica or Team GB.

Actually this was the comment I was referring to, the quote system played havoc with it:

• Options
    It would be far too much for some to handle on here if I was to point out that Aaron Cook ranked number one in the world lost his place to Lulato Mohamed ranked 54th for any other reason than political or diversity reasons.
  • Options
    It would be far too much for some to handle on here if I was to point out that Aaron Cook ranked number one in the world lost his place to Lulato Mohamed ranked 54th for any other reason than political or diversity reasons.
    Try me...

The evidence suggests that it was more to do with Aaron Cook divorcing himself from the British Taekwondo Federation and going it alone and in the process putting a few noses out of joint than because Lulato Mohammed has a different colour skin. But if you want to play the Daily Mail card be my guest.

• Options
    So what breach of the IOC rules has Aaron committed? What legislation is in place to prevent an athlete financing his own training and by doing so leaving the ineffectual training techniques of the British taekwondo federation that held him back? Would say, say Paula Radcliffe be banned for training in the artic with Eskimos? It's a stitch up and is either politics or diversity. The two fought this year and Aaron kicked his arse.
    I would be keen to hear what law he has broken?
    Perhaps it's because the lottery funding may be withdrawn from the BTF and nice cosy payouts won't be passed around. Or his face don't fit?

Daily mail indeed..Pathetic.
  • Options
    Yeah I thought so.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who were you before @Browntrousers? The deleted account? I don't think you answered last time.
  • Options
    I told you already.....I have never posted as anyone on here before. Was I supposed to collect a goody bag?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    He hasn't broken any laws by choosing to do his training elsewhere. that's why everyone thinks its a joke. they cant believe he's not in it. He went against the BTCB, trained by himself. if he won gold it would show that better results are gained from outside rather than in....so safe bet....choose someone inside. who's left....two guys in his weight division -80kg. can only take one so they choose mohammed.

its not because of diversity. don't ask me why. it just isn't. it doesn't need to be because the above that you already know and have mentioned is why Aaron has not been chosen and that's enough of a reason. They wont go back on it. three times Aaron has asked them to reconsider. imagine if they said now, "right, yeah, we made a mistake. turns out Aarons on team. Yay for us." they would look stupid if they did this.

below someone else (though i slightly edited it) wrote this when the news broke...

In a statement from Gary Hall the GB Taekwondo performance director about his decision in why Lutalo was picked ahead of Aaron (most of the statement was pointless. just going on about head shot touch rule) the last thing he decided to leave as his parting shot in his comparison between Lutalo and Aaron. Gary Hall stated "And his (Lutalo's) temperament is first class."

This comment of Gary's, whilst seemingly innocuous, is infact very telling; yep, he just can't cope with the fact that Aaron knew the BTCB/GBT was not the best place for him to develop his sporting taekwondo skills and performance, and that he went away and proved them all wrong. Substitute the word 'obedience' for 'temperament' and then you'll know what Gary was REALLY saying here.
  • Options
    This is disgusting.

I heard a rumour and it is a rumour that Mohamed's dad is very influential in the sport being a former professional martial artist and may have twisted the BTCB into making a decision that was patently dishonest and against the ethos of sport. I am not saying this is a race case (but the ignorant and simplistics on this site would look for it anyway) but perhaps something sinister is happening at funding or selection level. Until I hear something rationale then what are we supposed to think?. What did Sherlock Holmes say "when you eliminate the impossible, the improbable remains and that must be the truth"
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @WSS can we close this thread please? It was intended as a discussion about plastic Brits in general and one specific case but there seems to be other agendas being pushed which after a certain amount of friction on CL recently I think we can do without.
  • Options
    I agree turn our backs on an injustice.
  • Options
    I agree turn our backs on an injustice.
    Yeah, whatever Mr Cream Cords. Take your wind ups somewhere else.
  • Options
    Why is it a wind up? Why can I not champion a cause just because that frightens your sensibilities? This is an important issue certainly for Aaron but sport in general. When does discussion ob what is just and right become second place to sensitivity.