Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taekwondo Selection Controversy

Does anyone know what this is about?

As far as I can tell Britain has the number 1 ranked under 80Kg fighter in the world but he has been left out to accommodate the number 59 ranked fighter who has dropped down a weight category or two and in fairness was ranked far higher than 59 in the heavier categories.

Seems a strange old business though so can any Taekwondo fans shed any light?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I am no expert but the justification is as follows as I undestand it from a Radio 5 feature. The scoring system has been changed and the way that the world no. 1 gets his points scores less with the new rules (with his head, I think). Therefore, the selection committee claim that the number 59 is more likely to win. The No.1 rightly claims that he will play a different game with the new scoring, but the committee or powers that be have turned down two appeals. Strange, indeed.
  • Options
    A report on Radio 4 [always the best station for sport ;-) ] about a fortnight ago suggest that it was because the number one guy had changed is training regime. He felt that the new system would help him to be a better fighter, but the FA (or whoever it really is), took exception to the fact that he'd removed himself from their fold.
  • Options
    What about the bloke who didn't get picked because they never had his phone number, so they emailed him and told him he had missed out !

Not sure which sport it was, but def team GB

You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    A report on Radio 4 [always the best station for sport ;-) ] about a fortnight ago suggest that it was because the number one guy had changed is training regime. He felt that the new system would help him to be a better fighter, but the FA (or whoever it really is), took exception to the fact that he'd removed himself from their fold.
    Understandably enough I would say. I don't know much about martial arts of any kind but in theory he could be using techniques or training banned by the 'official' rules. Might not be but who can say for sure...

• Options
    I was under the impression that the number 1 fighter didn't agree with there training methods and chose to train himself In his own gym which the powers that be did not like the snub, and so basically have ignored him.
  • Options
    You wonder who these "selectors" are and whether they've ever competed to a decent level. Sport is full of politicians who haven't yet enjoy the power trip. FA for example.
  • Options
    skysports reported it was because the number 1 has removed himself from gb taekwando team and gone alone to get his own sponsorship and fund himself ( which is fair enough imo as he is number 1) and the GB team hold a grudge for him doing this so dont select him! TEAM GM for the Olympic association have contested this and appealed in twice against the british taekwando federation to no avail and this may now be contested by the World taekwando association who believe its unfair that the number 1 cannot be selected due to him opting against using support from the british federation. Surely he should be there based on how good he is! Not sure when or if the final decision will be made but its been taken quite high within olympic courts
  • Options
    My sport was rowing, where there are two caregories heavy and lightweight (under 11 stone). A LW mate of mine raced Redgrave and Pinsent in final at Henley. Most R&P races were verdict easily (over 5 lengths) but mate lost by 4, pushing R&P to records at two of the three timing points, one of which still stands today. They were obviously fastest LW pair in world but selectors split them up and mate didn't even get selected for world champs.
  • Options
    Understandably enough I would say. I don't know much about martial arts of any kind but in theory he could be using techniques or training banned by the 'official' rules. Might not be but who can say for sure...

What? There isn't only one 'right' way to train. Banned training? Your post makes little sense :D
  • Options
    This is all internal politics. Cook has mortgaged his future (spending over 100 grand of own money and sponsorship) to put himself in the best position to get olympic gold. Within the system I believe they had him fighting a style (defensive?) Which did not suit his talents. He goes alone becomes no.1 and then amazingly doesn't get picked.

British taekwondo need to justify system and funding so have picked own man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What? There isn't only one 'right' way to train. Banned training? Your post makes little sense :D
    No I actually agree with you, but these are officials in positions of influence. Common sense does not apply. You do it the way they want and ONLY that way, or sling your hook.
  • Options
    Nobody from British Taekwondo has come out and faced questioning openly by the media, to me that suggests they know they are in the wrong in this matter.
  • Options
    Nobody from British Taekwondo has come out and faced questioning openly by the media, to me that suggests they know they are in the wrong in this matter.
    To be fair (and I think this decision sucks) that might be because there are legal ramifications.
    Or it might be because they are the martial arts version of 57 old farts in suits playing petty political games.

The claim is that the decision was made because the new scoring system doesn't suit Cook, but being World #1 I'd have thought that still wouldn't count. Aaaron Cook has beaten most of those who have qualified for the Olympics and won 9 out of his last 12 tournaments, so he's in form and as he's the favourite to win and if not get a medal he would give the sport a high profile in the UK, which ironically it's currently getting but for the wrong reasons.

• Options
    Must be more to the story than meets the eye , how can there be any justification for a decision where the worlds number 1 in a sport is not able to represent his country at the premium meeting , if I was him I would sue the life out of the association , surely the british Olympic committee can intervene and over rule the taekwondo mob
  • Options
    I will probably get shot down in flames by the pc brigade for this but if you see a photo of both athletes it will become More obvious as to the reason , as hinted on talk sport at the start of the week
  • Options
    Cannot wait for the two to meet in a bout, and hear the excuses when its over in favour of Cook
  • Options
    I will probably get shot down in flames by the pc brigade for this but if you see a photo of both athletes it will become More obvious as to the reason , as hinted on talk sport at the start of the week
    Meaning?

• Options
    White man, chip on shoulder?
  • Options
    White man, chip on shoulder?
    Lol
  • Options
    Why don't they fight each over for the place?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This would be the most sensible option.
  • Options
    This would be the most sensible option.
    I guess no one thought of that
  • Options
    Cook has offered to fight Muhammed for the place but the GB Taekwondo selectors have said no chance as their man would get hammered risk injury.
  • Options
    Pretty simple this & the answer has been given. Cook removed himself from the GB training set up, went his own way, has just become no.1 & is European champion. Sort of shown GB taekwondo up to be honest, they've ignored him & for the life of me I can't believe this ain't been overturned.

If it was anything to do with race, as someone has hinted above, couldn't they drop another less capable white member of the squad instead?
  • Options
    Let's not derail this thread. It has nothing to do with race. It's an organisation justifying their funding.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Wimbledon tennis Wild Card criteria = If you are ranked in the top 250 in the world you should get a Wild Card into the mens main draw. Every previous year this has been the case until a passionate Charlton fan and his partner last week rose to 183 and 190 in the world so were convinced they would get a Wild Card, especially as there are 5 to give out and only one GB pair is above them in the rankings needing a Wild Card. But no, they are given out to three players from another country and to lower ranked Brits. Even on current form 2 weeks ago they beat an American pair ranked 35 and 43 in the world. No explanation provided as to why they didnt get the nod for the Wild Card so another example of injustice.