Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday 7.45pm - Denmark v Germany / Portugal v Holland - Preview/Match Thread

Denmark v Germany -Sunday 17th June- 7.45pm kick-off

FIFA Rankings:
Denmark 9, Germany 3

Harald Bluetooth, son of Gorm The Old, ruled Denmark in the 10th century. His name was adopted by Ericcson due to his belief in God and his ability to make diverse factions communicate.

In tonight’s Group B match, Denmark might very well need some divine help and diverse skills to beat Germany. A point is all that Germany needs to ensure that they are winners of this tough group. However, the fact remains that if Denmark beat Germany and Portugal beat Holland, the unthinkable will happen and Germany will be eliminated unless Germany can end up with a better goal difference than Portugal.

Not only were Germany the only team to qualify with a 100% record, but they are already the only side at the finals to have a 100% record. Germany has dominated both of its two matches to date, but has had to weather late rallies from both Portugal and Holland.

Denmark are not ranked 9th for nothing and will make Germany work for their win. They ‘done a job’ on Holland in their first game, but against Portugal they came back well from 2-0 down only to lose the game in the last minutes.

Tactics

In 1978, Mrs Rommedahl gave birth to identical twin boys. Strangely, Mr & Mrs Rommedahl named them both Dennis – one grew up to play for PSV Eindhoven, Ajax and Denmark, the other played for Charlton Athletic. Whether Rommedahl or former Charlton keeper, Stephan Andersen, can win the game for Denmark remains to be seen.

The Danish team has proved to be solid, hard working with an ability to break well. They found the head of Nicklas Bendtner on two occasions to make a strong comeback against Portugal. However, both Portugal and Holland found holes in their defence – Portugal took their chances; Holland didn’t. Agger was outstanding in the win over Holland, but Germany’s probing style will mean that chances will come their way.

It’s often said that the teams that win these tournaments are the ones that start by winning without playing at their best and then click into top gear for the final stages. This applies so far to Germany, it could be argued, as they have dominated their two opening games without being dazzling yet having something in reserve. In midfield, Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Khedira have looked good and they look likely to be too good for the Danes.

Ones to watch: Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany) Nicklas Bendtner (Denmark)

Odds: The bookies don’t give Denmark much hope of winning this one, but don’t rule out a draw, which would be enough for Germany to ensure that they win the group. Germany (8/11 – Bet365), Denmark (5/1 BetFred), the draw (13/5 – SkyBet)

Prediction:

It would be fun to hear the Danes celebrating Rommedahl’s 90th minute winner by singing “Dennis i det sidste minut” after the game, but it’s hard to see beyond another German victory. Denmark will give a good account of themselves, but their defensive frailties will mean that Germany run out 2-0 winners.

Comments

• Options
    Nice try, Thai :-)

Seneste actually translates as "latest" rather than "last" but I think a few of us would be very happy to be singing "Dennis i det sidste minut"
  • Options
    The sausages to beat the bacon 3-0.
  • Options

Seneste actually translates as "latest" rather than "last" but I think a few of us would be very happy to be singing "Dennis i det sidste minut"
    Duly corrected, Sir. Irritatingly, the first translation gave me what you have said. My Danish is a bit rusty.

• Options

Duly corrected, Sir. Irritatingly, the first translation gave me what you have said. My Danish is a bit rusty.

I'll sing it any way it comes, mate.

Danepak will now probably correct me and claim that no true Dane would bother with the word "det" (there is, after all only one last minute).

My experience of the modern Dane is that they can't be arsed translating and would probably stick to the original which fits the tune better. Besides, the Germans wouldn't understand them if they sang in Danish
  • Options
    Our one was really named Denise....
  • Options
    they werent identical, were they?
  • Options
    Dennis is injured and will not play
  • Options
    Dennis is injured and will not play
    Perhaps the other twin could play
  • Options
    3-0 to the Germans.
  • Options
    Great preview. I'm looking forward to this one. The Danes could surprise today, but it's more likely to be a display of German efficiency.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Denmark V Germany 1-2 Score ( 15-2 Coral)
    Agger to recieve a card ( 12-5 Betfair )
    Halftime Draw / Fulltime Germany ( 5-1 Betfair)
  • Options
    I fancy the Germans might draw to make sure Holland go out.
  • Options
    I fancy the Germans might draw to make sure Holland go out.
    A fellow cynic/realist agrees .. and the teutons DO stick together
  • Options
    Half time draw 6/4
  • Options
    how is it worked out then? I thought it was done on head to head and the germans beeat portugal didnt they so surely they are already through:
    table so far:
    germans 6
    denmark 3
    portugal 3
    holland 0

so that would leave them all on 6 points if the germans lost and portugal won??
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    If Denmark beat Germany 1-0 and Portugal beat Holland 1-0 there would be 3 teams locked on 6 points as follows:

Portugal Pts 6 GF 4 GA 3
    Denmark PTs 6 GF 4 GA 3
    Germany Pts 6 GF 3 GA 2
    Holland Pts 0 GF 1 GA 4

So, the results between the three would be taken. They would have all have taken 3 points in the games between each other, so it would go down to goal difference. As it would be the same, it would be on goals scored and as Germany have scored only 3 goals so they would be out. Simple!
  • Options
    oh ok so its based on the fact that all 3 have the same points, where as in last nights games it went on head to head initially?
  • Options
    It's points first, then head to head, then goal difference.
  • Options
    Sadly we've ended up a preview light for the Portugal v Holland game, so let's amalgamate the chat for the two games on the one thread tonight.

Hollands manager has dropped his son in law on Fathers Day !
  • Options
    Plenty of cards in the Holland Portugal game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going for a draw in the Danmark v Germany game and Holland to win aginst Portugal.
  • Options
    Going for a draw in the Danmark v Germany game and Holland to win aginst Portugal.
    Judging from the DR1 coverage that's the opinion of most of Denmark. I fear it's wishful thinking....
  • Options
    I think the best they (Denmark) can hope for is a draw and that is a very big ask! Would love it if they pulled it off though! :-)
  • Options
    We're off! 1-0 Holland
  • Options
    cracking goal
  • Options
    hollands defence is very shakey. Germans 1 up.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Theyre must have been 12 goalscoring chances in the first 20 mins in the Holland game.

Denmark equalised
  • Options
    Looking at the posts on the danish language, it reminded me of this;
    For all those with knowledge of the danish, here's a norwegian comedy show's point of view on the danes and their language.
    Apologies if you've seen it before.

:-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
  • Options
    holland 1-1 ronaldo scored. always on the cards holland look awful at the back