Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Radishes

Round or long?

I personally find the round ones lack that peppery bite you used to get in the old long varieties. I suspect round radishes were invented by the same Brussels bureaucrats who we were responsible for the straight cucumber

Comments

• Options
    I don't remember ever seeing long ones, so I'll go round.
  • Options
    thats a tuff one, i need more time to think before im willing to share what side of the fence im sitting on when it comes to radish shape and taste if you dont mind hugo!?
  • Options
    It's a very personal thing and a bold thread to start but I'm not sure CL is ready for it yet. Size isn't everything.
  • Options
    Good post Hugo.

One of the problems with supermarket shopping is the lack of choice in regards to varieties of vegetables. When you work in a kitchen and you have a good supplier, you have a multitude of choices - Especially now that heirloom vegetables are gaining in popularity. It makes supermarkets a bit dull but that's why it's so worth exploring the world of Farmer's Markets. Used to love the one at Blackheath when I got a rare Sunday off.

In my experience the Rosa variety of radishes pack the most peppery punch. I am sure you would be able to source some if you put the time into it. And it too is a longer type of radish, I would make you correct in the assumption that the round ones never seem to have the same amount of flavour in that respect.

Great thread. Food for thought for us all.
  • Options
    .............tumbleweed blows across the screen of my laptop.............................................

Roll on some transfer news!
  • Options
    Long ones definitely most peppery.

Can't resist them dipped in salt.
  • Options
    Food of the devil.

Up there with celery in terms of killing a salad
  • Options
    Long ones definitely most peppery.

Can't resist them dipped in salt.
    Alright! Lick 'em,salt 'em,eat 'em.
  • Options
    The ones my uncle used to grow, all shapes and sizes.
    painful to eat, make nose and eyes run
  • Options
    Never bothered growing them on my allotment as i probably would not use them all and they would probably go to waste.

Not that keen myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are growing "Sparkler" - they are round and the pepperiness is entirely acceptable.
  • Options
    The straight Brussels cucumber is a figment of some daily mail ex-public school feverish imagination
  • Options
    Love them eityer shape TBH
  • Options
    Ah radishes, what a cracker of a topic!. Can't stand them and they give me chronic indigestion.
  • Options
    Proper Charlton Life thread, this one.
  • Options
    they're alright grated but a bit too intense whole. On the cucumber point, the old fashioned prickly ones seem to taste a lot better than the new fangled supermarket ones
  • Options
    love radishes. round ones for me.

there’s a salad called a Mexican street salad that has them in it. with cabbage, jalapenos, red onion few other bits. cracking salad.
  • Options
    Agh yes....the old Mari Lloyd music-hall song....."She sits amongst the radishes and peas"!
  • Options
    Never seen a long raddish
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Bit like an alsation's willy, but rounder at the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    adsads
    edited June 2012
    Bit like an alsation's willy, but rounder at the end.
    keep that to yourself or this'll get closed if it goes down that route

• Options
    My favourite was Radishstan Kishishev, he was all right ;-)
  • Options
    Easy to grow - try them dipped in a little melted butter. Loverly
  • Options
    Would have thought noŵ the fixtures are out this thread would have closed
  • Options
    Just keeps repeating !!