Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday 19:45pm-Croatia V Spain-Preview/Match Thread

Croatia v Spain-Monday 18th June-19:45 kick-off

FIFA Rankings
Spain: 1 Croatia: 8

Croatia and Spain lead Group C going into their final clash, but neither are guaranteed a place in the quarter-finals just yet. Croatia and Spain could guarantee that place in the quarter-finals with a draw of 2-2 or higher.

Both sides are unbeaten in the group so far; Spain drew 1-1 with Italy in their opening game and then defeated Ireland 4-0. Croatia also beat Ireland 3-1 in their opening game and likewise with Spain, Croatia drew 1-1 with Italy in the following game.

Tactics
Croatia may stick with the of switching from a 4-4-2 formation to a 4-2-3-1 which is what Slaven Bilic’s side did during the recent 1-1 draw with Italy. The change of formation allowed Luka Modric more space and freedom to push forward and it also meant that danger man Mario Mandzukic could get more freedom by exploiting the right-side of Croatia’s attack.

The 4-2-3-1 formation will also see Everton striker Nikica Jelavic will be the lone-striker, a position that he is used to with Everton. Another tactic within this formation will see Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic drop deep to play alongside holding midfielder Ognjen Vukojevic.

Spain started the tournament by not even having a striker on the pitch against Italy and had Cesc Fabregas pushing further forward. However, that all changed against Ireland, where Fernando Torres got a starting spot ahead of Fabregas in a 4-2-3-1 formation similar to the formation that Croatia may deploy against them. The selection of Torres proved successful with the Chelsea striker scoring twice and proving his critics wrong so he should retain his spot.

Sergio Busquets and Mikel’s more talented brother Xabi Alonso will act as the strongholds in the Spanish side allowing the ever-impressive Iniesta and Silva to push further forward and support Torres.

One to Watch
Croatia-Mario Mandzukic
Spain-Andres Iniesta

Odds:
Croatia: 15/2
Spain: 3/4
Draw: 21/10

Prediction
With both sides needing the win, the game will be a tight one but I can’t see past Spain winning the match. If Fernando Torres can keep up his good form, then Spain certainly look too good to ignore. Croatia are a good side though, with the striking prowess of Jelavic and Mandzukic and the additional talent of Luka Modric they should prove a good test for Spain.

2-1 Spain is my prediction.

Comments

• Options
    Should be an interesting game. Either team could put the other out with a win. Tense, you can't see past Spain, but Croatia have proved that they know where the net is and came back well against Italy in the second half.
  • Options
    Croatia are - as usual - better than I expected. They play with a passion and spirit that I only wish the England team could come close to emulating.
    Spain will win but won't find it easy. Croatia will hassle them, pressurise them and play with skill as well as the above mentioned zeal.
    On the bright side for Spain, at last they have abandoned the multi midfield policy and selected Torres. He is coming into form which for all neutral viewers is great news as on his day, he is the best striker in Europe with the possible exceptions of Rooney and Gomez.

Spain 2 v Croatia 1
  • Options
    Apparently a high scoring draw sees them both through and Italy out, whatever they do against Ireland. That definitely is a fault in the head-to-head system. If they all draw with each other it should be down to their results v Ireland.
  • Options
    Apparently a high scoring draw sees them both through and Italy out, whatever they do against Ireland. That definitely is a fault in the head-to-head system. If they all draw with each other it should be down to their results v Ireland.
    Presumably if (and I realise it's a big if) Italy beat Ireland by 4 goals it won't matter if the other two draw because the Italian goal difference will be better. Head to head won't be a factor because Italy drew with Spain and Croatia.
  • Options
    If Italy beat Ireland 5-0 and Spain and Croatia draw 2-2, Italy would go out. That's because they would all have the same points, they then go to the head to head results. They would all have drawn with each other but Spain and Crotia would have scored 3 goals each to Italy's 2.
  • Options
    If Italy beat Ireland 5-0 and Spain and Croatia draw 2-2, Italy would go out. That's because they would all have the same points, they then go to the head to head results. They would all have drawn with each other but Spain and Crotia would have scored 3 goals each to Italy's 2.
    I didn't know that and agree that it's ridiculous.

I shouldn't be surprised though having bought Italy :-)
  • Options
    If it was anyone other than Spain I'd say the 2-2 would be stitched on, but I think they just like winning so much. Speculation is rife in Italy that there'll be a "biscotto", but reckon it's too risky for Spain or Croatia to play for a high scoring draw. If it was Sweden v Denmark I'd be getting down to William Hill.
  • Options
    Croatia V Spain 0-2 Score ( 7-1 Paddy Power )
    Silva to score anytime ( 5-2 Paddy Power )
    Spain Halftime / Spain Fulltime ( 7-5 Betfair )
  • Options
    Whatever the result I hope it means we play Croatia in the Quarter finals.
  • Options
    Croatia V Spain 0-2 Score ( 7-1 Paddy Power )
    Silva to score anytime ( 5-2 Paddy Power )
    Spain Halftime / Spain Fulltime ( 7-5 Betfair )

Im going for the silva wincast 17/2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it me or does Iniesta look more like he should be working in a bank? Every time I see him it cheers me up that at least one footballer these days hasn't gone down the tattoo and/or hairband route - proper old school looking bloke.
  • Options
    Phew, Ramos took a risk there. Great shout for a pen.
  • Options
    Is it me or does Iniesta look more like he should be working in a bank? Every time I see him it cheers me up that at least one footballer these days hasn't gone down the tattoo and/or hairband route - proper old school looking bloke.
    I can see him decked out in the whole Zara catalogue !
  • Options
    How can they keep letting these flares into the stadium?
    Apparently all supporters have to go through a security check before entering the stadium. The only ones who don’t go through that check is the journalists.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    should of scored.
  • Options
    How can they keep letting these flares into the stadium?
    Apparently all supporters have to go through a security check before entering the stadium. The only ones who don’t go through that check is the journalists.

Even the journalists have to go through the same check. Thats why its bizarre how they get the flares in but journalists have to show there laptops, equipment etc to security
  • Options
    i heard wrong then. its odd how they can get them in.
  • Options
    i heard wrong then. its odd how they can get them in.
    Trust me - you wouldn't want to know how they smuggle them in.

Oh blimey, Spain have scored!
  • Options
    I think Bilic swears in english
  • Options
    That could come in handy at Spurs next year.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah... "F*** you. you W*****!" is what it looked like.
  • Options
    spot on
  • Options
    I can see him decked out in the whole Zara catalogue !
    Surely nothing wrong with that?