Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Waddle

I have to say I am becoming more and more irritated by the miserable meanderings of Chris Waddle trotting out the same old tune about England. We all know that we are not as technically adept as teams like Spain and no we don't keep the ball as well as they do but he talks away in that wierd accent of his (is it Geordie?) like he is informing everyone of something we didn't know already. Fact is most people here accepted that we were probably not going to win the European Championship but hoped we would see some committment and fight from the team and we have got that. OK Sweden are not out the top drawer but England produced a decent performance, indeed some players totally surprised me Andy Carrol being one, and got a result. Even Colin Murray on 5 live on Saturday was forced to defend England from the Hee Haw opinions of Mr CW who just wouldn't give any credit at all.

All this from a man who was a good player but not a great one, made one of the naffest records of all time (he even looked miserable on Top of the Pops surrounded by crumpet) and is now the cheerleader for the negative brigade.
OH and by the way Chris when you preach about youngsters being made to ply with the ball below head height you want to think back to 1990 when you penalty very nearly landed on the England team coach roof!

Comments

• Options
    "Shipe for Shipe"

C.Waddle
    France 98
  • Options

Have to strongly disagree. He gives an opinion and picks up points that the casual watcher may have missed. I don't believe that telling the truth means someone is negative.

Chris Waddle may not of been on the level of Maradona as a player, but he was a great player. If in doubt, see the esteem in which the supporters of Marseille hold him.
  • Options
    have to say I am becoming more and more irritated by the miserable meanderings of Chris Waddle trotting out the same old tune about England

Simple, turn over/turn off. Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Anyone who blazed a penalty as far wide as he did in a vital game for England is in no position to criticise anyone. He left the BBC to work for Channel 5 and ESPN. It seems they've sacked him and he's rejoined all the other great English success stories at Auntie Beeb like Graham Taylor as an all knowing soccer guru .. and while we're here, Alan Green.>>> I want an ENGLISH commentator on ENGLAND games, not a jumped up Ulster Turnip who sounds as though he's chewing on a mouthful of marbles
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well as been said plently of times it's all about opinions. I wouldn't say he was a "great" player another example of hyperbole I am afraid, an over used word. I wouldn't describe him as particularly insightful in any way my 15 year old grandson can see that we don't keep the ball as well as for example Spain but that doesn't mean that other parts of our game are not effective, for instance I couldn't imagine a Spanish player being able to score a goal like the one Andy Carrol scored against Sweden. My point is that he never seems to be pick up on the positives he just drones on repeating the same thing over and over all I am saying is if you are being paid to watch the match talk about what you see, OK mention ball retention but also mention the good bits right at this moment it's like listening to a Gerodie version of the grim reaper.

• Options
    Chris Waddle may be a crap commentator - I have never heard him - but he was a truly great player, I don't think England has produced many better than him in the last 30 years.

Want proof? The Spurs side he played in 1986-87 were inspired by his form and if they'd had a better defence might have won the Title rather than coming third, that was the season Clive Allen scored an amazing 49 goals - many of them from Waddle's creativity at a time when the game was dominated by hoofball.

His best form was at Marseille and I cannot remember an English player dominating a European Cup or Champions League tournament in the way Waddle did that year when he and Papin took them to the final where they were scandalously beaten on penalties by a Red Star Belgrade team that parked the bus for 120 minutes.

Even when he came home to Sheffield Wednesday - a middling side - his form helped them win League Cups and get to FA Cup Finals - when he left the club their descent began.

I think only Gascoigne, Barnes, Scholes and occasionally Beckham could really compare with Waddle at the top level of English players - even if Graham Taylor hardly ever picked him.
  • Options
    Interesting Ormiston Addick. Put aside that the Spurs team also had Hoddle and Ardilles who were better players than Waddle lets look at your last statement as follows:

I think only Gascoigne, Barnes, Scholes and occasionally Beckham could really compare with Waddle at the top level of English players - even if Graham Taylor hardly ever picked him.

So he rates above Bryan Robson, David Platt, Frank Lampard adn a host of other players with more than 20 goals for England. Look at the stats he doesn't even figure in the players who have scored more than 10 goals. As an attacking midfielder/wide man his return was miserable bit like his persona. Sorry he may have had spells of good play but he hardly ever produced it for England....least ways not that I can remember.
  • Options
    Haven't heard him on TV. So can't comment, but don't understand critical comments about him as a player. We've seen some of the best miss penalties recently.

Waddle was a footballing god! A genius, FACT. Could not understand Taylor leaving him out of his England teams. Thierry Henry had him in his all time greats XI and voted 2nd best OM player of the century.
  • Options
    True, I had forgotten Hoddle, he was class and right up there amongst the best we have had since the late 70's.

Robson was a great English box to box midfielder but after Spain in 1982 where he did well he under performed in the big tournaments - mainly through injuries.

Platt? Brilliant at Italia 90 but faded after that to some extent, still scored goals but had to carry the side and in all honesty was really a support striker like Tim Cahill rather than a proper midfielder.

Lampard? Brilliant for Chelsea but mediocre for England on a consistent basis and, like Platt, is not really a conventional midfielder but more of a deep attacker who links play and gets into the box - that is why AVB did not rate him because Lampard struggled as a genuine midfielder.

As for Waddle, go back and watch him in that famous semi final against Germany in 1990, he played in the hole and was outstanding and was in the form of his life after finally being brought off the wing where he was isolated like Barnes was.

The tragedy was that as Waddle destroyed the best in Europe with Marseille that he was frozen out by Taylor in favor of Andy Sinton, John Salako and Stuart Ripley....
  • Options
    Generally think he talks rubbish although I think it was at the last WC when he was commentating on 5 live, the lead commentator (could have been Green) mentioned that Mr Waddle was there commentating on a match and it was his wedding anniversary, he then asked Chris if he bought his wife anything for the day, Chris' response was "I sent her a card and signed it 'Best wishes, Chris Waddle'"

Had me in chuckling for quite a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    True, I had forgotten Hoddle, he was class and right up there amongst the best we have had since the late 70's.

Robson was a great English box to box midfielder but after Spain in 1982 where he did well he under performed in the big tournaments - mainly through injuries.

Platt? Brilliant at Italia 90 but faded after that to some extent, still scored goals but had to carry the side and in all honesty was really a support striker like Tim Cahill rather than a proper midfielder.

Lampard? Brilliant for Chelsea but mediocre for England on a consistent basis and, like Platt, is not really a conventional midfielder but more of a deep attacker who links play and gets into the box - that is why AVB did not rate him because Lampard struggled as a genuine midfielder.

As for Waddle, go back and watch him in that famous semi final against Germany in 1990, he played in the hole and was outstanding and was in the form of his life after finally being brought off the wing where he was isolated like Barnes was.

The tragedy was that as Waddle destroyed the best in Europe with Marseille that he was frozen out by Taylor in favor of Andy Sinton, John Salako and Stuart Ripley....
    Just checked out the Euro squad for '92 under Taylor. Includes Carlton Palmer, Nigel Clough, Keith Curle, Andy Sinton, Tony Dorigo and Tony Daly. The golden age of English football!
  • Options
    be thankful your expert studio summariser isn't Darren Anderton - he's on TSN over here and the physios already been on twice during the break!!
  • Options
    Just seen on BBC he is cracking out amazing comments we all love him for
  • Options
    Interesting Ormiston Addick. Put aside that the Spurs team also had Hoddle and Ardilles who were better players than Waddle lets look at your last statement as follows:

So he rates above Bryan Robson, David Platt, Frank Lampard adn a host of other players with more than 20 goals for England. Look at the stats he doesn't even figure in the players who have scored more than 10 goals. As an attacking midfielder/wide man his return was miserable bit like his persona. Sorry he may have had spells of good play but he hardly ever produced it for England....least ways not that I can remember.
    I can not stand him as a 'colour' commentator. He is woeful, everyone is judged by his diamond accuity in football. If he had a diamond accuity football game, why was he a fooking farce at Burnley? They were a biggish tier three team, and he wasted his money on Lee Howey and they barely survived. Grubby old school Stan Ternent made a mockery of his insight. Pre-disposed to bang on about Walcott, the fact is Walcott over the last season and a half has been crucial to Arsenal with making goals and working bloody hard to cover average/young fb's behind him. Whilst Stan Collymore and Jan Molby moan at times, they also attempt to explain and audibly show their excitement about certain teams/players. I never hear Waddle excited, let alone analyse his criticism.

Having said this Waddle was a great. If Marseille hadn't have had been boxed out by an enormously tallented young Red Star Belgrade team in a terrible final, he would have been European player of the year. Unlike Owen it would not have been for a second rate team in second rate competitions. As it was I think he was second that year in the European player of the year awards. I was in France that year, and Waddle was simply outstanding at a time when French teams were at least on a par with the best of British. Waddle translated his skills better than Barnes in his dying career at Bradford, whilst Barnes just erm Waddled; we all saw that. As a creative player he was England's best in my life, maybe behind Gazza for the national side but Gazza never threatened to perform when he had his big move due to his suspect temprement. Barnes may have done better in the great Liverpool team in Europe, but he never got anywhere near him for England.
  • Options
    be thankful your expert studio summariser isn't Darren Anderton - he's on TSN over here and the physios already been on twice during the break!!
    Just saw game on TSN and Anderton is woeful, that said he's not missed a game yet...........

• Options
    Just one correction Waddle came to Wednesday after our League cup triumph, but that said we was one of the best ever players to play for us and he still lives and played Sunday league in Sheffield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pua-fvGbTkc
  • Options

Just checked out the Euro squad for '92 under Taylor. Includes Carlton Palmer, Nigel Clough, Keith Curle, Andy Sinton, Tony Dorigo and Tony Daly. The golden age of English football!
    Tony Daly!!!! Fecking hell, I had forgotten all about him, he was one of Taylor's favorites from his Villa days.

I can only imagine how Waddle must have felt seeing that headless chicken picked in front of him.
  • Options
    Waddle sounds good to me. We have Brian little as the expert summariser on commentary and then Dennis Wise in the studio. Scraping the barrel somewhat I think you will agree.
  • Options
    He's ok...least he seems happy when we do win unlike Mr A.Green who likes nothing better than a good old moan!
  • Options
    Chris Waddle is only making the point that if we want to be more comfortable on the ball, we have to fundamentally change how we coach our kids. I agree with this view. Of course this doesn't mean we can't do well in tournaments with the run of the ball going our way - just that we need to rely on other qualities to overcome this handicap. As we don't seem to have cracked this yet, he is perfectly justified in repeating the point IMO.

As was pointed out in the post match TV analysis - we would have had a 20% chance of beating Spain. I don't think may of us would disagree with that, but it is quite a negative about how we stack up against the very best, however well we do in this competition - and it is not impossible we could win it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's ok...least he seems happy when we do win unlike Mr A.Green who likes nothing better than a good old moan!
    Did you hear the caller on 606 last night who slagged off Green for being negative towards England? Green went mental and then the fella said that the people who man the phones had told him to come on and have a go at Greenie.
    Greenie cut him off. Hilarious!
  • Options
    Did you hear the caller on 606 last night who slagged off Green for being negative towards England? Green went mental and then the fella said that the people who man the phones had told him to come on and have a go at Greenie.
    Greenie cut him off. Hilarious!
    There was somebody cut off for calling him an Irishman!

Ok might be personal abuse for some but he gives a fair bit out as well himself considering the man works for the BBC...

• Options
    OK Submit he was a better player than I can seriously recall but he is still a one dimensional pundit with nothing interesting to say.