Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greece votes for austerity & to stay in Euro

All sorted then. No more Euro concerns :-)

Comments

• Options
    apart from england v ukraine tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Greece is now in for a very rough ride. Was talking with a Greek doctor last week and she said her father was a paediatrician in Athens. One qualified nurse to look after ward of fifty kids. Insane. Can see a lot of trouble over the coming months and years.
  • Options
    Greece is now in for a very rough ride. Was talking with a Greek doctor last week and she said her father was a paediatrician in Athens. One qualified nurse to look after ward of fifty kids. Insane. Can see a lot of trouble over the coming months and years.
    Very much agree, plus they are running out of medicines including cancer drugs for kids and staff are not getting paid. Some young families have no-one in employment and their only income comes from the grandparents pensions of 100 euros a month and they are relying on food parcels from charities. I just find it unbelievably obscene. It's not some war torn god forsaken desert, it's on our doorstep.
  • Options
    Dont know if it is a myth, but remember reading a year or two ago about tax evasion in greece and they said the average doctors declaration of income was 18k per annum.
  • Options
    Very much agree, plus they are running out of medicines including cancer drugs for kids and staff are not getting paid. Some young families have no-one in employment and their only income comes from the grandparents pensions of 100 euros a month and they are relying on food parcels from charities. I just find it unbelievably obscene. It's not some war torn god forsaken desert, it's on our doorstep.
    Political hubris (ie the Euro must be saved whatever the cost with all countries bound and gagged to it) will always trump the interests of ordinary people.

There are countless examples throughout history not just the desire for a superstate called EU.
  • Options
    Heard somewhere that there was tax evasion there on a grand scale. People pretty much saying themselves how much tax they wanted to pay, if at all. Absolute mess
  • Options
    The Greeks in many respects have dug a very big hole for themselves by having a system that had been lax in collecting tax from many groups. Not every worker in Greece can be included though. Local authority and public employees have been under a PAYE system for years and it is this group that feel most aggrieved by what is happening to their pay and jobs and who can blame them. Troubled times ahead for Greece for many years. Will tourists feel comfortable rocking up in Zante with a wad to spend when the average Greek worker if he is lucky enough to have a job will be struggling beyond our imagination. Hopefully the tourist trade will not be hit too hard because god knows they need that income.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    With the EU are these patients not allows to cross the border and check into a hospital in a neighbouring state? I'm thinking Germany.

The issue with Greece, like many other countries, is that the public sector is way too large, and the pensions that they have are just too high.

When those that have retired are being paid more than most of their European neighbours (including Germany) they are always going to struggle to balance their books. I believe they also retire younger than the rest of Europe too.
  • Options
    Whilst many wanted to see Greece punished for their ridiculous and inadequate taxation system , I think it's gone beyond that now. This will soon turn into a catastrophe and some of the blame will lie at the other eurozone (looking at you Germany) members door. Hopefully no matter what government takes control in Greece they bring stability and productivity of some sort.

I would imagine if Britain had a similarly ineffective tax system many would be taking advantage of it (indeed many already do utilise any loophole they can) so I don't think we should rush to judge the man on the street in Greece who now faces the real prospect of destitution.