Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday 19.45 - Ireland V Italy - Preview/match thread

19.45 – Ireland v Italy
TV – BBC 1 or BBC 3

FIFA Rankings
Ireland: 16 Italy: 12

As Damien Duff leads the green army out as captain to celebrate his 100th appearance for Ireland, he will no doubt wish it was in better circumstances.
Ireland having lost their opening two group game matches conceding a total of 7 goals have now no possibility of going through to the knockout stages of the tournament. So this game against Italy is purely for pride and the Irish have a fair bit of that.
The Italians unlike the Irish have a real chance of going through to the quarter finals, however it’s not entirely in their hands. They will be hoping for a wining result for either Spain or Croatia to have a chance of going through. A draw in that game will knock out the Italians no matter what the score is against the Irish. This has led to conspiracy theorists clamouring foul play before even a ball has been kicked. Suggesting that Spain and Italy might have a pact going on already, the Italian fans have described this as a "biscotto", or biscuit in English…. which comes from the old practice of doping a horse with a biscuit or piece of cake before a race….Strange lot these Italians.
Italy must win if they are to have any hope for maintaining their challenge. They will be playing for the win and praying for the right result in the other group game match.

Tactics and team news
Trapatoni, though against his homeland will put out his strongest team, he has already made clear that changes will be few, as he does not want to be seen helping his home country. With a 4-4-2 formation, the Irish will hope that the wide men Duff and Aiden McGeady will have more success in feeding the forwards than they had against Spain and Croatia respectively. They will be hoping that the success of their solid dogged performances in their qualifying campaign will return, so far it has eluded them.
Despite a pretty average tournament to say the least, Given will no doubt be between the sticks for the Irish. The rest of the back four and midfield shall remain the same with the only change made up front with Doyle replacing cox.

Mario ‘I wish I was as cool as Kermorgant’ Balatelli is a doubt for the Azzuri after picking up a knee injury, Udinese forward Antonio Di Natale is waiting in line to replace the City forward. Boss Cesare Prandelli will be pilling on the pressure to his Italian counterpart in the Irish dugout, looking for Italy’s first win in these tournaments. Using a 3-5-2 formation with pirlo and motta being the main playmakers, the Italians will be hoping to find the same vulnerabilities that both Croatia and Spain found in the last week.

Ones to Watch
Ireland- Aiden McGeady
Italy- would be great to see Alessandro Diamanti. However doubt if he will play so its got to be Pirlo.

Odds:
Ireland: 8/1
Italy: 4/9
Draw: 4/1

Prediction
If Ireland can rally together and put on a performance that all those travelling (not a pun) supporters deserve to see then it should make for a very entertaining game. In a group full of class Ireland were always going to struggle, and tonight will be no different. However with the Italians needing a win no matter what the first half will be cagey with the Italian dominance followed by a goal. The second half will become more open with Italy wanting to make sure of the victory. As its gets more tense for the Italians they make mistakes giving the ball away up front for Ireland to punt forward to a Robbie Keane ready and waiting to slot home the equaliser. For the Italians it wouldn’t matter because Croatia has been passing it along the back four for the last 15miniutes since their game went to 2-2.
I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

1-1.

Comments

• Options
    Italy V Ireland 3-1 score ( 12-1 Betvictor )
    Both teams to score ( 11-10 Betfair )
    Over 2.5 goals ( 5-6 Betfair )
  • Options
    Nice one kmb.

See a formality here. Ireland just aren't at this level.
  • Options
    The battle of the Green tricolours: Italy for me but the Irish will go down fighting .. Italy 2 v Ireland 0
  • Options
    Great tackle by Doyle
  • Options
    Thanks for an excellent preview.

Re:Aiden McGeady,I have to admit I knew nothing about the bloke before the tournament but all through the build up he was touted as their key player. Maybe I was expecting too much, but he's looked like a poor player in a poor team to me and can't see what he offers over James Maclean.
  • Options
    Ireland hold out for 35, but concede from a corner

Italy now top of the group
  • Options
    Good to see the bloke behind the line have something to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Cheers Bournemouth and AFKA for compliments.

with the question 'one to watch for Ireland', i didn’t really know who to put. after watching the previous two games no one in the Irish side could be happy with their performance. McGeady I’ve seen for celtic not so much for moscow and he is a player who i always thought might make something happen and as he hasn't already he might just do it today. so far... nothing.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Given must feel terrible. Scored from a silly corner he conceded to top off his tournament.
  • Options
    Ireland deserve a draw from this, haven't been too impressed by Italy and would certainly not be upset if England got them in the quarters.

Mick McCarthy is an excellent co-commentator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    keith andrews sent off 2-0
  • Options
    bbc showed the spain goal and missing keith andrews being sent off. all gone wrong now.... balotelli scored
  • Options
    bbc showed the spain goal and missing keith andrews being sent off. all gone wrong now.... balotelli scored
    What was going on with Balotelli? Was he shouting at the bench and his team mate seeemed to be trying to shut him up (no change there I suppose)?
  • Options
    i thought he was celebrating by eating his team mates hand!!!

can't watch any summing up of either game. shearer or pardew *shudder*
  • Options
    Look at the size of steve ( jabba the hut ) staunton.....
  • Options
    if only deno was playing, things could of been so different..
  • Options
    shame
  • Options
    Loved the way the Italians were celebrating at the end once the other game had finished. " Woo, we qualified from a group with Croatia and ROI". Would have thought that would be the minimum expectation for them.
    The way they were jumping around and hugging anyone and everyone, you'd have thought they'd won the competition.

Apart from no trophy being present, the big give away for me that they hadn't won it was because there was no sign of John Terry
  • Options
    What was going on with Balotelli? Was he shouting at the bench and his team mate seeemed to be trying to shut him up (no change there I suppose)?
    I'm sure that underneath all the posturing and preening, Balotelli is a lovely lad .. however, his chosen role as the curmudgeonly Mr T is becoming rather tiresome.
    Italy as usual have come good just in time for a major tournament. They, like the Germans, always produce a team which is greater than the sum of its parts. England, whether Spain or the Italaly is drawn in the quarter finals, is in for a difficult time. I hope that at the very least England make a good fist of it and a win would be superb for everyone 'back home'.