Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An Addicks Archaeology - 1971 Golden Jubilee

Part one of an (very) occasional series featuring items from an imaginary Charlton Athletic Museum.

It's not just Queens who have jubilees as these artefacts from the Club's Golden Jubilee in 1971 show. This marked 50 years of Charlton as a League Club.

As well as the producing two handbooks (eat your heart out Matt Wright) the season kicked off with a special Golden Jubilee programme.

The Club also produced two high quality enamel badges. The red with yellow outer is fairly common and is seen occasionally on ebay but the black and red version is very rare and collectable.

The Club also produced special handbooks in 1955 and 1980 to mark 50 and 75 years as a Club. Our League centenary is now only 9 years away. imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    £5 item 2.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I know it's our history but I always get a bit uneasy when I see "The Valiants" mentioned.
    I never took to that name and I only ever called us The Addicks...still, I realise it's our history and so can't be ignored.
  • Options
    item 4
    £5.00

• Options
    very funny guys : - )

These are all part of my personal collection and I ain't selling them.

Anyone else with other stuff feel free to start a new Addicks Archaeology thread. Would be interesting to see what else is out there.

With you on Addicks v Valiants despite my age. My dad always called them the Addicks and that's what they will always be to me.
  • Options
    You drive a hard bargain Henners!

£5.50 item 2
  • Options
    You drive a hard bargain Henners!

£5.50 item 2

Even in that condition old handbooks go for at least £12.

Good 50s one's are in the £20 - £30 range.

But if you have any pre-war handbooks they are worthless and not worth keeping. Let me know where you live and I'll drive round now and take them off you hands as a favour!
  • Options
    Got A, B & C.
    Not got D.

Damn You Irving !!!
  • Options
    Need bit of wedge, open to offers....
  • Options
    whats the history does anyone know of Valiants v Addicks? i remember doing a tour of the old wembley around 1980 and purchasing a valiants supporters room sign for my bedroom door.
  • Options
    A couple of pieces found in the old valley boardroom
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those old contracts and documents are fantastic. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    I've got a couple of team sheets, one signed by Seed, the other by Trotter. We're having work done indoors at the moment and they're in a box somewhere.

This was also "found" at the old valley
  • Options
    Bloody hell. All I got out of the old Valley dressing room was a clothes hook.
  • Options
    Found them. Not the greatest photos though.

• Options
    Bet Henry would like to get his hands on them.
  • Options
    Bet Henry would like to get his hands on them.
    Ooh err missus
  • Options
    You're right he would!

But good that they are still in safe hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I've got a couple of team sheets, one signed by Seed, the other by Trotter. We're having work done indoors at the moment and they're in a box somewhere.

This was also "found" at the old valley

@DaveMehmet

I see your painted sword and raise it with this brass one, now in the museum.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you'll find the two handbooks were issued in different seasons, Henry - the jubilee was celebrated in 1971/72. The other one is from 12 months earlier.
  • Options
    It's my Golden Anniversary as an Addick this month.  First game was at home to Orient (as they were called back then). 2-0, both goals scored by Keith Peacock. I don't remember much about it other than being bored and asking to go home.