Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell Sets Transfer Deadline

WSSWSS
edited June 2012 in General Charlton
From the SLP.

But Powell said: “I’m confident things will start to pick up. I’ve been away and people want to switch off and have a break.
“I want our new players with us by Welling [July 9] or by the time we go out to Spain.

“By this time last year we’d only signed three players - in the end it was 17 or 18.

“I do want to enhance our squad but it is a little different now because we’re talking to players and agents that have a different mindset and outlook.

“They see us as a good proposition but those players have more options whereas last year the ones we targetted were excited about coming to a club that were looking to do something major, which of course we did.

“We want to continue our growth and move forward but we’re now talking to players and agents who have a different financial outlook to what we experienced last year.

“We knew that would come with the territory - and we wanted that to happen - but we’ve got to make sure sure the club is ok financially and not being put in a bad position.”

Comments

• Options
    Certainly reads to me that at least nothing is in the bag already.
  • Options
    Bit like when he said we have a similar budget to Rochdale!
  • Options
    we will sign someone today now.
  • Options
    As far as possible we want players who want to play for the club or at least are professional and ambitious enough to play with passion and commitment .. no old geezers looking for a big payday, youngsters whose ambitions exceed their talent or players looking to use CAFC as a stepping stone to 'bigger things'. I'd sooner Powell kept his money in his pocket rather than give in to mob hysteria from certain fans and indulge in unnecessary and unsuitable panic buying.
  • Options
    Don't we play Welling on the 14th?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    As far as possible we want players who want to play for the club or at least are professional and ambitious enough to play with passion and commitment .. no old geezers looking for a big payday, youngsters whose ambitions exceed their talent or players looking to use CAFC as a stepping stone to 'bigger things'. I'd sooner Powell kept his money in his pocket rather than give in to mob hysteria from certain fans and indulge in unnecessary and unsuitable panic buying.
    Agree with most of this Lincs but I differ in that I think that any young player worth his salt would see moving to Charlton as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Don't want players who join us to not think that the next move they make will not be upwards. Those are the players that exactly I want to see giving their all in our shirt.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Agree with most of this Lincs but I differ in that I think that any young player worth his salt would see moving to Charlton as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Don't want players who join us to not think that the next move they make will not be upwards. Those are the players that exactly I want to see giving their all in our shirt.

agreed SHG .. I did not make my point very well .. a mere stepping stone towards a 'bigger and better club' was what I intended to say (I am presuming that there actually ARE better and bigger clubs than CAFC !!) .. of course any youngster moving to CAFC should regard this as a definite move upwards and a metaphorical feather in his career 'cap'
  • Options

Agreed, those players seeing us as a stepping stone may well bring talent that would otherwise not come and provide some transfer profit.
  • Options
    Danny Mills was only with us for just over a year, helped get us promotion, then left for a large fee. Surely in such a situation, everyone wins?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    You certainly need a cool , calm head in the transfer market, or risk paying over the odds for some old duffers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sounds like he's done bugger all. swaning about on some remote island sitting in the sun.

you better get started powell. we've already missed out on Gavin Tomlin!
  • Options
    If everything is right expect these signing before welling

Baldock
    Wordsworth
    Okongouehen
    Aluko
    Andrews
    Saha
    Hoyte

Anyone one else I've missed out please don't hesitate to say
  • Options
    Very amusing jay!
  • Options

Baldock
    Wordsworth
    Okongouehen
    Aluko
    Andrews
    Saha
    Hoyte

add Messi, Ronaldo and Sweinsteiger to that list

• Options

Baldock
    Wordsworth
    Okongouehen
    Aluko
    Andrews
    Saha
    Hoyte

Mayor (PNE)
  • Options
    Lambert (SOT)
  • Options
    Saha is keen on a move to Sunderland.
  • Options

Baldock
    Wordsworth
    Okongouehen
    Aluko
    Andrews
    Saha
    Hoyte

It's the "If everything is right" bit that needs clarifying here.