Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The lure of playing for Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    As if anyone reckons any players coming in give an actual toss about the 'history' of the club
    Curbs tells how showing the video of where the club had come from helped persuade a certain Swindon Town manager to join us as a player. Di Canio is a law unto him self but history and future direction can influrence,

A coiuple of our current squad, and I cannot remember who, turned down bigger offers to join us.

I think the history is probably more of a factor with the older players (eg - Di Canio) who don't really have to play so much for the money anymore.

I would still say money + London is the main influence, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most players at our level (League One/Championship) have mortgages, rent, bills, family which they have to pay a much closer eye to than those in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Pie and a Pint for a Fiver! (See Andy Reid)
  • Options
    footballers are humans, if you or I were offered double to do the same job some where else, i imagine 90% of the people on here would leave
    True but in many cases the differential between what we and other clubs offer will be much smaller if not the same.

Would you move to the other end of the country for a 20% increase? How about 10%? For a one year deal? Or would two years be enough? And your wife is expecting too.
  • Options
    footballers are humans, if you or I were offered double to do the same job some where else, i imagine 90% of the people on here would leave
    True but in many cases the differential between what we and other clubs offer will be much smaller if not the same.

Would you move to the other end of the country for a 20% increase? How about 10%? For a one year deal? Or would two years be enough? And your wife is expecting too.
    You say that, but I would suspect we could easily double the wages of most of the clubs in League One and possibly some of those in low end of the Championship considering how many have been stricken with financial woes recently. A lot of that money comes from attendance revenue afterall.
  • Options
    I think at the end of the day it's a self-selection: the players you end up attracting are the ones who appreciate the Charlton values - and they're the ones you're looking for in the first place.
  • Options
    playing for the League One Champions, ambitious club on the rise, young manager in London. Surely better than Blackburn, Brimingham, Boro etc etc
  • Options

You say that, but I would suspect we could easily double the wages of most of the clubs in League One and possibly some of those in low end of the Championship considering how many have been stricken with financial woes recently. A lot of that money comes from attendance revenue afterall.
    But other Champ clubs can also double their wages. So we and say Hull and Cardiff are offering 2k pw. Double their old wages but which to choose?

At the moment the players and agents are all waiting to see what offers and on the table. Come early July and pre-season training they will feel more presure to get a deal sorted.
  • Options
    I would guess word has got out that Chris Powell is a great gaffer to work with, providing you play your part.

And it's like any job, you want to be happy where you work.

There's a buzz about the place and when SCP interviews a prospective signing,
    there's going to be players out there who'll think, "Yeah, I wanna be part of this".

That's exactly what happened last season.

• Options
    Agree Oggy but they mostly also did alright moneywise too
  • Options
    No doubt, Henry.

But Powelly doesn't want the mercenaries who just go through the motions and collect their wages.

Curbs always used to do his character/personality checks before approaching the player, to ensure the right calibre of person that he was offering terms to.

Powell is "Son of Curbs", so he'll also do his homework first.
    Decent wages will only be part of the equation.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're right Oggmiester but it is a balance.
  • Options
    Did we not agree on another thread that outside of Charlton, Chris Powell is not held in an elevated status. He won the 3rd division, nothing more, no cup run, nothing previously.

The attraction for most employees is money, status and future opportunity for progression - not sure how well we can compete on any of those really.

• Options
    Did we not agree on another thread that outside of Charlton, Chris Powell is not held in an elevated status. He won the 3rd division, nothing more, no cup run, nothing previously.

The attraction for most employees is money, status and future opportunity for progression - not sure how well we can compete on any of those really.

Good points well made but I don't think I can agree. Chris Powell was held in high esteem in footballing circles even before he became Charlton manager due to his work for the PFA and Kick Racism Out. Ask Sven how he rates Chris as a person and coach. Ask Leicester fans what they think of him. Powell is I think one of those characters that you cannot help but be impressed by. Winning the League one title in his first full season would not have gone unoticed and make no mistake he is on a few chairmens radar. Players know what's what and as previously posted the players network would very much know that SCP is a good man to work for and that Charlton are a decent club with a good set up and ambition. Add to that the London factor and I believe it does give us an edge over a lot of clubs that on the face of it might seem more attractive.

• Options
    Hmmmm why would a player want to play for Charlton Athletic FC?

Er, could it be cos they're the best club in the world?
  • Options
    Of course it's the money.

Last year Wiggins, Green, Hollands and probably even Ben Hamer signed for money rather than noisy fans.

We have and offer more than people think in my opinion. Even if it's incentivised heavily with regards to win bonuses etc, a la Curbishley.
  • Options
    Green was approached by sheff we'd & peterbrough who would have both paid more wages, he chose charlton . It's not all about money. Crawley pay more wages than a lot of L1 teams . Wss unless you know this for a fact ? .
  • Options
    Nope, completely guessing.

We'll never know but I just get the feeling we were offering more attractive packages than we think. Whether it's wages, promotion bonuses etc.
  • Options
    Chris Powell may be appreciated for his work of the pitch, PFA etc etc. But then again that's the sort of thing that Charlton fans will take notice of because he is one of ours.

Do you really think most 20-21 will think of Chris Powell and instantly start evaluating all the amazing things he has done? Not really. They know he's a Charlton boy, a young manager and that's probably all they visualise. The same way that football supporters of top Prem clubs don't really care much for football at our level.
  • Options
    Chris Powell may be appreciated for his work of the pitch, PFA etc etc. But then again that's the sort of thing that Charlton fans will take notice of because he is one of ours.

Do you really think most 20-21 will think of Chris Powell and instantly start evaluating all the amazing things he has done? Not really. They know he's a Charlton boy, a young manager and that's probably all they visualise. The same way that football supporters of top Prem clubs don't really care much for football at our level.
    I give you Eddie Howe. Did some good things low down the league with Bournemouth and was soon picked up by a bigger club that had been like others tracking his progress. Players aged 21 might not be completely clued in on chris and his exploits but agents and other advisers will.

• Options
    Nope, completely guessing.

We'll never know but I just get the feeling we were offering more attractive packages than we think. Whether it's wages, promotion bonuses etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wiggins because he can learn from a charlton left back legend . Green because he was a youth team player who shouldnt have been released , had something to prove . Also dagenham were relegated . Hamer for first team football in a good team first choice keeper . Hollands for the money ? These players are possibly the least paid players at the club .
  • Options
    Least paid players at the club? They signed 3 year contracts and were expected to be first team regulars. No doubt part of the reason they came here was because we made them a good offer.
  • Options
    Hollands because his wife, whose family live in SW London, was expecting triplets.

And the money.
  • Options
    To take a leaf out of Oohas book.

90% Money
    5%. Location
    5% anything else
    Does the "the club has an effective tax avoidance sceme in place" come under money? Or wrong thread? Bit tongue in cheek but couldnt resist!

• Options
    Players from other clubs know each other and no doubt sing the praises of their manager if they like them or rate them. I would have thought Sir Chris has a very high stock within the players community based on some of the statements from players about him I have heard.
  • Options
    To follow up on what ShootersHillGura has stated previously. I have had the opportunity to speak with players at the Kit Sponsor's Dinner in years past, I would say that the manager, whomever it may be, is the one if not the main reason why players choose to sign with us. The football world is a small fraternity and a coach's reputation and style of play is important. I feel Chris Powell's signings last year indicate the level respect he has within the game as both a player and coach. We tend to forget that he was both an International and has achieved promotion(s), something that most players aspire to.
  • Options
    To follow up on what ShootersHillGura has stated previously. I have had the opportunity to speak with players at the Kit Sponsor's Dinner in years past, I would say that the manager, whomever it may be, is the one if not the main reason why players choose to sign with us. The football world is a small fraternity and a coach's reputation and style of play is important. I feel Chris Powell's signings last year indicate the level respect he has within the game as both a player and coach. We tend to forget that he was both an International and has achieved promotion(s), something that most players aspire to.
    and was a major part of the PFA for a long time
  • Options
    Constructive criticism from down to earth fans.
  • Options
    Wiggins signed pretty much soley due to Powell. He was in Watford's carpark literally about to sign when his agent received a call from Chris Powell. The agent wasn't going to let Wiggy speak to Powell but once he heard who it was on the phone he demanded to speak to him; he came straight down to the training ground and the agent was fuming - all this was going on whilst the Watford Chairman was on the phone to Varney saying forget about wiggins. The rest is history!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I can't think of anything either sensible or funny to say.

That doesn't usually stop me so here goes:

Woolwich Free Ferry, Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels.

How may exciting free ways to get across the river Thames en route for the Valley do you need? What footballer worth their salt wouldn't feel their heart beat a little faster at the thought of being able to choose to live in either North OR South London and WALKING under the Thames on the way to the match, boots slung over their shoulder, not a care in the world?

And some money as well.