Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan McDonald - Passed away at 48

2»

Comments

• Options
    Has there been a better loan signing?

RIP Alan
    Alan Kernahan was a similar quality loan signing in 91, but that title probably belongs to Costa.

• Options
    He was brilliant for us during that short spell.A cut above everyone else and the reason we were not relegated.

RIP Alan.
  • Options
    RIP sir, my condolences to his family and friends
  • Options
    I remember it being mentioned throughout the years that he had played for us but didn't know when that was,I obviously didn't study our team as much then
    Just remember him being a very good upright defender for QPR
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP big man
  • Options
    I'm shocked by this news. Some Charlton fans may know that I spent a year at Swindon Town in the 1998/99 season as Joint CEO before returing to Charlton and Alan was a player/coach during my time there. He was a great guy and I remember having long chats with him about the game in general and the club during my year at the County Ground. He always spoke fondly of his time at Charlton too. Alan was always happy to help me and my colleagues on commercial matters at the Club - we launched a popular matchday service to our Executive Club together whereby Alan would come up before kick-off and tell the supporters the team news - and it is so sad to hear that he has passed away at such a young age.

Sad day
    Well said Steve. Hope you're well mate
  • Options
    Shocking news. Remember his brief spell fondly....he was too good for us....however his tremendous efforts helped keep us up.

R.I.P. Alan.
  • Options
    RIP Alan. Quality defender
  • Options
    Very sad news. I don't remember him playing for us, a bit before my time of following the team closely, but as someone has already mentioned, I do remember that interview after the england v northern ireland world cup qualifier in the 80s with the 'it's not a fix' and 'we worked bloody hard' comments.
    A good defender for QPR. RIP.
  • Options
    Was a class above what we had at the time. RIP Alan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    terrible news superb for us R I P BIG MAN
  • Options
    Bolloxbolder is right. Without Alan McDonald in 1982/83 we were doomed. He came into the team as a complete novice in terms of 1st XI football and immediately looked the part. He later made the step up to 1st Division with QPR with ease and never looked out of place in international football. Possibly our most important loan signing ever? Without him, I'm sure we would have been relegated and given that we went bust the following season and struggled to find a new buyer, I wonder whether new buyers would have ever stepped in to save a 3rd Division club.
  • Options
    Very sad. He was a very effective centre half in the few games he played and definitely shored up a leaky defence.

As others have suggested a worthy candidate in a poll for "best ever loan player."

RIP
  • Options
    THERE FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO WE ALL !

thast such a terrible shame ...he showed great character as a player ,the sort of man youd want in your team ,i am certain he played in our last game of the season victory against bolton ,sending them down and keeping us up
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    RIP Alan.