Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bowie

2»

Comments

• Options
    Didn't come over for the Olympics and let himself down. Had to listen to bloody Mcartney !!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I'm a massive fan.

Quite a revelation.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I'm a MASSIVE fan.

so now we know.

• Options
    Wins Best British Male Perfomer at 2014 Brit Awards.

Speaking as a massive Bowie fan I think this is ridiculous and a real kick in the teeth to the young talent in this country. It was obviously a desperate attempt by the people who run this farce to get the great man to turn up. He didn't.
  • Options
    To be fair to the Brits, the quality on the Male Performer nominee list is terrible. Bowie probably the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Brilliant nomination and win ...he ain't gonna turn up Rivvy as he is not well enough
  • Options
    I don't think he has any major health issues and has not for some years.
  • Options
    I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong but the fact he didn't follow up last years album with any gigs tells a different story
  • Options
    Maybe he simply can't be arsed. He has millions of pounds in the bank, he has a relatively young family for someone approaching 70. he is an artist and can record his work at the drop of a hat, and it will be out there on all forms of modern social media within hours. Why on earth would he feel the need to physically travel the world to promote his work?

I've seen him live three times and was disappointed in 67% of those. I think I saw him at his professional, if not artistic peak, and I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I agree. I love Bowie, but in terms of music it's his 70's stuff that I and probably everyone else loves.

Jake Bugg should have won by a country mile imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's like the PFA voting for Ryan Giggs this year just because it is his last season.
  • Options

I agree. I love Bowie, but in terms of music it's his 70's stuff that I and probably everyone else loves.

Jake Bugg should have won by a country mile imo.

Jake Bugg? Urgh. Dreadful.

Do think it was a bit of lip service, but he did kinda deserve it on merit too.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Best British Male Performer 2014 ? Leave off. What did he do this year, that was better than Bugg, Odell ?

If he's the best this year because he's a legend, then he should win it every year, on that basis.

Oh and as best performer, what performances were they ?

Oh yes there weren't any.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Maybe he simply can't be arsed. He has millions of pounds in the bank, he has a relatively young family for someone approaching 70. he is an artist and can record his work at the drop of a hat, and it will be out there on all forms of modern social media within hours. Why on earth would he feel the need to physically travel the world to promote his work?

I've seen him live three times and was disappointed in 67% of those. I think I saw him at his professional, if not artistic peak, and I'm happy with that.

Don't see it ...he's always loved being on-stage and the centre of attention ...adulation is not something you give up easily ...and he doesn't need to travel the world, all that's needed is two gigs, one at O2 / wembley and one at Madison square gardens but even a 'mini-tour' hasn't materialised.

In any event, bottom line you are probably right, having seen him at his peak is worth far more than a less-than-perfect gig if he went on the road again.
  • Options
    The BRITS is a farce:

Best International Female.........Lorde beats Katy Perry !

It's just a 3 hour advert by record companies.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Best British Male Performer 2014 ? Leave off. What did he do this year, that was better than Bugg, O'Dell ?

If he's the best this year because he's a legend, then he should win it every year, on that basis.

Oh and as best performer, what performances were they ?

Oh yes there weren't any.

UK Number 1 + critically loved album, does Bugg or Odell have one of those?

Bugg didn't have the sales, and wasn't that well rated. Odell had good sales but terrible reviews.
  • Options
    I've got The Next Day, but don't rate it tbh & I'm a Bowie fan.

It got to number 1 because it was his first album for a while, not because it was a great album.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree.
  • Options
    Haha Tom Odell. I don't read the NME these days but I believe the album got 0/10.
  • Options
    The award was for Best British Male Artist you can argue that any of them deserved to win but I don't think you can argue that he shouldn't have won because he hasn't performed. You can probably guess by my name that I am a Bowie fan so I am obviously delighted he won, he was never going to turn up considering he hasn't done any promotional stuff for The Next Day just let the music speak for itself.
  • Options
    Look, a lot of the modern music media were all over Bowie simply because their predecessors loved him and they felt obliged to touch their forelock.
    As fellow true Bowie fan Covered End said, The Next Day wasn't all that.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I disagree on The Next Day I love it. The media were all over him when the album came out but I think he deserved to win, as SELR said UK No 1 single and album. It wasn't the strongest category this year but that's not his fault.
  • Options
    I love Lets Dance and I payed Tonight to death and to a certain extent (ashamedly) Never Let Me Down too, but any real Bowie fan knows that his last great album was Scary Monsters.
  • Options
    I think any real Bowie fan can make their own mind up :)