Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Andrews to sign for Bolton

Comments

• Options
    I'm not too worried. I'm sure we are doing what we need to do. I'm also totally convinced that players over 30 that are chasing big money are not what we are all about now, and nor should they be.

No disrespect, but both Murphy and Andrews (and I'll bet a few others that will not sign for us) will have living standards and realistic wage expectations that we just can't afford if we don't want to gamble everything on winning promotion - that didn't work out too well for us last time.

Both Blackburn and Bolton are in real trouble if they spend more than a couple of seasons in this division. They might just as well offer unsustainable wages to players with no sell on value as if they don't get back in the Premier League they will probably be in administration. So, in effect, they are gambling with someone else's money.

We need to be signing players that fit into a wage structure based on a permanent stint in this division. I'm sure that the current management team and scouting network will find the players we need, and they will be affordable and successful.

I am confident that we will make a decent attempt for the top six this season but not by buying expensive players, by developing what we have and adding a few players to add a little bit of quality. No one really knows how well our players will perform in the Championship as few of them have played there before. We might not need much.
  • Options
    The sky is falling...

(why won't anyone listen to me?)
    Who said that?

• Options
    why would someone from Northampton turn down us in favour of Derby....assume we are offer the same money and it's a straight choice!

1) no need to move house I suspect
    2) playing for an established champ side
    3) bigger stadium and much bigger crowds
  • Options
    Who said we were actually trying to sign him anyway?

Apart from FR of course!
  • Options
    I would rather have seen at least one signing by now BUT in my opinion the important thing is that the majority (not all) of new signings are on board by the trip to Spain as I feel that is crucial to intigrating them into the squad as last year showed. If we have not signed anyone by that time then I would be worried. As said we are now a big fish in a pond with a lot of other big fish and competition for signings will be fierce. However, trust in CP, he knows what he is doing. So far we may have lost out on a maybe good, maybe crap Eire international and an untested above League Two level kid from Northampton. Bothered? Not me.
  • Options
    Who said we were actually trying to sign him anyway?

Apart from FR of course!
    Exactly!!!

• Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    I know we haven't signed anyone yet , but surely we're in a happier place compared to this time last year?
  • Options
    I know we haven't signed anyone yet , but surely we're in a happier place compared to this time last year?
    why, were you in Tesco's last year then ???????????
  • Options
    ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some people think we can sign who we like and can't consider for a minute that we are actually being rejected by players.
  • Options
    some people think we can sign who we like and can't consider for a minute that we are actually being rejected by players.
    Who says we are being rejected Mike....it's all rumours as far as I'm concerned?

• Options
    I think Golfies jokes should be vetted before he's allowed to post on here, they just seem to get worse.
  • Options
    How many players will be able to play at the required standard in this division, we just don't know. That's why I don't expect us to go mad on the transfer front this summer - as I think we will use this season to see where the team needs strengthening and then get those players for the season after that. I see this season as one of consolidation and thus, my expectations are low. Survival in this division is a must, but anything beyond that is just a bonus. Whoever we get in will still fit in with the 'Charlton/SCP type player' profile, which excludes most, if not all, premiership players. That is fine by me, because like everyone else, I have seen our money pissed away on prem league big names that also had the big egos and ultimately played a significant part in our fall from grace in the past five years. Our new type player will be younger, hungrier and cheaper - if they are also a quality footballer, then that's a great result for the club. If not, then we keep looking.

Anyway, as has been said above, if we were signing the likes of Murphy and Andrews then it would have meant that our wage structure would have gone stratospheric, as both were players who could still have found other prem clubs to take them next season, so they must have been given bus-loads of cash to sign for Blackburn/Bolton. As KHA says, they are both chucking money on a bet that they will be promoted straight back to the prem this season. If they lose that bet, however, their fans will really have something to moan about because they'll probably both go bust!
  • Options
    How many players will be able to play at the required standard in this division, we just don't know. That's why I don't expect us to go mad on the transfer front this summer - as I think we will use this season to see where the team needs strengthening and then get those players for the season after that. I see this season as one of consolidation and thus, my expectations are low. Survival in this division is a must, but anything beyond that is just a bonus. Whoever we get in will still fit in with the 'Charlton/SCP type player' profile, which excludes most, if not all, premiership players. That is fine by me, because like everyone else, I have seen our money pissed away on prem league big names that also had the big egos and ultimately played a significant part in our fall from grace in the past five years. Our new type player will be younger, hungrier and cheaper - if they are also a quality footballer, then that's a great result for the club. If not, then we keep looking.

Anyway, as has been said above, if we were signing the likes of Murphy and Andrews then it would have meant that our wage structure would have gone stratospheric, as both were players who could still have found other prem clubs to take them next season, so they must have been given bus-loads of cash to sign for Blackburn/Bolton. As KHA says, they are both chucking money on a bet that they will be promoted straight back to the prem this season. If they lose that bet, however, their fans will really have something to moan about because they'll probably both go bust!
    Excellent post
  • Options
    Great post bigstemarra
  • Options

Finally somebody talking some sense!
  • Options
    Mybe Derby valued him more and offered more money. Not like we missed out on Messi!
  • Options

Finally somebody talking some sense!

Ditto from me.

In SCP we trust- don't forget it please !

• Options

Possibly the best & most sensible post I have ever read on this forum. Give him a gold star!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Chris Powell said we were in Tk Max last year?

• Options
    What i was trying to say was , turn the clocks back a year , we were in League 1 , had a crap season , and couldn't have dreamt we would have brought so many players in , gelled quickloy and ran away with the league , same again please!! :-0
  • Options
    Even though reports suggest Keith Andrews is signing for bolton, charlton have offered him a contract too but obviously not as good as boltons, shame that would add extra bite to our midfield for the new season
  • Options
    Even though reports suggest Keith Andrews is signing for bolton, charlton have offered him a contract too but obviously not as good as boltons, shame that would add extra bite to our midfield for the new season
    Source?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    What i was trying to say was , turn the clocks back a year , we were in League 1 , had a crap season , and couldn't have dreamt we would have brought so many players in , gelled quickloy and ran away with the league , same again please!! :-0
    Say that in a Brummie accent, it works!
  • Options
    How is it that some people on here know everything that the club do but don't actually give any information?
  • Options
    How is it that some people on here know everything that the club do but don't actually give any information?
    It 'twas for ever thus!

• Options
    'Cos they tell big fibs!
  • Options
    transfer news central on Facebook, like their page! Very decent and reliable

Source?
  • Options
    Sorry that would be telling.

And in truth, anybody who comes out with statements like "Can't say anything but........" I immediately start scrolling to the next comment on the thread. Why? Because it's usually absolute tosh.