Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amsterdam

2»

Comments

• Options
    For those of you who go the 'dam for the smoke, you should really try popping over to Denhaag sometime, I found the 'erb there to be of a lot better quality.

Having said that if you find yourself near Damkring, get a gram of the Waterworks 100, it's E100 for the gram but very, very worth it.

Apart from that, the sex museum is great, as is the heiny museum. If it's open, the cannabis college is a cool place to go, see all the products they make from hemp and check out their GIANT plants. I went 6/7 times during my 3 year stay at Hull uni, one visit was for 2 weeks, it really is my favourite city in the world. (for obvious reasons)
    Den Haag (The Hague) is a pretty good place to stay for a night or two....very nice bars and a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere to Amsterdam.....or at least thats how I found it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I loved it there, much less 'party' that Amsterdam whilst still being a great night out.
  • Options
    The Van Gogh Museum is superb.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The Van Gogh Museum is superb.
    'ear, 'ear

Sorry demob happy for the weekend

:-)
  • Options
    10 of us are off to Amsterdam this Friday for a mates 40th. Recommendations for Bars, Live music venues etc will be appreciated. Cheers!
  • Options
    Just booked a w/end away with the missus in 4 weeks time. She's looking forward to visiting the Anne Frank museum and I'll be waiting for her in a coffee shop. ;-)
  • Options
    The Red Light Bar on the main strip is good. If you're staying out past 3AM then go to San Franciscos, one the few places open at that time.
  • Options
    Thanks cafctom
  • Options

Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the Dutch have passed a law stopping any non-Dutch people being served in the coffee shops.

If you are from an EU country it would be a breach of the convention if they served only Dutch nationals and not you.

• Options

Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the Dutch have passed a law stopping any non-Dutch people being served in the coffee shops.

If you are from an EU country it would be a breach of the convention if they served only Dutch nationals and not you.

That law only comes into play in january, I have just come from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are alternatives to the coffee shops, the Ij brewery is near the centre, a great selection of beer, they do interesting tours too. It's next to Amsterdam's largest windmill too, so you can tick that touristy box off too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwerij_'t_IJ

• Options

There are alternatives to the coffee shops, the Ij brewery is near the centre, a great selection of beer, they do interesting tours too. It's next to Amsterdam's largest windmill too, so you can tick that touristy box off too.

But do they sell jazz cigarettes?
  • Options
    This stuff about the coffee shops keeps popping up, it was said about this year last year and so on...

I was there at New Years (and I can't really be assed with coffee shops tbh) but I remember people claiming that come Jan 1st tourists wouldn't be allowed in any of them; of course this turned out nonsense.

If you look it up you'll see the trial run that they tried on a smaller town; where crime increased it had to be called off. (Can't remember when this was but it was reported on BBC News) so I personally don't see it going ahead.

I also doubt that the Dutch give too much shit about EU regulations. I ended up in a few pubs that turned a blind eye to smoking despite the EU regs. The Dutch don't really seem to care, which is refreshing.

It's worth going out there for more than the coffee shops though, it truly is a beautiful city. It's a little embarassing when you see the young chavs getting off the plane and singing out loud about just going there to get smashed. Yet all the Dutch people I spoke to seemed to love us Brits.

Compare the prostitutes in the district depending on the timing; the difference is mental. Bargain specials in the afternoon and top quality in the evening. (you can compare by window shopping ;))

I ended up spending 4 days just walking around the place, did a few museums and a canal tour where you could get on and off where you liked. Saw some awesome stuff.

Ate a few times at one of the many little argie restaurants where they do lovely steaks.

I meant to go out there this summer as I wanted to go at a time where it would be nice to just chill in the evenings; rather than shivering my ass off avoiding the rain!
  • Options

But do they sell jazz cigarettes?
    After drinking a few of the lovely 9% Ij Columbus, you won't be able to pick up, let alone smoke jazz cigarettes :-)
  • Options
    when i was there in july we went to cafe belgique basically every evening - it is tiny but you can stand in the street if need be. some fantastic beer sold in here, just off the main street down from the railway station. loads of belgian beers and some local ones too i think - got some strong ones in there. Good atmosphere too
  • Options
    Van Gogh museum, the Reicksmuseum (spelling) if it has reopened . And if you like a puff, authentic Afghan/Kashmiri hash and not the stinking chemical ridden 'skunk' which I am told is endemic on the streets of 'the smoke'