Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP John Yarnton.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Well said Airman.

John always had something to say and always told me off. Going to be a huge miss next season.

RIP John.
  • Options
    Very sad news. RIP John
  • Options
    Very sad news, in recent years John was to be found in and around the media area, and loved a bit of banter, and as others have testified he was always ready to air his views, although obviously unwell he rarely missed a game last season and was always more than happy to deliver an opinion, we took quite a few former players through to our studio next to the press area, and they would all, to a man stop and chat with John, as LenGlover recalled, John was mentioned in Garry Nelson's book, and he and Garry bumped into each other a couple of times last season, their conversations were lively affairs, I personally enjoyed my chats with John immensely and his love of all things Charlton was there to see, I am just glad that John was able, in his final season to see a superb team play. Arriving at the press area will not be the same without Johns presence, and he will be missed.
  • Options
    Very friendly bloke, could tell he knew a bluffer when he saw one.

Real genuine Charlton supporter who didn't need to wear the colours, you knew.

RIP John
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Very sad news. John was a good man, in the straightest, most old fashioned sense of the phrase. What you saw was what you got.

He had seen my grandfather, father and myself in the Charlton press box, and even having turned 40, I was destined to always be "son" to John. "What do you make of that, eh, son?" would greet me at the end of a game. I knew if John agreed with my answer, because he nodded, then, if we had won, he smiled, and if we lost, he sighed. If he disagreed, he would put me right, and no matter how tight the deadline, or how frantic the day, he did it with the sort of polite directness which made it impossible to ignore. His was an opinion worth seeking.

He un-apologetically viewed life through a Charlton-coloured prism, and never knowingly witnessed a referee who didn't harbour some secret grudge against us. Or at least, he never admitted as such until long after the final whistle when tempers had calmed. He muttered at more opposition managers than anyone I've ever known. Few press conferences went by without a gruff "What game was 'e watchin', then?" arriving sotto voce from the back of the room.

John was like Monty Python's referee who, unable to resist a swirling cross, leaped to nod a late winner, and celebrated wildly. He wasn't really supposed to get involved in arguing with managers, but the temptation was always just a bit too strong. He thought the world of Kevin Nolan and his wife Hazel, who in later years brought him along to The Valley, and the circle of friends who always surrounded him. He was a good man, good company and someone you could trust.

John was a reminder that, while players, owners and managers come and go, proper supporters are always there. Only now, he won't be. And he'll be greatly missed.
  • Options
    Lovely words Mick
  • Options
    Brilliant words Mick, and captured John perfectly
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Lots of great words here particularly from Mick and Pete. I can only really echo their comments, i was lucky enough to get to know John a little and he was a brilliant character friendly, funny,witty and always said what he thought, and some times what everyone else was thinking but didn't dare say! RIP will be sorely missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That is a lovely tribute from Mick Collins - beautifully written, amusing and poignant.
    RIP John.
  • Options
    RIP