Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pointless away treks to the ass end of knowwhere

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
What's the longest away trip you've undertaken on a weekday ....

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Newcastle away
    Everton
    Man city
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Blackburn
    Burnley
    Plymouth
    Torquay
    Exeter
    Newcastle

Do bank holiday mondays count ?? :-)
  • Options
    Everton & Liverpool in the same season (Both Defeats surprise surprise!)
  • Options
    Did Darlington to watch Welling on a Monday, by minibus
  • Options
    Man City

And Newcastle...but never got there...
  • Options
    Living on the edge of the Lake District the longest trek for us is to The Valley which we did regularly as lower west season ticket holders. In the end it all go too much with the cost, the journey home after being stuffed by Leeds, Chelsea etc and being stared at for shouting COMEONCHARLTON by others in the lower west who just clapped politely at times

Now we just go to away games, far better as the away Addicted shout, sing and generally support the team - see you at Villa Park! - COMEONCHARLTON
  • Options
    9 hours to Grimsby on a Friday night certainly the longest...got there just before half time...otherwise I did a mid week to Old Trafford a few years back...
  • Options
    Newcastle
    Carlisle
    Plymouth
    Blackpool
    Burnley (twice)
    Blackburn
    Oldham
    Bradford
    Liverpool

It just seems like more.
  • Options
    my wife travelled to the Burnley game, only for it to be called off and end up at Preston.

I went to the rearranged one. Freezing cold, no shots and the crowd calling for Billy Bonds to be put in charge !!
  • Options
    I've done a Torquay night game as well but it doesn't really count as I was staying down in Plymouth at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Everyone is forgetting "Operation Riverside"!! I know it was an important match to starrt with, but by the time of the long journey home it seemed pretty pointless...

I'm actually wearing the t-shirt at this very moment (I'm decorating)!
  • Options
    I rarely go to midweek away games cos sorting out work cover is too difficult, but when I was between jobs 7 or 8 years ago I went to Man United. It was about the time of the proposed SKY takeover, and there was a bloke protesting by streaking on the pitch. There were only about 600 of us there, but we still made more noise than the home fans for most of the game. On the way back, we got stuck in a traffic jam on the M6 at about 1am, and then one of the windows of the coach got bricked - in Shepherds Bush of all places! Didn't get back to Charlton til about 4:30am.
  • Options
    done newcastle 3 times on a weeknight , once stood on the terrace with me leg in plaster while little geordie herberts tried to throw pebbles at me
  • Options
    Does F.C. Utrecht on a Friday count ??
  • Options
    or Rhoda a few years ago-

Drove it with three others in the car and got lost- walked into the stadium as the match kicked off- talk about cutting it fine!
  • Options
    Being a self-confessed part-timer plastic I don't do many away games. Once went to the Den midweek but the furthest midweek trip I made was a 700 mile round trip to fix one of our remote staffs' computer. The fix involved plugging it in and turning it on. On the bright side I get a pretty good mileage rate so I was quids in, but i suppose that doesn't really count.
  • Options
    will there be many other takers to Hull and Cardiff midweek this season to add to the list ?
  • Options
    Drove to Sunderland a few years back. Watched my mates get slowly hammered throughout the day, got there and realised I'd left my coat at home! (it was in November)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]will there be many other takers to Hull and Cardiff midweek this season to add to the list ?

not many.
    there will be more that will take the piss out of plymouths support when they come to the valley on a tuesday night.
  • Options
    Anconna/Brescia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheff U midweek- no more than 50 of us there around 95/6

Tempted to do Cardiff away this season- see how we get on the month before at the home match (??)
  • Options
    Suprising how many don't do these.....
  • Options
    Boro and Bolton
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my wife travelled to the Burnley game, only for it to be called off and end up at Preston.

I went to the rearranged one. Freezing cold, no shots and the crowd calling for Billy Bonds to be put in charge !![/quote]

i DID THAT BLOODY bURNLEY ONE AS WELL.

Colchester fans were gobsmacked when we went in their end - unbeknown to us our future skipper was playing that night if I remember rightly.

Newcastle away midweek when Gordon Watson scored
    everton midweek - Mortimer speicial that night LOST 3-2
    liverpool away - night when steve mckenzie nearly scored with that volley from about 35 yards only for Grobelaar to catch it - 99% of keeprs would have tipped it over and lost to cheating John Filthy Aldgridge diving penalty - bitter me NEVER.
  • Options
    Brescia by coach
    Ancona
    Roda
    Lyngby
    Burnley only for the game to be called off b4 the coach got there
    Irish tours x 2
  • Options
    Sunderland - when Phil Chapple played centre forward

Missed KO because we stopped at a service station and got directions from Sid Cheesewright.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Liverpool (League Cup and FA Cup)
    Boro (Operation Riverside)
    Newcastle (FA Cup Replay)
    Man City (Maine Road in Div 1 and PL)
    Man U (at least twice)
    Brum
    Villa
    Bristol City (cant remember the game but it wasn't that game)
    Leeds (twice)
  • Options
    Went to see England away at both Turkey & Norway in a day.

After the Norway game when we lost 2-0 (Taylor era) our plane was parked next to the teams. Got lead away at gunpoint when I tried to board their plane and give them a load of abuse!!
  • Options
    friendlys with hibs and bershot last year
    newcastle league
    boro fa cup
    bolton last season
    man u
    liverpool both cups
    st pats, brey and ucd in dublin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Sheff U midweek- no more than 50 of us there around 95/6

I went to Sheff Utd in 1985 and there were less than 50.