Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The weather in America right now....

2»

Comments

• Options
    It seems odd that professional scientists who make it their life's work to understand climate change are almost to a man behind the idea.....
    It's either make a living out of an obscure short term hypothesis, carry on sticking needles into rats or down the dole office. So I don't find it odd. Nor do I find those eminent scientsits who poo poo the idea.

We're still coming out of an ice age - of course we've got global warming. If the temp carries on rising in about a five million years time then perhaps we can worry. But I gaurantee you all the fossil fuels will be long gone by then.

What we really need to do is stop the world's cattle farting.

A very valid point. If we ate the vegetation instead of converting it into meat by feeding it to cows, the planet would be all the better for it.
    Rice is a great methane producer
  • Options
    It seems odd that professional scientists who make it their life's work to understand climate change are almost to a man behind the idea.....
    It's either make a living out of an obscure short term hypothesis, carry on sticking needles into rats or down the dole office. So I don't find it odd. Nor do I find those eminent scientsits who poo poo the idea.

We're still coming out of an ice age - of course we've got global warming. If the temp carries on rising in about a five million years time then perhaps we can worry. But I gaurantee you all the fossil fuels will be long gone by then.

A very valid point. If we ate the vegetation instead of converting it into meat by feeding it to cows, the planet would be all the better for it.
    The day they can make lettuce taste like bacon I'm with you. Until then...

• Options
    edited July 2012

The day they can make lettuce taste like bacon I'm with you. Until then...

Come on - I'm tired of feeling guilty for driving a car so I thought I'd swap it for feeling guilty about eating meat! ;-)

On a serious note, I wasn't aware of the rice/methane link, but an article I just read says that China is dramatically cutting the amount of methane produced by changes in the way they grow rice.
  • Options
    Most of the Methane cows emit is from belching.
  • Options
    Not felching?
  • Options
    Well so far the 'dinasours' outlived us so not sure how you are measuring that, certainly agree we have potential to adapt, i am sure we could eventually live on Mars but it wouldn't be much fun
    An unfair test, we are still here, dinosours are not.
    Some are

• Options

Human children are the biggest threat to the world's climate. Humans have developed above animals in every way - except for the basic need to reproduce. Animals reproduce to ensure the survival of the speicies. Well we have ensured the survival of the species and gone past that into endangering the survival of the speicies by creating and being able to sustain our numbers beyond any natural impacts.
    If more countries had population targets this would have way more impact on the earth than any CO2 SOX or NOX emmissions reduction targets.
  • Options
    Very very true DRF.
    Khun Mechai, The Condom King in Thailand has worked miracles reducing the birth rate, meaning there are more resources left for everyone to share.
    http://maytermthailand.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/mechai-viravaidya-the-condom-king/

I would add though, that the richer the child's parents the more they contribute to the enhanced greenhouse effect.
  • Options
    Very very true DRF.
    Khun Mechai, The Condom King in Thailand has worked miracles reducing the birth rate, meaning there are more resources left for everyone to share.
    http://maytermthailand.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/mechai-viravaidya-the-condom-king/

I would add though, that the richer the child's parents the more they contribute to the enhanced greenhouse effect.
    But isn't there also a correlation between the richness of the parents and the number of children they are likely to have? So although the rich people's one child would have a higher than average impact the poorer family would have more children and the poorer family would therefore generate more per family despite it being less per child.

But its so cool that you added that link - Cabbages and Condoms remains one of my favourite resaturants in the world. Great Scottish / Thai decor, they do a lovely deep fried crab, they have ladies giving foot massages after the meal and everyone gets a condom. Plus a proportion of profits go to family planning projects.

A great guy.
  • Options
    they do a lovely deep fried crab
    B in Thailand is pronounced as pb (which sounds impossible I know). Some menus have crab with a wrong spelling. As a friend of mine said when his company's Christmas dinner had "peppered crap" as one of the items - I don't care how much pepper they stick on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Very very true DRF.

But isn't there also a correlation between the richness of the parents and the number of children they are likely to have? So although the rich people's one child would have a higher than average impact the poorer family would have more children and the poorer family would therefore generate more per family despite it being less per child.

But its so cool that you added that link - Cabbages and Condoms remains one of my favourite resaturants in the world. Great Scottish / Thai decor, they do a lovely deep fried crab, they have ladies giving foot massages after the meal and everyone gets a condom. Plus a proportion of profits go to family planning projects.

A great guy.
    One of the best DRF.
    For a decade or so I was able to co-ordinate interns for Khun Mechai as well as funding for his touring condom bus which did so much to improve life in remote communities in Thailand.

As for your point about poor=large families, rich=small, the table here maks interesting reading

Note the rising trends in places like the UK, Sweden, Slovakia, Russia, Norway, Netherlands.
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

Then you need to work out some kind of factor - does a UK child consume three times/five times/20 times the resources of a Rwandan? Food/fuel/clothes/electronics etc

With a few exceptions ELDC's have drastically falling birth rates.

As for C and C is the giant condom still hanging by the garden and the condom carpets still in place?

• Options
    Are we saying babies farting are the cause ;0)
  • Options
    So the soaring temperatures in Atlanta were caused by cows and giant condoms? Wow!
  • Options
    Global warming and climate change are figments of the imagination, the Earth will regularly cool down or warm up throughout it's life cycle. Crazy weather is just part of the cycle. We'll be seeing a load of plagues soon I expect ;-)
    How can the Earth regularly cool down or warm up without climate change? Think on.
    I mean climate change as the media puts it, as in we are changing the climate due to burning fossil fuels etc. Of course there is climate change, otherwise we wouldn't have seasons and such, but I don't believe for a second that we can ever do enough to permanently influence the Earth's fluctuations within it's life cycle
    Spot on, some people in life are dumb as fk about all this weather though, they just do not understand anything whatsoever about the Earth.
    Blimey! You still here?
  • Options
    So the soaring temperatures in Atlanta were caused by cows and giant condoms? Wow!
    I heard it was a butterfly in the Charlton boardroom