Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tottenham Appoint A V B

That's their Championship and European ambitions gone for the next few seasons. This is a very very strange appointment given VB's humiliating time at Chelsea. I hope that I am being too pessimistic. Under Harry, Spurs were a truly exciting team to watch.

Comments

• Options
    I think he is a good manager. he just tried to get rid of the Chelsea old guard to quickly.
  • Options
    Will work out well imo
  • Options
    Very risky appointment. Should have stuck with Harry but at the end of the day i couldn't care less what happens at Spurs.
  • Options
    Very good appointment. Although it is a big change that needs time. Redknapp was a tactical dinosaur who couldn't read or write but was very good at motivating and making his players feel good.

AVB is a thorough and intelligent young upstart who now has a history of upsetting previously pampered players.

Could play out in a number of ways
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It will be a complete disaster. he walks away with a fair few million and spurs get relegated. we can only hope.
  • Options
    I can see this being there downfall
  • Options
    If the spurs fan is in tomorrow I'll do a bet with him that they won't make the top 4, it will be like buying money.
  • Options
    This COULD be a very shrewd appointment. It is well documented that the players at Chelsea didn't take to AVB however his record at Porto was phenominal. I dont know the exact figures but it was something like Played 51, won 46, drawn 2, lost 2!! If, & it is a big if, the Tottenham players buy into his philosophy, it could be a very good appointment. If not, I fear he wont last 12 months. Be interesting to see what happens
  • Options
    Who had heard of this kid 3 years ago, and now he is feted as the new messiah!
    Re His record. It could be argued that there is not that much competition in Portugal.

I hope he takes them down. Cant stand Spurs.
  • Options

Re His record. It could be argued that there is not that much competition in Portugal.

He also won the Portuguese Cup & Europa league that season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where's John Boy?
  • Options
    Where's John Boy?
    Crying?
  • Options
    Who had heard of this kid 3 years ago, and now he is feted as the new messiah!

I personally think he's just a very naughty boy
  • Options
    Seems a very strange appointment to me considering what happened at Chelsea. Do Spurs really think they are better off with AVB than Harry? Frankly I doubt it but only time will tell.
  • Options
    Remember how bad Pardew was going to be for Newcastle.

Different club, different players. Harry will be a hard act to follow but he may surprise a few people.
  • Options
    Very good appointment. Although it is a big change that needs time. Redknapp was a tactical dinosaur who couldn't read or write but was very good at motivating and making his players feel good.

AVB is a thorough and intelligent young upstart who now has a history of upsetting previously pampered players.

Could play out in a number of ways
    tactical dinosaur?lol spurs played some great football last season and were unlucky to not get CL........AVB could be a great appointment, proved himself at Porto, just tried to change chelsea far to quick and annoyed the real managers at chelsea lampard and john terry.

• Options
    Think I read somewhere Di Matteo had a similar win % to AVB. Hard to know how good he is, tried playing his way at Chelsea and tried moving on the old guard but their disgusting un-professionalism ended in his downfall, maybe it was naive of him to try and do that in his first season but then again as a player you should respect the manager's wishes.
  • Options
    Where's John Boy?
    Crying?
    I'm here. Not crying, got a big smile on my face after collecting my handsome winnings from Ladbrokes :-)

How do I feel about it? Nervously excited lol. He plays football the right way and he'll be keen to prove himself. He is a good manager. His record in Portugal was excellent. I'm sure Levy will back him in the transfer market too. He was unlucky at Chelsea. As everyone said, he tried to clear the old guard out. Ok, they may have won the CL but they still do need to clear the old guard out and they'll struggle as they do it. Of course, every managerial appointment comes with an element of risk. I just hope he gets off to a half-decent start otherwise it'll be jittery.

Assuming Modric departs to the highest bidder shortly, will be interesting to see what way he sees us playing and what his plans are.
    At the end of the day, I'm glad we've gone for a manager who likes to play football. I dread to think how I'd be feeling now if David Moyes had just been appointed instead.

I note AVB's title is Head Coach. Presumably that means we're going back to having a Sporting Director, Director of Football type post.

• Options
    I note AVB's title is Head Coach. Presumably that means we're going back to having a Sporting Director, Director of Football type post.

Uncle David Pleat ? .... (: ->)
  • Options
    Where's John Boy?
    Crying?
    I'm here. Not crying, got a big smile on my face after collecting my handsome winnings from Ladbrokes :-)

How do I feel about it? Nervously excited lol. He plays football the right way and he'll be keen to prove himself. He is a good manager. His record in Portugal was excellent. I'm sure Levy will back him in the transfer market too. He was unlucky at Chelsea. As everyone said, he
    tried to clear the old guard out. Ok, they may have won the CL but they still do need to clear the old guard out and they'll struggle as they do
    it. Of course, every managerial appointment comes with an element of risk. I just hope he gets off to a half-decent start otherwise it'll be
    jittery.

Assuming Modric departs to the highest bidder shortly, will be interesting to see what way he sees us playing and what his plans are.
    At the end of the day, I'm glad we've gone for a manager who likes to play football. I dread to think how I'd be feeling now if David Moyes
    had just been appointed instead.

I note AVB's title is Head Coach. Presumably that means we're going back to having a Sporting Director, Director of Football type post

Where can you see yourselfs finishing under AVB? What will you fellow supporters thoughts be do you reckon?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it won't work and its a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Can't say I agree with this, Braga, Benfica, Porto and Lisbon snap up all the good talent and therefore remain competitive season on season. To dominate that league and go unbeaten all season at home is a massive achievement. He will unfortunately do well there, and he won't need to upset a few of the old guard as there isn't any!
  • Options
    John boy I reckon you will do ok under him to be honest

No one can read in to Chelsea as the influence of the players there is totally lop sided

Is there any truth in Jo and Daniel selling up to a middle eastern consortium I have had loads of pals telling me they are about to be richer than citeeh I saw it mentioned here but was not sure if it was true

What's the noises from within the yid camp
  • Options
    Where's John Boy?
    Crying?

How do I feel about it? Nervously excited lol. He plays football the right way and he'll be keen to prove himself. He is a good manager. His record in Portugal was excellent. I'm sure Levy will back him in the transfer market too. He was unlucky at Chelsea. As everyone said, he
    tried to clear the old guard out. Ok, they may have won the CL but they still do need to clear the old guard out and they'll struggle as they do
    it. Of course, every managerial appointment comes with an element of risk. I just hope he gets off to a half-decent start otherwise it'll be
    jittery.

At the end of the day, I'm glad we've gone for a manager who likes to play football. I dread to think how I'd be feeling now if David Moyes
    had just been appointed instead.

I note AVB's title is Head Coach. Presumably that means we're going back to having a Sporting Director, Director of Football type post

Where can you see yourselfs finishing under AVB? What will you fellow supporters thoughts be do you reckon?
    Honestly? 5th. Any higher very much depends on how Ars*nal and Chelsea do. Both have spent money. We need to do so too.
  • Options
    I think he'll do well, definite for top 6 again
  • Options
    He made a big mistake in trying to clear out the old guard as an announced 'project' rather than phasing them out slowly. Drogba's contract ran out at the end of this season anyway, Terry isn't finished at all, and he could have used Lampard sparingly in a much more sensible way - look at Ferguson with Scholes and Giggs.

Think he was doomed from then on as the big players had the dressing room - think it's therefore hard to tell how he did apart from that, and Spurs is a different club, different scenario. Did very well for a year at Porto, and plays good football, which fits at Spurs. Could be a good appointment.

Think you do Moyes down though, JohnBoyUK, he'd have done a very good job in my opinion.
  • Options
    Like all managers he needs a bit of time and breathing space, he'll be with Spurs all through pre-season and has some good players to work with. Bale has just signed a new contract, some dead wood has been shifted and he'll have some money to spend.

I'm pleased that he's staying in England - I liked the way Porto played and his attempts to get Chelsea playing the same way were the right idea, perhaps a year or so too early for the old guard. In time he should be good for the England team if he can develop one or two decent home grown players and train them up properly.
  • Options
    It could go either way really. I don't think spurs will get off to winning ways straight away with him. AVB will need time and sufficient funds to create his own Spurs. Parker might be fazed out.
  • Options
    GREAT APPOINTMENT
  • Options
    all of a sudden Spurs fans in the office love him, tactical genius etc.....if you'd told them at christmas that he'd be in charge of them at the start of next season they'd have cried

fickle....that's football fans for you.

personally I think it will end in tears and Spurs won't be in the top 4 this season, he's a poor man's Jose Mourinho