Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England up to 4th in Fifa world rankings

Comments

• I was looking at it the other day. Teams that lose on penalties still get points.
  • Probably the best way is to weight tournaments much higher - but I suppose England were technically unbeaten so wouldn't have done that poorly based on the Euros. You can't take into account the way they play.

• England have - in history - made the last four of 3 tournaments, two at home, so an ability to dispose of Montenegro in the group phases is neither here nor there.

I'd have thought that if you gave every international manager the choice of four teams that they'd like immunity from playing in tournaments that England wouldn't feature in a single list.
  • I'm pretty sure- penalty shoot outs don't influence the rankings - which is probably correct.
    Win, draw or defeat

In previous years a complicated system of points allocation was used, depending on how strong the opponent was, and how large the loss margin, which allowed weaker losing teams to gain points when playing a much stronger opposition, if they managed to put up a decent match. With the new system, the points allocation is simpler: three points for a win, one point for a draw, and zero points for a loss, in line with most league systems around the world.

In the event of a match being decided by a penalty shootout, the winning team receives two points, and the losing team one point.

Result

Win (penalty shootout)

Draw

Loss (penalty shootout)

Loss (no penalty shootout)

• Apparently the rankings were to be used as a tie-break in the Euro group stages if points/goal diff/head to head/away spport/height of the back four etc couldn't separate teams.
  • I think top 10 should be:

Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Italy, England, Uruguay, Holland, France

• I think top 10 should be:

Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Italy, England, Uruguay, Holland, France

Although they beat us not to long ago, i dont think Holland can beat themselves out of a wet paper bag...
  • I'm pretty sure- penalty shoot outs don't influence the rankings - which is probably correct.
    Doesn't this basically mean then that you get a better ranking if you go out on penalties at an earleir stage than if you lose in the final?

Which is clearly shit.
  • Apparently the rankings were to be used as a tie-break in the Euro group stages if points/goal diff/head to head/away spport/height of the back four etc couldn't separate teams.
    Really? I never heard this mentioned once, they kept going on about it all coming down to a coin toss - which I think they've done before?
  • Its complete rubbish if I am honest, I think that only one is about right and that is Spain at number 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Its complete rubbish if I am honest, I think that only one is about right and that is Spain at number 1
    Hmmm not sure about that. After all they are "boring"

;-)
    Doesn't this basically mean then that you get a better ranking if you go out on penalties at an earleir stage than if you lose in the final?

Which is clearly shit.
    And wrong, you're always at least a point better of having won the penalty shoot out, even if you go out in the very next game. If you don't lose the next game, you're accruing even more points that you wouldn't have got if you'd gone out on penalties.

Under the old system it could have been better to go out. Say you beat Spain on penalties, and then face a surprise opponent (like Greece) and lose. You'd be worse off under the old system than if you'd lost on penalties to Spain, and avoided the defeat to a lower ranked opponent.

I imagine this is why the system was changed, shock results in the knock-out stages of competitions were probably having too big an effect on the rankings.

• People getting upset at FIFA over this, you all need to realise there are bigger and better sticks to beat FIFA with than this. Is this system perfect? No of course it isn't. Is it that fairest way of doing it? Probably.

For those moaning about where we are compared to Italy, remember this takes in a 4 year period, this time 2 years ago they finished bottom of their WC group behind New Zealand, isn't it fair that that is taken into consideration with what they have just acheived over the past month? I would say so. As of this point in time are they better than England, well obviously based on what they did at the Euros but as I said this is a 4 year average, if the rankings were done to look at the past 6 months then Italy would clearly be above England.

If people don't like this system then just ignore it, not like it actually affects anything in the real world.
    Really? I never heard this mentioned once, they kept going on about it all coming down to a coin toss - which I think they've done before?
    First I heard about it was in the Daily Scouser Torygraph during the tournament - I checked it (link attached folks!) and it was the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system which is probably the European version of the FIFA index. The only criteria below the ranking is the fair play index - should have got Paul Miller out of retirement to exploit that.

http://fredericiana.com/2012/06/12/uefa-euro-2012-tie-breaker-rules/

Which is clearly shit.
    If you can get to the final whilst losing everygame. (you can't)
  • It's because we are one of the only nations not to test things out in friendlies.

We always stick to our first team. Even if we played San Marino we would still start with Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry etc...

Whereas other countries try out youngsters and different formations etc...

Realistically England should be below Spain, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Germany, Uruguay, Argentina, Croatia, Brazil, France and Russia...

Making us around 12th.

4th is a JOKE.
  • I'm not sure about Croatia and Russia and probably on par with a very temperemental French squad!
  • I'm not sure about Croatia and Russia and probably on par with a very temperemental French squad!
    A french team that battered us in the opening match of the Euro's?

I think Croatia would beat us.

I sort of agree with you on Russia but I think over 10 matches they would win more.

I sort of agree with you on Russia but I think over 10 matches they would win more.
    I'm pretty sure we drew...

Yes but we got absolutely battered in terms of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• They're incredibly inconsistent though. On another day, they would've put us to the sword, and on another we would've won by 2 goals.

They lost to a Sweden side who were already out and then caused no threat to what everyone thought at the time was a struggling Spanish side after their group matches against Italy and Croatia.
  • I suppose you could say that Spain and England were the only 2 unbeaten team sin the Euros!!!!
  • I suppose you could say that Spain and England were the only 2 unbeaten team sin the Euros!!!!
    England were beaten.

And you forgot Portugal if you're going to go with that way of thinking.
  • Portugal lost to Germany in their first game

So rather than the old fashioned way of counting goals, FIFA should go on the opinion of " some random bloke on an Internet forum" then, Diz? ;-)

So rather than the old fashioned way of counting goals, FIFA should go on the opinion of " some random bloke on an Internet forum" then, Diz? ;-)
    Would solve the need for goal line tech. ;-0)
  • I thought this thread was a joke thread untill i just saw the rankings myself. Cant believe it!
  • Fact - next month England will move up to third due to Uruguay's performance over the last year!
  • Not exactly sure how much baring friendlies have as I read, Ireland went down 2 places after beating Italy in a neutral friendly. Have always thought its a strange way of doing things.
    Depends if you think Charlton beat Chelsea at the Bridge in the league cup I suppose Muttley? We should ask Jose...