Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dongle Advice needed

There's a phrase I never thought I would use.

So I've got a new telly with internet capability. Guy in Curry's was suggesting I paid £60 for a dongle which coincidently was the most expensive in the shop.

So what size dongle do I need (stop laughing at the back, you dirty minded boy) and how much?

And can I use the same dongle for a lap top?

What about linking a laptop to a printer via wi-fi?

Come on all you IT geeks experts, help me out.

Comments

• Options
    The answer, as always, is what do you want to use the dongle for? If it's storing films then as big as you can afford ideally. Avoid buying at Curry's though, check out Amazon, or any online retailer.

e.g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-Drive/dp/B005FYNT3G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341417226&sr=8-3
  • Options
    Cheers Andy,

Not sure to be honest, watch films on things like Love Films or Netflicks would be the main thing for now but I'm sure my son would find other uses.

Wasn't thinking of downloading films but youtube or even CAFC player would be good on a big screen assuming that is possible.

• Options
    cant you just plug the TV into your router?
  • Options
    Ive been trying something called tplink works over your mains leccy - little bit of technical nous required tho, take a butchers on amazon
  • Options
    Or you can get a wifi extender for about 30 quid that has four ports, your tv needs a network port tho of course
  • Options
    I got a dongle on my 3d tv.

Sadly my broadband is shit so never download anything as it takes hours and hours!

Just as easy to get Netflix etc on PS3 and watch it that way
  • Options
    I think the type of Dongle that Curry's would try to provide with the TV is just one to allow the TV to receive information wirelessly from the router.
    You could plug the router directly into the TV, if it's close enough, as suggested by Riscardo.
    I wouldn't think it's a dongle that 'holds' files / films - just one that includes the tv on your wireless network for streaming.

I googled our TV make & model to try and find a compatiable alternative to the dongle that should be used with our set, but in the end managed to get the 'recommended' one of fleabay, brand new, about £ 30.00 cheaper.
  • Options
    My wifi extender was 30 quid and will do the same job as a dongle assuming tv has an ethernet network socket
  • Options
    As has been said- these things are always a lot cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.
  • Options
    I think the type of Dongle that Curry's would try to provide with the TV is just one to allow the TV to receive information wirelessly from the router.
    You could plug the router directly into the TV, if it's close enough, as suggested by Riscardo.
    I wouldn't think it's a dongle that 'holds' files / films - just one that includes the tv on your wireless network for streaming.
    This
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi tiddeley hi ti shite or bust
    Never let your dongle dangle in the dust.

Remember that and you'll never go far wrong.
  • Options
    Linking a laptop to a WiFi printer. The WiFi printer has a driver disc that you load on to your laptop. The disc program once downloaded to your laptop runs you through the set up process and you can then print to your hearts content from anywhere within range.
  • Options
    I've got a dongle on my sony internet tv as it's upstairs and the router is downstairs. Was £60 but always works fine , great for iplayer.

If your tv is near your routher then you can just use an ethernet cable to plug in
  • Options
    Might be wrong on this, but I doubt the "internet" services on your tv are worth £60 (unless you get iPlayer I suppose, then it would be). Here, my Samsung internet services are shite: i plugged it in, it showed me the weather and other rubbish things. I use my appletv everyday though, for movies, music and netflix amongst other things. All personal preference to some degree I suppose.