Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Amazing Spiderman (spoliers included)

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
Saw it last night.

I loved the old Spiderman films so seeing the new reeboted series was a big deal.

I dont think, overall, it was as good as the last lot, but some things were improved.

It was much better in a way as it actually followed the pattern of the original comic book.

Im not a film critic so just a few points;
1. The lizards face as Dr Connors looked stupid
2. It ended well on a cliff hanger for the next one
3. The visuals were really impressive
4. The lizard should have been more evil and with more of an explanation to things
5. Good film, good characters. has the potential for a great 2nd film.

Enjoyed it and thought it was cool

Anyone seen it?

Comments

• Options
    Not seen it and have no plans to. Does no one think the whole remaking films business has got a bit ridiculous? And the Spiderman films being remade less than 5 YEARS after the last triology finished is kind of the final straw for me. If people continue going to see the films then film makers will continue to have a go and be successful. I'm sure a lot of work went into the films and I'm sure they're very good but am I the only one wishing for a bit of originality?
  • Options
    A complete an utter waste of time, Hollywood might as well put a big sign saying they are officially out of ideas. Rebooting 30-40-50 year old films/tv programs is bad enough, rebooting a franchise that was itself a reboot (of a reboot of a reboot of a comic) less than a decade after the third instalment of the last reboot is just desperate. And then when they reboot it they don't even tell us a different story, it's just the origin story over and over and over again. What's this Hollywood obsession with origin stories? Anybody who doesn't yet know how Peter Parker becomes spiderman clearly doesn't want to know!
  • Options
    A complete an utter waste of time, Hollywood might as well put a big sign saying they are officially out of ideas. Rebooting 30-40-50 year old films/tv programs is bad enough, rebooting a franchise that was itself a reboot (of a reboot of a reboot of a comic) less than a decade after the third instalment of the last reboot is just desperate. And then when they reboot it they don't even tell us a different story, it's just the origin story over and over and over again. What's this Hollywood obsession with origin stories? Anybody who doesn't yet know how Peter Parker becomes spiderman clearly doesn't want to know!
    You enjoyed it then.

Some people take things much to seriously.

It's a film you either want to see it or you don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So glad someone agrees with me. I was putting it delicately because for some reason I haven't seem many references to the fact that it's a remake, it's almost as if people have forgotten that there were 3 Spiderman films released just a few years ago. You would like to think that people will boycott it out of principal but I'm sure they won't. Which only sends out the message that with a big enough budget, ANYONE can have a go. If I won the lottery tomorrow I could choose any super hero story (the kind that a worrying amount of adults seem to be obsessed with today) and make it into a film, chuck a couple big names in there and I would double or even better my money.
  • Options
    It's not about taking a film seriously or not. It's about the fact that the dominant providers of film and tv entertainment can't/don't produce original content. It's about what is supposed to be an art form being completely dictated by accountants. And it's getting worse, in 20 years we'll have practically no original mass media, everything will be a reboot, sequel, prequel, re-imagining. We see this with teen pop, computer generated tracks, with computer altered vocals. We are saved in music at least by the fact that you can produce a song for a tiny outlay, and there are more and more ways of getting your music out there. Film is different, the cinemas and tv networks are controlled by the producers, there just isn't enough incentive to produce new and interesting films.
  • Options
    By the way, it's not a remake it's a reboot! *runs for cover....!*
  • Options

did he have sex with a spider?
  • Options
    Agree with what your saying Randy as it is true.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I saw this a few days ago. Didn't know it was a 'reboot' when I went to see it.

I was sat there, totally confused for the first 45 minutes. Because I'd seen this story before. Peter Parker, the nerd, picked on by bullies, gets bit by a spider and turns it around. Was this supposed to take place in an alternate universe to the other films? Why tell the same story again only very slightly differently?

There have been a number of reboots that have been done well or are quite interesting (Batman, Star Trek), and that was because they breathed fresh air into an old franchise. But this one is totally ridiculous. It is the same film as the first Spiderman only with a different nemesis.
  • Options
    I took my four-year old to see the film Tuesday.

Thought it was fantastic. Very well-done rendition of a comic book character that has been around since 1962.

Criticizing a comic book film for rebooting would seem to miss the point that the comic books (upon which the cinematic content is based) do this continually, retelling the same story over and over again from different perspectives and with relevance to contemporary times. There have been all kinds of attempts to bring Spiderman to the screen, mostly in tv shows, and they have all been nearly uniformly awful. Sam Raimi's version was remarkably good and reinvigorated the franchise. The fact that another very good film was made about the same character within shouting distance of Raimi concluding his efforts would seem to be a good thing. Ultimately, the Amazing Spiderman is a good and thoroughly entertaining movie.

The larger backdrop is that comic book movies have historically been terrible -- particularly those based on Marvel characters. That the content is so consistently good (and intelligent) now is remarkable.

The "nothing new under the sun" tag that seems to be the dominant meme is wrong. Before taking my daughter to the new spidey film, we saw Disney's Brave over the weekend. That, to both of us, was a new and interesting film. The top grossing film in America from the past weekend was the adult comedy Ted. What did that reboot or restart? There were more people at the theater to watch Magic Mike than Spidey. Is a movie about male strippers somehow better than Prometheus because it is original content? Is Oliver Stone's Savages of greater intrinsic value than The Avengers because it is an (arguably) novel idea?

Isn't the only thing that matters whether the story on the screen is good or not?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm really not sure whether to see this or not , i loved the 'Old' Spiderman films , i went to see one of them at the cinema 4 times i enjoyed it so much , i just don't know whether i will be constantly comparing it to the old ones and finding fault with it.

My 12 year old son is desperate to see it though and i don't want to rain on his parade.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Apparently if Sony don't keep making them, the rights move back to Marvel, and they'd lose all the toy tie-in money etc.

Plus Spiderman 3 was rubbish and I think they might have struggled to take the story somewhere, Toby Maguire was after massive money to carry on...

i.e. Financially, they 'had' to make one, and thought this would (in the short term and long) make more money.
  • Options
    I'm really not sure whether to see this or not , i loved the 'Old' Spiderman films , i went to see one of them at the cinema 4 times i enjiyed it so much , i just don't know whether i will be constantly comparing it to the old ones and finding fault with it.

My 12 year old son is desperate to see it though and i don't want to rain on his parade.
    This was my fear as well and I was fully prepared to be sorely disappointed -- even angry -- with something that fell short of the "old" films. To make it worse, at my daughter's behest, we watched Spiderman 2 prior to going to the cinema.

For me, a few minutes into the new film and those fears dissipated. If you end up taking your son, I hope they do for you as well.
  • Options
    The target market is surely those too young to see the previous ones it's not to do with running out of ideas surely
  • Options
    The target market is surely those too young to see the previous ones it's not to do with running out of ideas surely
    I think your right its for a new generation , not us old farts experienced Pro's.
  • Options
    Instead of rebooting in the modern age, I think they should have had it set in the 60s, in the time period when the comic came to life.

It would keep the iPhones etc out of it and would have been better and have felt more original.
  • Options
    I suspect Imax 3D will add some fun to the spectacle. At least I hope so, hoping for a mini roller coaster ride.
    As for re-boots, some work, as mentioned above Batman and Star Trek, others struggle e.g. Ed Norton's Incredidle Hulk.
    If Warners re-boot Nolan's Batman, that would be barmy. Suspect a Justice League movie will be on the cards to rival Avengers, after the Man of Steel's return (another re-boot?) next year.
  • Options

Im not a film critic so just a few points;
    1. The lizards face as Dr Connors looked stupid
    2. It ended well on a cliff hanger for the next one
    3. The visuals were really impressive
    4. The lizard should have been more evil and with more of an explanation to things
    5. Good film, good characters. has the potential for a great 2nd film.
    I am! And I agree with point 1.

It played out like a proper cynical Hollywood accountant's paint-it-by-numbers flick. Which isn't surprising after the way the reboot came about. But the plotholes! My word, the plotholes....

- The only reason Gwen worked (she's at high school!?) in a lab was so she could fulfil the plot requirement of searching the lab at the end. But a 16-year-old with a high-profile job inside a hi-tech lab? Seriously?

- What happened to Norman Osborne's rep who was on the bridge? He was never seen again!?

- The big finish - they replaced the poison with a cure - but who did they cure!? The 6 cops who took the entire final reel to transform presumably? But nobody else! Worst. Cure. Ever.

- Who decided to evacuate New York, and why!? How did anyone else know what was going on?

- I have no interest in seeing superheroes answer the mobile. Ridiculous.

- Spidey spent way too much time taking his mask off. Almost every major Spidey scene. Batman only did it after Rachel died. Briefly. Nolan won't let Bale take his cowl off on set, let alone to answer a frikkin mobile phone in the movie.

- The crane scene was one of the most pathetic/ ridiculous sequences in comic book movie history.

- What happened to Peter's search for the Uncle Ben killer? Clearly it's sequel baiting, but as a self-contained movie, it simply tailed off and didn't work.

- Andrew Garfield is bloody great in everything he does though.

For me, Spidey 2 is second only to The Dark Knight in comic book classics. It's fantastic. The Doc Ock sequences (especially the Evil Dead-style hospital scene), the elevated train bit... Raimi gave his movies a massive heart. This one is dead inside.

• Options
    i didnt think it was very good either it took roughly an hour to get to a point where u didnt know what was going to happen next for example uncle bens killing and peter getting bit by the spider was just a bit dull to watch also thought spiderman revealed his identity to a few too many people. However dr connors the lizard was a pretty awesome villain and definitely still a decent enough movie to watch just has nothing on batman which will undoubtably get far more seats sold when it comes out on the 20th
  • Options
    Not seen it and have no plans to. Does no one think the whole remaking films business has got a bit ridiculous? And the Spiderman films being remade less than 5 YEARS after the last triology finished is kind of the final straw for me. If people continue going to see the films then film makers will continue to have a go and be successful. I'm sure a lot of work went into the films and I'm sure they're very good but am I the only one wishing for a bit of originality?
    have to remember these arnt a remake of the same thing. they where spiderman. this is the amazing spiderman. two different things one was a cartoon one was a comic. film was good and the new actor looks just like peter parker (from the 'amazing spiderman')
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rubbish! Of course it's a remake/ reboot. Adding "Amazing" to the title does not make it an entirely different offering on any level. It's fundamentally the 2001 movie - the only real change in plot was the connection between Connors and the parents.
  • Options
    Haven't seen it yet so can't comment. When Piratebay seed a decent copy for me to view, I'll let you all know what I thought of it, as I certainly won't be spending my money to watch it.
  • Options
    I do expect the dark night rises to be alot better. Everyone loves batman.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the 2nd one to this?

Thought is was brilliant.

Actually looking forward to the 3rd now, bit of a spiderman comic geek.
  • Options
    Watched the first one last week and it was much better than i thought it was going to be. Makes the older one seem a lot cheesier.